Josh Trank Thread

The Overlord

Superhero
Reaction score
I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread about the man who will direct the next FF film, Josh Trank. Do you think he will do a good job? Is he the right man to direct an FF film? Surly he will do a better job then Tim Story.

This is another one I'm extremely curious about. But also quite skeptical.

I'll say one thing though. The intrigue this film has sparked in me is somewhat unprecedented. They have my full attention at this point.

I just don't want it to fail so that we don't have to suffer through the puns.

'Fantastic Four tranks at the Box office". LOLOLOLOL

I remember the first time I saw Memento, I thought: "Wow! This director is really good."

And we've seen what Christopher Nolan has done since then. If you go back and look at some of the early films of directors who ended up being great, you can generally see a certain something.

Great directors can take simple stories and tell them in fresh and interesting ways, and I think we saw some clear evidence of that in Chronicle.

I feel reasonably confident that Trank is a good director, but that doesn't ensure he can do a film like FF - I felt exactly the same way when I heard Nolan when I heard he was doing Batman.

Trank's history is far too brief to make any firm judgemets at this point, but I feel about as good as I could about any director with a similarly limited track-record.

I have seen nothing from this guy...so I will simply be "hopeful"...

Chronicle was great, I'm confident in Trank at this point.

I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread about the man who will direct the next FF film, Josh Trank. Do you think he will do a good job? Is he the right man to direct an FF film? Surly he will do a better job then Tim Story.

The problem is not the director as much as it is the studio who hired him...

If he pulls a Mathew Vaughn right before filming starts, I'll watch any other film he directs next in 3D twice and buy the Blu-ray!

I just don't want it to fail so that we don't have to suffer through the puns.

'Fantastic Four tranks at the Box office". LOLOLOLOL

How about "Josh, we Marvel fan's Trank you for backing out of this F4 reboot!"

The problem is not the director as much as it is the studio who hired him...

If he pulls a Mathew Vaughn right before filming starts, I'll watch any other film he directs next in 3D twice and buy the Blu-ray!
can you do nothing but ruin fox marvel film threads

this is not the thread for you to bash fox go to another thread i know that is all you do but come on now

this forum has one just made for you:whatever:
http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=451501

can you do nothing but ruin fox marvel film threads

this is not the thread for you to bash fox go to another thread i know that is all you do but come on now

this forum has one just made for you:whatever:
http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=451501

And you are not going to turn this little conversation into a flame war between the two of you which you have done in other threads. So if you don't like the guys posts, PUT HIM ON IGNORE.

Move on...

ok just seen chronicle for the first time on HBO

HOLY ****

my anticipation for this film just shot up big time chronicle was a phenomenal film with a great smart script and top notch direction even the action was amazing on it's low budget

cant wait to see what trank does with F4

With all of the other projects Josh Trank is tied to I wonder where he finds the time.

Chronicle was really a good movie! I enjoyed it a lot!

I hope Josh Trank will do an amazing job directing this reboot! Its time for the Fantastic 4 to shine!

I can't think of any other films released over the past couple years by first time directors that stand out in the way Chronicle did.

I'd stop short of calling it a great film, but the directing in particular showed talent and creativity. That's why so many people were interested in him and, while I can think of many experienced, proven directors that I might prefer, I'd have a very hard time thinking of sophomore director I would prefer.

Fantastic Four Movie To Include Jack Kirby And Stan Lee Stuff

In his interview with SFX magazine, Twentieth Century Fox creative consultant Mark Millar talked extensively about the upcoming X-Men: Days Of Future Past movie. He also touched lightly on the upcoming Fantastic Four reboot from director Josh Trank.

Earlier this year, Josh Trank stunned Hollywood when his debut feature film Chronicle opened number one at the box office during Super Bowl weekend. Chronicle was shot on only a $15 million budget, and the film won rave reviews for the young filmmaker. One of the rave reviews came from Mark Millar, who called Chronicle his “favorite superhero film of the past year.”

According to Millar, Josh Trank wants to utilize the classic Fantastic Four stories in his reboot, but also do it in his own way. Millar said, “You can tell from Chronicle that it was a new way of looking at superheroes, and I think he’s going to apply that same slightly skewed way of looking at heroes to the Fantastic Four, but do it in a way that feels incredibly reverential to the Kirby and Lee stuff.”

Millar also added that both he and Josh Trank thought that the first 100 issues of Fantastic Four was the best Fantastic Four. Millar said, “You’ve really got to get into the Kirby and Lee stuff to do it properly, to try and get that same sense of wonder.”

Another tidbit dropped by Millar is that Fantastic Four will have its own style which will be different from the tone of other superhero movies. While not revealing exactly what that style will be, Millar said, “I don’t think you could do Fantastic Four and try and make it grim and gritty.”

From George Koury's The Extraordinary Works of Alan Moore:
Page 110:
The Stuff that makes Watchmen radical is not really the stuff that's in the plot. It's not dark treatments of super-heroes--I mean, that had been done before. i mean you could even say that Stan Lee and Jack Kirby were going for a gritty, darker treatment of the super-heroes back in 1961 with the Fantastic Four. More shadows in the artwork, kind of depressed slum dwellings in the backgrounds, more realistic dialogue and character interaction.

