Lucifer Lucifer ratings discussion

Lucifer's finale did a 1.3 last night despite having a 0.6 lead in from a Gotham repeat.

That's really an incredible performance.

Lucifer is the only new show on Fox that didn't drop to fractional numbers this season.

Pretty certain they aren't cutting the number of episodes for Gotham. So they still could. Though, it is possible that they use Lucifer to prop up another new show.

Of course they aren't cutting the Gotham order, but if Lucifer premieres in January, Gotham will run without Lucifer in the fall, and Lucifer either will get a half order or it'll run without Gotham for half of 2017. I know many hoped they'd be paired for the whole season.

Lucifer and Gotham are indeed paired together

Fox Mondays

Fall:
Gotham
Lucifer

Winter Break:
24: Legacy
APB

Spring:
Gotham
Lucifer

So that would also imply a full season order

I know in terms of the show's economics and it's general health on FOX, a full season order is a good thing but I kinda thought the shorter season did play it's part in keeping the story fresh without burdening it with fillers and such.

There were plenty of complaints of filler already. It is a procedural at heart, so it is to be expected. Not that the episodic episodes are bad. You sort of need a good lead to make a procedural worth watching, and I think Tom Ellis does a great job. I love him attempting to solve crimes.

Lucifer and Gotham are indeed paired together

Fox Mondays

Fall:
Gotham
Lucifer

Winter Break:
24: Legacy
APB

Spring:
Gotham
Lucifer

So that would also imply a full season order
Thank you, fami. This is excellent news. Not only is it great for Lucifer who will have the benefit of a rather stable lead-in, but it's great for Gotham as well. When Lucifer is due to be renewed for season 3, Gotham will have a guaranteed renewal for season 4. When Lucifer has its guaranteed renewal for season 4, Gotham will be due for a possible season 5 pickup.

It's hard to say how much the shows benefit from each other. As per the last link I posted it could just be a case of two solid performers that just happen to air at the same night. However I think it would be foolish to assume there is no intermingling of the fanbases.

I'm hoping for a solid season 2 finale number for Gotham. Lucifer held steady with no help when "normally" the finale sees a discernible rise. Gotham was left with no pals at all on Monday nights but held its numbers (well, +0.1.)

All in all - if Lucifer and Gotham return to the screen in the Fall with numbers around 1.3 for the pilots, that's bad news, but I hope it won't come to that.

I know in terms of the show's economics and it's general health on FOX, a full season order is a good thing but I kinda thought the shorter season did play it's part in keeping the story fresh without burdening it with fillers and such.

I won't lie; I'm less excited for season 2 after hearing this news. The early episodes that dealt mostly with the case of the week were by far the weakest of the series. The show only got good when it finally dove into the main story. Looks like we're in for more filler episodes. :/

Considering that most of season one was what I'd qualify as "filler" i.e. "case of the week" I don't think a 22 episode season will mean we will get less non-filler episodes. I think it's far too early to call what it'll shape up into. The actors are rooting for more supernatural-esque material and as a comparison Gotham went from semi-episodic to heavily serialized from season 1 to 2.

That said I think it's actually a factor in Lucifer's favor that it's got an episodic quality. It doesn't require viewers to be caught up on all developments, it doesn't ask the audience to have good memory and it doesn't require them to think. Lucifer sells the episodic format better because Tom Ellis is far better in the role as the protagonist than Ben McKenzie is as Jim Gordon, and I'm saying that even though I think Gotham is the better show overall.

Not really, but compared to the rest of the network, sure. And that's all that matters.

The way I see it both shows are probably headed for four season runs. I can't see Gotham getting renewed after season four now.

Matching your finale is a very good sign.

Not really, but compared to the rest of the network, sure. And that's all that matters.

The way I see it both shows are probably headed for four season runs. I can't see Gotham getting renewed after season four now.

Lucifer grew out of its lead in and grew in its second half hour. That is very difficult for a show to do. For the most part Lucifer will be capped in its potential performance by Gotham. It's downright shocking that Lucifer put up a 1.3 out of a 1.2.

And Lucifer will be able to get away with lower ratings than Gotham for longer because it's much more of a procedural, and therefore will have more value in syndication.

I am expecting a lot of shows on Fox to do extremely poorly. The new shows will likely premiere a little better than Gotham and Lucifer but stuff like Rosewood and Scream Queens could be really, really ugly.

Why do we have to wait two weeks for next episode? :confused:

The rest of the Fox schedule is looking pretty awful so far

Empire: 4.2
Son of Zorn: 2.4 (heavily propped up by NFL lead in)
Lethal Weapon: 2.2 (heavily propped up by Empire lead out)
Lucifer: 1.3
Gotham: 1.3
New Girl: 1.2
The Pitch: 1.1
Brooklyn Nine-Nine: 1.1
Scream Queens: 1.0
Rosewood: 0.7

To get a real sense of how much Lethal Weapon is propped up by Empire, Rosewood premiered to a 2.44 last season in the same timeslot. Look at it now.

So it looks like Lucifer and Gotham are probably the strongest scripted dramas on the network not called Empire, and will probably be the strongest shows overall aside from Empire, Simpsons, and possibly Family Guy.

1.1 last night for Lucifer out of a 1.0 for Gotham

At this point Gotham is holding it back

Lucifer finals adjusted to 1.0 for #2.3

It's the first time this season.

Lucifer increasing 0.1, posting a 1.1 after a 1.2 by Gotham. I'm cautiously optimistic about both shows' performance as they seem to have stabilized.

1.0 for #2.5. Nothing noteworthy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"