Killzone for PS3: It's ALIVE!!!!!!!111!

Fran

Banned User
Reaction score
No, but seriously, the game has reappeared, and it's pretty damn expensive.

http://www.gametab.com/news/750368/

Ever since its controversial trailer fired up 2005's Electronic Entertainment Expo, the forthcoming Killzone game for the PlayStation 3 has been missing in action. It was nowhere to be seen at a variety of high-profile events, including E3 2006 and the 2006 Tokyo Game Show. The shooter wasn't even mentioned at the Gamers' Day events Sony held to help hype the launch of the PS3.

Today, the long silence on the game was broken by the Dutch newspaper de Volksrant. In an article titled, "A video game more expensive than the most expensive film," the daily highlights the next-gen Killzone and its developer, Amsterdam-based and Sony-owned Guerilla Games. The piece's name comes from the fact that the game is costing more to develop than the priciest film in Dutch history, director Paul Verhoeven's World War II thriller Black Book (Zwartboek).

While Black Book cost more than 16 million euros (approximately $21 million), Guerilla won't mention specific numbers for Killzone's budget. "Our budget tops [the film]," said Killzone director Arjan Brussee. "We're working on the biggest multimedia project in Dutch history."

Killzone's high cost is due to the labor-intensive development nature of graphically demanding next-generation games. "Work that used to take someone a week now takes him a month," said Brussee. Currently, some 120 developers are working on Killzone--roughly three times the staff of the first Killzone. Interestingly, half of dev tem comes from outside the Netherlands, up from one third on the PlayStation 2 original.

Another factor driving up the game's price tag is localization, as the new Killzone will be fully translated in 20 different languages. This effort will pay off in the long run, Brussee thinks. "You sell 30 to 40 percent more [units] with a translated version," he said.

The Volksrant article also confirmed suspicions that Killzone will have downloadable content via the PS3's online PlayStation Store. "The Killzone that is in stores is only the beginning," promised Brussee. Though the developer did not go into specifics, the newspaper mentioned that new "chapters" will be downloadable, raising the prospect of episodic content.

The simple answer to that, my friend, is no.

That is more like CGI than in-game. No way can the PS3 do that.

If I were Sony I'd cancel the game here and now. No need to pay for another flop.

Oh, they'll bring it out... but they'll have to deal with the fanboys being p.o'd about the first ever look at the game, compared to the final version.

Watch it end up looking like the Gundam game. :o

well it is possible to have a game look like that, but it would require at least 2-3 years of time and a team of highly skilled artists and coders, with about 30-40 million in recorces to get those kind of graphics and gameplay.

they said there budget exceeds 21 mill, they have 3 times the amount of artits and coders, and theve been working on it for 2 years or more now.

so my guess is, well get close to that

soes anyone know ware i cn download maya v.6 or 3d studio max version 8?

terry78 said:
Watch it end up looking like the Gundam game. :o

That would be EXTREMELY hilarious.

Then Sony would fail.

Ice-man said:
well it is possible to have a game look like that, but it would require at least 2-3 years of time and a team of highly skilled artists and coders, with about 30-40 million in recorces to get those kind of graphics and gameplay.

they said there budget exceeds 21 mill, they have 3 times the amount of artits and coders, and theve been working on it for 2 years or more now.

so my guess is, well get close to that

soes anyone know ware i cn download maya v.6 or 3d studio max version 8?

Yeah, Sony was complaining about GoW costing $100 million, when it cost around $10 million. Idiots.

farmerfran said:
That would be EXTREMELY hilarious.

Then Sony would fail.
Anytime someone tells me that the Wii graphics suck, I always say, "Gundam".

terry78 said:
Anytime someone tells me that the Wii graphics suck, I always say, "Gundam".

Whenever someone argues with me about that, I tell them that Nintendo doesn't care for graphics, they care for good gameplay and innovation, which is the truth.

I heard that game was just awful.. it wasn't even really playable.

This game will be uber-good, just like the original PS2 game was, no matter what you bastards say. :(

Killzone was semi-disappointing, I'm sure this one will be too :up:

Killzone was awesome. You just try and fight Darth Vadar look alikes with Machine guns (some even had capes!).

Try it. :cmad:

Electro UK said:
Killzone was awesome. You just try and fight Darth Vadar look alikes with Machine guns (some even had capes!).

Try it. :cmad:

I got it a few weeks ago, I love it.

WhatsHisFace said:
If I were Sony I'd cancel the game here and now. No need to pay for another flop.

A flop that sold over 2 million units world wide and generated over 100 million Euros in sales you mean?

farmerfran said:
Yeah, Sony was complaining about GoW costing $100 million, when it cost around $10 million. Idiots.

That 10 million figure doesn't include the cost of developing hte engine or adapting it for the Xbox 360. It's not a real figure, all other games include engine costs in their budget. It'sa bit of a special case where Mark Rein even admited that they don't include the cost of the engine in the budget of Gears because they can get away with it on a technicality.

Is this true?

http://www.gamefront.de

- There will be new downloadable content in the form of new levels/chapters. Even though the content does cost money and is optional, the content will be part of the main story.

My source: http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=213&topic=32058459

I hope that's not. Downloadable content is fine if it's not used for the main storyline - hopefully this means that it adds to the main storyline instead of progressing it further so we won't understand Killzone 4 when it releases.

I know the article posted in this topic mentioned downloadable content but it didn't get into the detail that this one does...

Zenien said:
A flop that sold over 2 million units world wide and generated over 100 million Euros in sales you mean?
100 million Euros = 50 million dollars = lololololol for a "Halo Killer" on a system with ten times the userbase.

FLOP with a capital everything.

You have fun with that blocking out reality.

And you got your exchange rate totally wrong, way to embarass yourself.

100 million Euros is equal to about 130 million US dollars. Not 50 million.

Killzone didn't suck. Though it had a long list of problems, it has a very good foundation of elements to build off of. Look at Liberation, it's good, has gotten good reviews and it was reviewed missing the multiplayer component entirely.

I definately agree that I don't like the idea of hearing that there might be some 'part of the main story' episodic content going on. Well if they have the complete campaign then add to extend beyond and flesh out things that happened in the campaign that would be fine. But I don't want to buy the game and get to level 9 and read a screen saying "to see the stunning comclusion to the story please download Episode 9 from when it comes out next month!"

Zenien said:
I definately agree that I don't like the idea of hearing that there might be some 'part of the main story' episodic content going on. Well if they have the complete campaign then add to extend beyond and flesh out things that happened in the campaign that would be fine. But I don't want to buy the game and get to level 9 and read a screen saying "to see the stunning comclusion to the story please download Episode 9 from when it comes out next month!"

Even if it was the complete story but fleshed out even more, it'd kind of be bad in the sense that, well, let me explain..

Say I get the next Killzone, completed this Killzone, and I start up the next Killzone and lo and behold I have no clue what is going on because I didn't get the extra content or I miss a reference because I didn't get the extra content.

No matter what, the main story should always be complete with the game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"