Alan Moore

Fantastic Four Movie To Include Jack Kirby And Stan Lee Stuff

From George Koury's The Extraordinary Works of Alan Moore:
Page 110:

:up:

The opening of FF #1 does have a creepy edge to it. Reed is a shadowy, mysterious figure, and when we first see Ben, he makes a frightening impression.

I wouldn't use 'dark' in the way it has become cliche for these films - brooding, moping, 'woe is me' and everything sucks, but I think a certain air of mystery is very appropriate for the characters, the science-fiction and the mood Stan and Jack were clearly trying to capture at points.

A lot of the depth and experimentation that Stan and Jack were doing can get lost because of the styles of the times and short deadlines they had towork within, but there are a lot of interesting elements there.

The right creative minds could create some really cool things by understanding and updating the key elements.

If you think about the scene in the first film of Ben transforming, that could have been a wonderfully intense moment - in the hands of a better director.

:up:

The opening of FF #1 does have a creepy edge to it. Reed is a shadowy, mysterious figure, and when we first see Ben, he makes a frightening impression.

I wouldn't use 'dark' in the way it has become cliche for these films - brooding, moping, 'woe is me' and everything sucks, but I think a certain air of mystery is very appropriate for the characters, the science-fiction and the mood Stan and Jack were clearly trying to capture at points.

A lot of the depth and experimentation that Stan and Jack were doing can get lost because of the styles of the times and short deadlines they had towork within, but there are a lot of interesting elements there.

The right creative minds could create some really cool things by understanding and updating the key elements.

If you think about the scene in the first film of Ben transforming, that could have been a wonderfully intense moment - in the hands of a better director.

Oh come on....you know they had to cut to Johnny with his shirt off, a coat around his butt, snapping his fingers to make fire. That was sooooooo much more intense and riveting.

The production team so far:

Director:
Josh Trank (Chronicle)
Producer:
Matthew Vaughn (Kick-Ass, X:Men First Class)
Writers:
Seth Grahame-Smith (Abe Lincoln Vampire Hunter)
Jeremy Slater

So it could be worse imo. It should also be pointed out that none of these attachments really prove the movie will be made, let alone made properly. We'll have to wait and see.

Oh come on....you know they had to cut to Johnny with his shirt off, a coat around his butt, snapping his fingers to make fire. That was sooooooo much more intense and riveting.

:funny:

The production team so far:

Director:
Josh Trank (Chronicle)
Producer:
Matthew Vaughn (Kick-Ass, X:Men First Class)
Writers:
Seth Grahame-Smith (Abe Lincoln Vampire Hunter)
Jeremy Slater

So it could be worse imo. It should also be pointed out that none of these attachments really prove the movie will be made, let alone made properly. We'll have to wait and see.

Just to be a little more precise, here are the writing credits listed on IMDB:

Seth Grahame-Smith revisions
Jack Kirby characters
Stan Lee characters
Ashley Miller
Jeremy Slater screenplay
Jeremy Slater story
Zack Stentz
Josh Trank story

Stentz and Miller did Thor and X-Men First Class. Slater is mostly unknown and Grahame-Smith's biggest credits are a bit questionable in genre (Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter and Dark Shadows). And Trank had writing credit on Chronicle.

I don't know the details, but I'm a bit concerned by so many writing credits. It could be a bad sign that they need to keep re-working it.

At this point, I think we have to put faith in Trank to make the right decisions. Hopefully he'll have a good script to start with and just make it better from there. But if he receives a mediocre script, he may need to lift the story to where it needs to be.

I'm convinced that a talented director could have done great things with the first two scripts. The basic raw materials were there, but Tim Story ddn't tell the stories in a way that did them justice.

Last edited:
What are you laughing for.....I was serious. :cmad: :oldrazz:

:funny:

Just to be a little more precise, here are the writing credits listed on IMDB:

Seth Grahame-Smith revisions
Jack Kirby characters
Stan Lee characters
Ashley Miller
Jeremy Slater screenplay
Jeremy Slater story
Zack Stentz
Josh Trank story

Stentz and Miller did Thor and X-Men First Class. Slater is mostly unknown and Grahame-Smith's biggest credits are a bit questionable in genre (Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter and Dark Shadows). And Trank had writing credit on Chronicle.

I don't know the details, but I'm a bit concerned by so many writing credits. It could be a bad sign that they need to keep re-working it.

At this point, I think we have to put faith in Trank to make the right decisions. Hopefully he'll have a good script to start with and just make it better from there. But if he receives a mediocre script, he may need to lift the story to where it needs to be.

I'm convinced that a talented director could have done great things with the first two scripts. The basic raw materials were there, but Tim Story ddn't tell the stories in a way that did them justice.
first class had just as many better to keep working to get it write than to just settle

I think the idea is that Jeremy Slater is supposed to be this great writer who we just haven't seen hit it big yet. (Thats what I've read anyway.) And so we just needed revisions to make it either A. More entertaining or B. Fox Marvel-verse worthy, which I sincerely hope isn't anything huge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"