John Murphy/The Score & Composer Thread

With the new movie approaching it made me wonder about those old "to use John Williams or not to use John Williams theme" debates once again.

With James guns reverence for the original Superman film, I wonder if he'll use the theme or at least a version of it similar to Singer wit SR.

I asked my wife, who is a huge Harry Potter fan, if she thought the new HBO series should use the traditional Harry Potter theme from the films or create a new one. And her mind she doesn't think of the movies when she hears the Harry Potter theme. Rather she just simply associates it with anything Harry Potter related.

I still wonder how much of the general audience would simply associate the John Williams main theme with the hero and not the Christopher Reeve films.

It IS Superman’s main theme plain and simple, the legendary Christopher Reeve was just the first custodian of that epic theme. It should never have not been in a Superman movie in the first place, though it would have needed to be reworked to fit Synder’s vision.

As for Superman Legacy, it’s said to be partly based on ‘A Superman For All Seasons’. I think what James Gunn might mean though is he wants this to appeal to as many people as possible (reuniting the Synder fans with Donner fans etc). Imagine a composer using snippets of Zimmer’s great theme along with bits of William’s incredible music to create something truly epic yet fresh.

I would love the Williams score but I feel like if it gets too nostalgiaish it feels like fan service which turns off audiences.

Maybe they could get Pitbull to do a rap to it during the end credits like they did with Aquaman (starts to run)

We’ve gotta leave the Williams theme behind. It’s great, I love it, but we need a new sound. After all, it’s not like that theme was the first piece of music ever associated with Superman. There was the radio show, Fleischer, the George Reeves series… it’s not a Bond situation. The Williams theme was of its era, and we need to move into a new one.

We’ve gotta leave the Williams theme behind. It’s great, I love it, but we need a new sound. After all, it’s not like that theme was the first piece of music ever associated with Superman. There was the radio show, Fleischer, the George Reeves series… it’s not a Bond situation. The Williams theme was of its era, and we need to move into a new one.
Amen.

Zimmer already proved a great modern Supes theme can be done, as far as I'm concerned. I don't like MoS, but that score is amazing. And you know what else is? Christopher Drake's All-Star Superman theme. So yeah, I'm always down for a great new Supes theme. I just hope Gunn doesn't go with Tyler Bates, because I can't see him delivering one lol.

Using John Williams' theme would be a big mistake in my eyes. New version of the character deserves its own theme. I can't imagine watching like The Dark Knight or The Batman and then suddenly the Elfman Batman theme comes in. We would have been absolutely robbed two fantastic composers giving excellent new Batman themes that fit their incarnations and that would have been a goddamn crime.

Using John Williams' theme would be a big mistake in my eyes. New version of the character deserves its own theme. I can't imagine watching like The Dark Knight or The Batman and then suddenly the Elfman Batman theme comes in. We would have been absolutely robbed two fantastic composers giving excellent new Batman themes that fit their incarnations and that would have been a goddamn crime.

Batman feels slightly different in perception to Superman (though I have no idea why, might be to do with Bats having more successful movies/properties). The only Supes movies that have truly hit are the Reeve movies hence why the public see the Williams theme as Superman’s theme.

There is room for brand new music but I’d like the Williams theme in there somewhere (even just snippets - be great if Zimmer was thrown in too). Let’s get crazy…

I would love it if Gunn goes outside the typical picks and choose my guy Joseph Trapanese.

This one just got All Star Superman vibes.

Last edited:
The Superman theme is as much a part of the character as the cape and S shield.

But! It requires something of an update from a modern composer. The same way the aesthetics get an update for a modern audience.

There is a reason that even today, the Williams theme is used at sporting events, air shows, etc. It's very very recognizable.
Nothing scream superman and epic like the Williams theme.

There is a reason that even today, the Williams theme is used at sporting events, air shows, etc. It's very very recognizable.
Nothing scream superman and epic like the Williams theme.

When the announcement of Corenswet was announced on the TV news outlet, believe it was ET, they played the Williams theme.

I look at it very much the same way I do the James Bond theme. It's the character's theme.

They play Williams score at Six Flags in the Superman coaster area to this day.

I was listening to Jablonsky today at work and yeah he’s definitely an intriguing choice

I was forwarded this. This is an orchestra piece composed by a 16 year old kid. Amazing. I want to see what he is doing in 10 years.

Sounds like we’re getting a new theme…

Sounds like we’re getting a new theme…

hmm. Sounds like he’s working with the composer of guardians of the galaxy volume 3. They must have been talking about it when they were filming it.

can’t wait to hear it

It has been said by many but yeahh the Williams theme has gotta go. This is a new era, a new world, a new vision and we cant keep around the past to allow that to happen.

I LOVE the Williams theme. And the Krypton overture by Williams is equally amazing.

But this is a new film and a new iteration of Superman. He deserves his own theme.

hmm. Sounds like he’s working with the composer of guardians of the galaxy volume 3. They must have been talking about it when they were filming it.

can’t wait to hear it
John Murphy. Eh. Better than Tyler Bates at least.

SUPERMAN: LEGACY Director James Gunn Reveals Age Of New Man Of Steel; Reveals Songs He WON'T Be Including
In other news, the filmmaker has also told fans songs like David Bowie's "Starman," "Kryptonite" by 3 Doors Down, "Superman" by Taylor Swift, "Superman" by Goldfinger, "Superman" by Eminem, and "Sunshine Superman" by Donovan will not be in the movie.

It seems they're all a bit on the nose for Gunn's liking and, in the case of "Starman," he told one fan that the fact it's so closely associated with the hero is, "One of the reasons I wouldn't use it (after being asked hundreds of times to use it for the past ten years in Guardians)."

ok fair enough

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"