Fallout | Amazon Prime

So happy it's getting a season 2. Man, I gotta say, as a bigger Elder Scrolls fan, my mind races with the possibilities of an Elder Scrolls show being handled with the same amount of talent, passion, and care. But at the same time, I just don't see how they can adapt it properly. The budget would be astronomical, and the lore is even more complex and deep than Fallout. Then you factor in the other fantasy shows that currently exist.

Yeah, as much as I would love an Elder Scrolls series, there are so many factors that would need to fall into place to make it work, with the budget being the biggest one. And I think that you would want to take a different approach than they did with Fallout. With Fallout, there is a lot of name recognition. Elder Scrolls is a bit different; Skyrim is a household name but “Elder Scrolls” isn’t quite as well known. Therefore, I think if they were to do it, we would see an attempt at a straight adaptation of Skyrim rather than an original story set in that world. Because to justify the budget, you’re going to want to bring in as many viewers as you can get and I think only a Skyrim adaptation can do that. That’s not to say that they SHOULD do that, but it’s the route I see them taking if it ever happens.

Yeah, as much as I would love an Elder Scrolls series, there are so many factors that would need to fall into place to make it work, with the budget being the biggest one. And I think that you would want to take a different approach than they did with Fallout. With Fallout, there is a lot of name recognition. Elder Scrolls is a bit different; Skyrim is a household name but “Elder Scrolls” isn’t quite as well known. Therefore, I think if they were to do it, we would see an attempt at a straight adaptation of Skyrim rather than an original story set in that world. Because to justify the budget, you’re going to want to bring in as many viewers as you can get and I think only a Skyrim adaptation can do that. That’s not to say that they SHOULD do that, but it’s the route I see them taking if it ever happens.
You're right. I've been an elder scrolls fan since Morrowind and especially Oblivion, so I remember pre Skyrim and I think when you factor in how iconic Skyrim is and how long it's been since that game released, the identity of elder scrolls is pretty much Skyrim. I do expect that to change when TES VI is finally unveiled. Maybe then will be a better time to attempt something on tv. They could potentially do an animated show.

You're right. I've been an elder scrolls fan since Morrowind and especially Oblivion, so I remember pre Skyrim and I think when you factor in how iconic Skyrim is and how long it's been since that game released, the identity of elder scrolls is pretty much Skyrim. I do expect that to change when TES VI is finally unveiled. Maybe then will be a better time to attempt something on tv. They could potentially do an animated show.

Maybe, yeah. It depends on how well ES6 is received. If it has a reception like Starfield, then Bethesda shouldn’t even bother with a TV series or anything (and I say that as someone who actually liked Starfield for the most part).

Personally, I would love to see them adapt some of the stuff from ESO. Even though the game itself isn’t as good as the mainline ES games, many of the characters are much more fleshed out. I would kill for a Naryu Virian series.

Maybe, yeah. It depends on how well ES6 is received. If it has a reception like Starfield, then Bethesda shouldn’t even bother with a TV series or anything (and I say that as someone who actually liked Starfield for the most part).

Personally, I would love to see them adapt some of the stuff from ESO. Even though the game itself isn’t as good as the mainline ES games, many of the characters are much more fleshed out. I would kill for a Naryu Virian series.
I loved Starfield (216 hours and on NG+++), and I'd go as far to say it was my favorite game of 2023, but I do get why other BGS fans maybe didn't as much. That said, I think the challenge of Starfield was putting a BGS game in space, which is difficult to do. I don't see TES VI having that obstacle overall, especially if it's covering just Hammerfell and maybe High Rock as well. I'm predicting some ship sailing across the Illiac bay to traverse both areas. I think the biggest challenge for TES VI is expectations given the amount of years passed. I can't imagine the pressure they're feeling.

I need to play more of ESO. I've tried a few times, but I haven't really ever been an MMO guy. The only 2 MMO games I liked was Matrix Online and especially City of Heroes. But aside from those two, it's not really my thing. And with Elder Scrolls, it's harder for me to get into an MMO style because I'm so used to the BGS formula.

Last edited:
I will say this show is probably the best use of the "Vault Dweller who's a fish out of water" story I've seen since Fallout 1

But trying to connect the show to New Vegas is such a genuine mistake it's not even funny. The idea of Bethesda supervised New Vegas is uh...

not a reassuring thought for me

I loved Starfield (216 hours and on NG+++), and I'd go as far to say it was my favorite game of 2023, but I do get why other BGS fans maybe didn't as much. That said, I think the challenge of Starfield was putting a BGS game in space, which is difficult to do. I don't see TES VI having that obstacle overall, especially if it's covering just Hammerfell and maybe High Rock as well. I'm predicting some ship sailing across the Illiac bay to traverse both areas. I think the biggest challenge for TES VI is expectations given the amount of years passed. I can't imagine the pressure they're feeling.

I need to play more of ESO. I've tried a few times, but I haven't really ever been an MMO guy. The only 2 MMO games I liked was Matrix Online and especially City of Heroes. But aside from those two, it's not really my thing. And with Elder Scrolls, it's harder for me to get into an MMO style because I'm so used to the BGS formula.

Yeah, I’m not an MMO guy either. I was able to enjoy ESO just playing it like a single-player game and ignoring any other players who tried to interact with me, lol. It’s still not as good of a single-player experience as something like Skyrim but overall, the main story (Molag Bal’s invasion and the war between the three pacts) is pretty good. And some of the characters are great, especially Naryu, Abnur Tharn, Cadwell and Vivec. The region-specific quests can be pretty cool too; I really liked the ones in Morrowind, the Summerset Isles and Elsweyr. I eventually got tired of it but I played through a lot of it to get my Elder Scrolls fix.

