John Murphy/The Score & Composer Thread

Does Lex need someone else to explain to him how to sleep better and be more productive? I get the idea though and I could see something like it.

Lex with classical music works but it is kind a cliche with the evil genius loving classical music.

Lex might be a man with no time for music or the arts, he might buy the most expensive paintings and have the greatest musicians play at his Galas but It could be fun that he truly has no care or interest in the arts at all, his mind is too busy that silence is what he loves... which could also be something that you can juxtapose with Superman and his love for arts and culture but also never really getting silent time as he hear the worlds problems.

I legit saw a video from a self improvement guru guy talking about how ashamed he was of his Spotify year end stats, and how much he time he wasted not listening to something more beneficial.

I legit saw a video from a self improvement guru guy talking about how ashamed he was of his Spotify year end stats, and how much he time he wasted not listening to something more beneficial.
Those guys are always *****.

Actually, you know what Lex would like? Lex would be an EDM guy in the modern setting. Especially when you think of the time frame this movie is set in. Like, he’s just starting out, he’s not yet the president or the head of the injustice league and he was convinced he was going to be metropolis’ favourite son until a certain Boy Scout popped up.

To change the subject slightly I had a chat on reddit about songs that Brainiac would like and I made a Spotify playlist if you’re curious

Perfect trailer music.

This music defined the turn of the millenium for me. :funny:

Would not be opposed to Gunn populating this movie with late 90’s needle drops for absolutely no good reason just like Surf’s Up did. :hehe:

While talking late 90’s/early 2000’s needle drops, I always imagine very zen-like flying sequences to these songs, like the sequence in Birthright where he’s just enjoying the sights in Africa…

Considering Gunn isn't shy about putting more contemporary needle drops (IE Florence + The Machine)...
I thought of some others that would work for needle drops.

Oh and if Gunn uses this song for Superman Legacy, imma give it an instant 10/10.

I feel like a heartland rock kind of sound would be a good fit for Superman, so allow me to throw this one into the mix…

It's funny how that article ends with a list of needle drops that the author likes. lol

IMG_0865.gif

This article gives very big “old man yells at cloud” energy. Complaining about a “problem“ that isn’t actually a problem, but more of a self-imposed view and opinion of something that he perceives as a problem in order to feel like he’s making light of something or feels like he’s saying something important.

The only point I’d agree on this is when the needle drops are put in places where they aren’t needed or they’re just plain bad, but that in and of itself doesn’t prove all needle drops in films/TV are bad. Also, he complains about the “overuse“ of needle drops, then at the end of the article, proceeds to give his favorite needle drops. :funny:

This whole article is a big pile of nothing and isn’t the “Gotcha!“ you think it is.

Also, this thread isn’t the place for this. It’s a thread about what people think the score will be like and what songs could possibly be placed in the film, which is what everyone is doing. You’ve made your points several times before, and you aren’t saying anything new. If you’re going to keep saying the same thing over and over again, you might as well just not post here.

Now, back to everyone posting about personal favorite songs, they should have as needle drops in the film.

Last edited:
Worth mentioning that the main person Gunn's collaborated with on his last few movies has been John Murphy

Y'know

The same guy who composed this

We might be on for the best Superman theme of all time here and I do not say that lightly considering the very obvious top of the competition

I love a good needle drop, bands that make for great needle drops even though certain songs are overused I would say are RATM, Beastie Boys, The White Stripes, Refused, The Hives, classic Metallica and Run DMC to name a few. Yes my age shows.

I think Howard shore would be perfect for this.

I saw Steve Jablonsky suggested on Reddit and I like this one a lot. For all the flaws Bay's Transformers films had, the scores were a strong point.

I've always said Steve Jablonsky basically made a perfect Superman theme when he worked on the first Transformers.

And he made a theme for Zod or Brainiac.

Last edited:

His "The Fallen" theme from ROTF could serve as a good basis for a Brainiac theme.

I know, I know, but I still love it.

With the new movie approaching it made me wonder about those old "to use John Williams or not to use John Williams theme" debates once again.

With James guns reverence for the original Superman film, I wonder if he'll use the theme or at least a version of it similar to Singer wit SR.

I asked my wife, who is a huge Harry Potter fan, if she thought the new HBO series should use the traditional Harry Potter theme from the films or create a new one. And her mind she doesn't think of the movies when she hears the Harry Potter theme. Rather she just simply associates it with anything Harry Potter related.

I still wonder how much of the general audience would simply associate the John Williams main theme with the hero and not the Christopher Reeve films.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Holopaxume
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"