July 1 2011 release date for GI Joe 2?

Timstuff

Avenger
Reaction score
A few months back Paramount prematurely announced that Transformers 3 would release in 2011. Michael Bay denied it, saying that there was a mis-communication and that he was hoping to taking a year off, with TF3 releasing in 2012. If that's the case, and Paramount greenlights GI Joe 2 for a 2011 release, it's going to be swimming solo. Given that sequels usually have bigger openings than their predecessors, GI Joe will likely be a higher priority release for Paramount and Hasbro than the first one was, which would likely mean giving it a higher profile release date. It makes sense, too. GI Joe is all about fighting for freedom, so what better release window than the 4th of July weekend?

I'm thinking it'll be something like this:

GI Joe 2: July 2011
Transformers 3: July 2012
GI Joe 3: July 2013

I could see this working out quite nicely... That'd be a solid three straight years of GI Joe and Transformers movies, which would be a very nice revenue stream for the parties involved and give fans plenty to look forward to. And maybe in 2015 or 2016, they could drop the motherload with a GI Joe and Transformers crossover movie. So what do you think? Is there any plausibility to the basic schedule I've suggested?

Timstuff, I love your scheduling of 2 more...G.I. Joe films, and Michael Bay's final Transformers film in...2011, 2012, and 2013.

Here's what the Hot Blog says about GI Joe's status as a live action movie franchise:

GI Joe looks like it is heading to a $300m worldwide final. 6 years after Hulk did $245m worldwide, you're looking at a similar financial situation. GI Joe will be trying to get out of the red ink for years to come - a couple of million DVD units will make the difference between a loss and a breakeven film - but is not an unmitigated financial disaster. Then the question of the sequel... and if you think an announcement is the same as a film getting made, you are too green to live. Marvel lost money on The Incredible Hulk, even though it did a better job of giving the core audience what it wanted. It grossed slightly more than the first Hulk film... but cost more - which says so much, given that when Universal made the first film in 2002/3, it was their priciest effort ever - and it lost money.

So do you make a GI Joe sequel? Do you try to rein in the budget? Didn't the kids come to see stuff blow up real big? It's not like they spent the budget they had on actors. I don't know. Does this studio want to be dragged through a sequel? Remember the public apologies that came out of Charlie's Angels; Full Frontal. Remember all the drama around M:I3? Could they mistake $300m from GI Joe for $700m from the first Transformers? And dare we invoke Superman Returns and its $391,081,192 worldwide gross? (No sequel for YOU, Bryan!)

Still no release date announced if they are serious about this.

Transformers 2 got a July 1, 2011 release date.

tks for sharing your experience here. It's quite well if some illustrations were following here.
clear.gif

I'd like to see a sequel or maybe a redo of it, but I'd like to see something more and not Stephen Sommers doing it. He's a terrible director and an even worse writer.

I don't think the studio will release both TF3 and G.I.Joe 2 on the same day, sure I want to see GIJOE 2 bomb as much as anyone but that date is gonna kill it for sure.

I think 2011 for a GI Joe sequel is out to be honest, and it maybe for the best, GIJ2 would get killed in 2011 with all the big movies out that year.

I'm still not convinced a sequel is happening but 2012 would probably be best for the sequel.

Instead of a redo just do a sequel the proper way by setting a different tone, instead of wasting years trying to put a cast and story together. Plus I still want Levitt to be Cobra.

I don't care what anyone says, I thought GI Joe was a great Toy Commercial.

Instead of a redo just do a sequel the proper way by setting a different tone, instead of wasting years trying to put a cast and story together. Plus I still want Levitt to be Cobra.

let me guess, more dark and gritty??

Nah, I'd be happy just seeing them move the action to a jungle.

If TF3 is in 2011... GIJ2 probably is 2011 too.... since they can benefit from each other's marketing

EDIT: And GIJ3 will have Transformers in it :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"