Fallout | Amazon Prime

Pennywise

Avenger
Reaction score
‘Fallout’ Television Series Based On Game Franchise In Works – Deadline

The worldwide best-selling game franchise Fallout is headed to television via Prime Video. Following months of dealmaking, Amazon Studios has licensed the rights to the games for Jonathan Nolan and Lisa Joy to develop a TV adaptation, which has received a series commitment.

This marks the first major project to come out of Westworld creators/executive producers’ big overall deal with Amazon Studios. The duo’s Kilter Films is producing Fallout alongside Bethesda Game Studios and Bethesda Softworks. Prime Video and Bethesda just posted a short “easter egg” video teasing the project. (You can watch it below the story.)

The world of Fallout is one where the future envisioned by Americans in the late 1940s explodes upon itself through a nuclear war in 2077. In Fallout, the harshness of the wasteland is set against the previous generation’s utopian idea of a better world through nuclear energy. It is serious in tone, yet sprinkled with moments of ironic humor and B-movie-nuclear-fantasies.

Fallout is one of the greatest game series of all time,” said Kilter Films’ Joy and Nolan. “Each chapter of this insanely imaginative story has cost us countless hours we could have spent with family and friends. So we’re incredibly excited to partner with Todd Howard and the rest of the brilliant lunatics at Bethesda to bring this massive, subversive, and darkly funny universe to life with Amazon Studios.”

The Fallout franchise has posted record sales and received dozens of Game of the Year awards, while its mobile game, Fallout Shelter, has been downloaded more than 170 million times.

Fallout is an iconic global franchise, with legions of fans worldwide and a rich, deeply compelling storyline that powers it. And Jonah and Lisa are the perfect storytellers to bring this series to life,” said Albert Cheng, COO and Co-Head of Television, Amazon Studios. “We’re thrilled to join with Bethesda to bring Fallout to television.”

Fallout is from Amazon Studios and Kilter Films in association with Bethesda Game Studios and Bethesda Softworks, with executive producers Jonathan Nolan and Lisa Joy, and Athena Wickham for Kilter Films, Todd Howard for Bethesda Game Studios, and James Altman for Bethesda Softworks.

There has been talk of a Fallout TV series adaptation for almost a decade.

“Over the last decade, we looked at many ways to bring Fallout to the screen,” said Howard, Executive Producer at Bethesda Game Studios. “But it was clear from the moment I first spoke with Jonah and Lisa a few years ago, that they and the team at Kilter were the ones to do it right. We’re enormous fans of their work and couldn’t be more excited to work with them and Amazon Studios.”

Feeling conflicted about it. I hate what Bethesda did to Fallout series so their involvement is a huge minus for me, but I always wanted someone to try adapting the world of Fallout into live action. And Jonathan Nolan's involvement is encouraging.

Bring it on, I guess. I'll be keeping an eye on this one.

Feeling conflicted about it. I hate what Bethesda did to Fallout series so their involvement is a huge minus for me, but I always wanted someone to try adapting the world of Fallout into live action. And Jonathan Nolan's involvement is encouraging.

Bring it on, I guess. I'll be keeping an eye on this one.
What did they do, though?

I'm honestly hyped for this. Would have preferred an Elder Scrolls series, but I'm still pumped.

What did they do, though?

I'm honestly hyped for this. Would have preferred an Elder Scrolls series, but I'm still pumped.
Lore, atmosphere, aesthetic, writing - it was really different from what was established in FO1-2.

Lore, atmosphere, aesthetic, writing - it was really different from what was established in FO1-2.
Ah, I thought you were talking about Fallout 76 lol. I feel like the hatred leveled at the company over that game has been severely overblown considering their amazing track record with games and their upcoming future single player games.

As for Fallout 1 or 2, I actually haven't played those. my introduction to the series was Fallout 3 so you can imagined where I stand lol.

Ah, I thought you were talking about Fallout 76 lol. I feel like the hatred leveled at the company over that game has been severely overblown considering their amazing track record with games and their upcoming future single player games.

As for Fallout 1 or 2, I actually haven't played those. my introduction to the series was Fallout 3 so you can imagined where I stand lol.
Those who started with Fallout 3 have different perspective on the Fallout world than those who began with Fallout 1 or 2. So for me it's the question where they will go with live action. Will it be more like FO1-2 or 3-onwards?

I’ve only played the third game, tbh.

Those who started with Fallout 3 have different perspective on the Fallout world than those who began with Fallout 1 or 2. So for me it's the question where they will go with live action. Will it be more like FO1-2 or 3-onwards?
I reckon they'll go with the tone of FO3 and onward considering Bethesda is also producing. I did love New Vegas, though. It was the closest to the classic Fallout lore (not surprising since Obsidian is made of former devs of the first two games).