Finally finished it and absolutely loved it! The two year wait is going to be terrible.
Forget the deathclaws, I want to see these annoying bastards.

tumblr_or7a5ecXj41sbm4dso3_540.gif

Finally finished it and absolutely loved it! The two year wait is going to be terrible.

I just started replaying New Vegas and I forgot how much I hated these guys lol.

Ohhh yeah I hate those things! We need to see them too.

I will say this show is probably the best use of the "Vault Dweller who's a fish out of water" story I've seen since Fallout 1

But trying to connect the show to New Vegas is such a genuine mistake it's not even funny. The idea of Bethesda supervised New Vegas is uh...

not a reassuring thought for me
Luckily the writers on the show are better than the writers for 3/4 so it'll be interesting to see what happens with season 2. From what I've read online, these guys knew what they were getting into when they chose to go back to the West Coast.

Well I don’t have time for this at all but been binging the rest of this show and can’t stop lol. Got through episode 3 to 7 and about to start the finale.

Well I don’t have time for this at all but been binging the rest of this show and can’t stop lol. Got through episode 3 to 7 and about to start the finale.
I'm still stuck at 4 episodes -- busy weekend -- but hope to fix that tomorrow. :)

Saw the Thaddeus discussion and have to say
I am hoping that he turns into a super mutant rather than a ghoul. Maybe the chicken guy did give him a dose of FEV.

Saw the Thaddeus discussion and have to say
I am hoping that he turns into a super mutant rather than a ghoul. Maybe the chicken guy did give him a dose of FEV.
That would be a more interesting choice. Would be an easy way to make a Super Mutant part of the cast.

Finished last night and had a total blast with it! I’ve enjoyed this show a lot more than I ever expected. Purnell and Goggins elevated it throughout, and unlike many video game/CBM properties, a lot of thought and imagination went into this. It doesn’t feel like a planned/dictated-by-committee and **** out project, has some uniqueness and X-factor that complements the games very well.

After the success of the TLOU show and it having a similar effect on game sales/engagement (also the Cyberpunk anime), hopefully execs greenlight more video game properties and give them a similar respect. Crap multimedia translations won’t have as strong an effect and in my case even turn me off the franchises a bit.

Luckily the writers on the show are better than the writers for 3/4 so it'll be interesting to see what happens with season 2. From what I've read online, these guys knew what they were getting into when they chose to go back to the West Coast.
My issue is more that attempting to adapt any setting of the games post said games is just not gonna result in many people being happy.

The entire point of an RPG is that it's player choice, it's your story. What happens after the game's over is also your story. Why would you play New Vegas essentially knowing the canon ending from the show or the canon personality of the Courier? Hell, how tf do you balance the show around someone like the Courier who's up there with the Chosen One as the objective most overpowered character in the entire series that isn't Liberty Prime?

It just creates more problems than good storytelling routes and devalues the very thing it's adapting which is the absolute last thing any adaptation should do. The only way Season 2 isn't somewhat disappointing with its elaboration on what happened post FNV is if they go back on themselves and say that the show isn't canon to the games

Excited to see what and who they bring in for a season 2, the way the first season ended as well was nicely poised for the main three characters to lead into something new and they had all been changed in some way by events throughout the season and are all now searching for something different than they originally wanted.
The 3 main characters are very different from each other and have good chemistry. Should be fun if they spend more time together in a new season.

My issue is more that attempting to adapt any setting of the games post said games is just not gonna result in many people being happy.

The entire point of an RPG is that it's player choice, it's your story. What happens after the game's over is also your story. Why would you play New Vegas essentially knowing the canon ending from the show or the canon personality of the Courier? Hell, how tf do you balance the show around someone like the Courier who's up there with the Chosen One as the objective most overpowered character in the entire series that isn't Liberty Prime?

It just creates more problems than good storytelling routes and devalues the very thing it's adapting which is the absolute last thing any adaptation should do. The only way Season 2 isn't somewhat disappointing with its elaboration on what happened post FNV is if they go back on themselves and say that the show isn't canon to the games

They've already kinda shown us how they're going to handle it in season 1. Anything related to player choice from the previous games is addressed vaguely. We saw it with how Shady Sands was handled. They'll reference the battle of hoover dam but won't reference its outcome and with the likelihood that we're never going back to the west coast in the games, the TV show is next best thing.

They've already kinda shown us how they're going to handle it in season 1. Anything related to player choice from the previous games is addressed vaguely. We saw it with how Shady Sands was handled. They'll reference the battle of hoover dam but won't reference its outcome and with the likelihood that we're never going back to the west coast in the games, the TV show is next best thing.
The issue is even the status of New Vegas sorta has to confirm an ending even if indirectly. If House is still around, it's an obvious House ending. If the Legion are still around, it's a Legion ending. It's basically impossible to be vague about New Vegas' endings because all of the endings basically define the fate of New Vegas itself

The issue is even the status of New Vegas sorta has to confirm an ending even if indirectly. If House is still around, it's an obvious House ending. If the Legion are still around, it's a Legion ending. It's basically impossible to be vague about New Vegas' endings because all of the endings basically define the fate of New Vegas itself
Not entirely true. They could also pull a Deus Ex and make elements of every ending canon. If we don't like what they do with it, we can always stop watching and declare it non canon in our own head canon. I personally don't consider 3,4, Tactics and BoS ps2 canon to the west coast games and 76 isn't canon to any of the games by nature of it being an online game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"