I reckon they'll go with the tone of FO3 and onward considering Bethesda is also producing. I did love New Vegas, though. It was the closest to the classic Fallout lore (not surprising since Obsidian is made of former devs of the first two games).
Well, that's why I'm mixed about it. With Bethesda's involvement, it's hard to expect anything good if you're a fan of FO1-2 and didn't like the follow ups.

I heard many good things about New Vegas, but I'm yet to play it. It's Fallout 3 engine is strongly associated with negative experience with that game. Maybe the TV series will inspire me to try.

I'm not a fan of the first two and loved Fallout 3, so going off of that instead wouldn't bother me. I guess the bigger question is how well the Fallout 3 (or Fallout in general) experience translates to a TV show. Movies might be a better fit because movies can easily be flashy and brash, whereas with TV I'd look more for long form storytelling, character arcs, and interpersonal relationships. It seems like it would have to get away from the tone at least a bit, although you can do a show that's Post-Nuclear and Nineteen-Fifties based.

I’ve only played Fallout 4, but I’m kind of obsessed with it. Just started playing it a few months ago in the quarantine and I’ve been slowly working my way through all the crazy side quests and things. Not sure which game they’ll base this on (or if they’ll do a new story) but there’s so much potential here. And Nolan’s involvement makes me giddy; the stuff with The Institute feels like a perfect fit for him after Westworld (though I suppose it does tread on familiar territory).

Anyway, I hope this is a hit because then maybe we’ll get that Skyrim show/movie that we’ve all been craving for years.

Considering how far in production they are since the announcement of a Lord-of-the-Rings-series 3 years ago...they should be careful to announce such prestigious projects.

They didn't even assign a writer yet.

Finally some news on this. I’m wondering if this will be a totally new story or if they are going to try and adapt one of the games. I think Fallout 4 could make for a great series but I can also understand why they might just want to do a new story and setting with a similar premise to each game (one character or multiple characters emerge from a vault to explore the devastated remains of a city or state).

Last edited:
Bethesda's Fallout stories sucked. From boring story premises, to... Stupidity starts right away with the very first town - Megaton.

So I hope either Fallout 1 or Fallout: New Vegas serve as basis for the story of the adaptation. Fallout 1 is the most coherent and tight when it comes to both setting and story. And it's the most gritty as well. Fallout 2 goes crazy in some directions and frequently doesn't make much sense for a serious adaptation. New Vegas is different, but I'd say it's second best in the series when it comes to story.

Hope they can do a good job with this. Good to see so many game media projects greenlit recently.

I've only ever played Fallout 4, and really liked it, so what ARE the main differences with F1/2 vs F3/4?

Bethesda's Fallout stories sucked. From boring story premises, to... Stupidity starts right away with the very first town - Megaton.

So I hope either Fallout 1 or Fallout: New Vegas serve as basis for the story of the adaptation. Fallout 1 is the most coherent and tight when it comes to both setting and story. And it's the most gritty as well. Fallout 2 goes crazy in some directions and frequently doesn't make much sense for a serious adaptation. New Vegas is different, but I'd say it's second best in the series when it comes to story.

Ehh. . . I think the *premises* in their games are mostly fine. Its the execution that is lazy and sloppy, or at least only minimally adequate. I won't disagree that Fallout 1 or New Vegas would be much better material to draw from, mind, particularly 1. Ultimately, a TV show has to introduce the audience to the world, and the best way to do that is by having the POV character *also* being introduced to the world.

That said, I do not have high hopes for the show. One might say that "Video game adaptation. Video game adaptation never changes." *cough*

I've only ever played Fallout 4, and really liked it, so what ARE the main differences with F1/2 vs F3/4?

Without getting too heavy into the nitty gritty, the most important differences:

1. The Black Isle Fallout games generally pay greater attention to plausibility in world design, versus the Bethesda games focusing more strictly on a "amusement park" type setup. If you examine the places and people in Fallout 1 or 2, you can usually see "Okay, that seems like a thing which could happen, given the circumstances and people". Apply the same attention to Fallout 3 or 4, and you usually just find plot holes.

2. The Black Isle Fallout games provide more choices with more consequences, where a given quest or scenario has multiple ways to resolve with different outcomes during or after the game. The Bethesda Fallout games tend to be much more linear and railroad-y, with most choices being false choices that change nothing, and most outcomes being fairly restricted.

^I would also add, that Bethesda games (3-4, don't know about 76, but most likely) abuse 50s USA aesthetic to basically cartoon levels. It's like USA was stuck in 1950s till year 2070, when bombs fell. And the only difference is a bunch of portable fusion reactors to power everything from rocket launchers to cars. In original Fallout 1-2 there was some retro-futurism, but it was waaaaay more subtle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"