• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

Sony Spin-Off Madame Web spin-off in the works

Wasn't it originally about Cassandra preventing Ezekiel from killing Mary Parker so Peter wouldn't be born? Or something to that effect, that's what I recall reading about when this movie was early in production at least.
Seems like they did a lot of reshooting and cutting of stuff. Maybe Marvel's lawyers got involved?

If this movie had the same script and writing team and all the same setup and such, but Ezekiel was now a character named Morlun and he more or less had the same motivations, would this movie have been much better? If the answer is no, then it doesn't matter.

That's not what I'm saying here. If you are even going to think about approaching Spider-Totems and Spider-Deities from the comics, you don't make Ezekiel your villain in a movie. You make Morlun the villain. It would need to be a completely different movie from the top down. Not same anything.

That's not what I'm saying here. If you are even going to think about approaching Spider-Totems and Spider-Deities from the comics, you don't make Ezekiel your villain in a movie. You make Morlun the villain. It would need to be a completely different movie from the top down. Not same anything.
They could have made this movie work with Ezekiel and such as the villain as well. They just didn't execute this movie well at all. Sure, you could have top to bottom made a different movie by making Morlun the villain, but they also could have hired different people and made a different Ezekiel movie as well. I think picking Ezekiel over Morlun is the least of the issues here

Yeah this was definitely worse than Morbius but since I got home a couple of hours ago, this has grown on me in the "so bad, it's good" sense. The script is just comically bad and the ending was hilarious. The story overall is fine, I think with a much, much better script, this could have been halfway decent. Probably a legit director too, I didn't realize they hired a tv director for this until I looked it up afterwards but it makes sense.

Are we sure the guy who played Ezekiel actually acted before? I know the script was bad but man...his line readings and the ADR that showed the lips didn't match. My God :funny:
On top of what @Arachnerd said, the guy is actually a pretty esteemed French actor. He had a major role in Napoleon last year. There are some rumours that he didn't even do his ADR, Sony just got a really bad sounds like, resulting in the accent changes and the like.

I’m halfway through this and yeah, it’s trash… also why is Sosh from GIRLS and Emma Roberts wasting their time with this?

Then don't do it. I mean, I don't know the innerworkings of doing something that radically changes from what you first signed on but I highly doubt they're doing it for artistic reasons. When they talk about "Well I was attracted to the role because of how dynamic and complex it is" I call b****** on that.
I mean, if they offered you as much as they offered Dakota Johnson to do Madame Web you probably would as well. Of course its BS, it is their job to BS about it lol, no one should ever take press tours seriously.

Can't wait to see Madame Web. I haven't watched a new MCU thing since... Wakanda Forever, probably? Skipped the last few DCEU movies. Will 100% see every dumbass Sony movie in theatres, I am firmly on Team Moron. I hope they make a million of these dumb things, snatch Spider-Man back and go full hog on the clown show.

On top of what @Arachnerd said, the guy is actually a pretty esteemed French actor. He had a major role in Napoleon last year. There are some rumours that he didn't even do his ADR, Sony just got a really bad sounds like, resulting in the accent changes and the like.

I haven't seen him in much other than Napoleon, and I am aware he's done acclaimed work before. However, he's barely even in Napoleon, which was not all that great or well-reviewed. However, he likely had a lot of footage that was cut from the film as well.

They could have made this movie work with Ezekiel and such as the villain as well. They just didn't execute this movie well at all. Sure, you could have top to bottom made a different movie by making Morlun the villain, but they also could have hired different people and made a different Ezekiel movie as well. I think picking Ezekiel over Morlun is the least of the issues here

You're entitled to your opinion. I'm not sure how. Ezekiel is a bad character to make your villain, and Madame Web is not a good character to build a solo movie around. She's not a superhero. She's a minor supporting character at best.

The whole premise of this movie is flawed. I'm not sure how it could've worked with Ezekiel as the villain. His motivations in the film are already weak and flimsy.

For example, if different people work on the movie, and make Ezekiel the villain. How do you fix it? Besides not having him wear that ridiculous costume.

Rotten tomatoes:
19% Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance
15% Morbius
13% Madame Web / Howard the Duck
11% Elektra
9% Fant4stic

If the movie still has another 100 reviews coming in and the current trend continues then it has a chance of going into single digits.

Another thing that annoys me is the marketing keeps saying this movie is "grounded in reality" and that phrase is so misused it's unbearable. Grounded in reality doesn't mean you don't have superhero costumes or the sillier things people associate with comics. That's what these filmmakers define it as, and that shows their idiocy.

When Richard Donner made Superman, that film is grounded in reality, but Superman has all his powers, the absurd outfit, an eccentric alien planet, etc. But it grounds the fantastical in things people understand. At its core, Superman is a movie about a farm boy who doesn't know what his destiny is and what he should do with his life, and then moves into the big city and finds his footing and romance. People may not understand the crystal world or how Superman works logically, but they understand the idea of a man growing up. Luke Skywalker lives on an alien world with robots, but dreams of adventure away from his home that he is denied. We get THAT!

Your super hero film doesn't have to look super real or throw away the fantastical to be credible. It needs you to provide me a reason to care about it's characters, it's themes, and relate it to our experience as human beings. That's what it's SUPPOSED to mean! This film just used that phrase as nonsensical branding.

Madame Web stole the plot of Terminator, but what is Terminator about? It's about motherhood and the fears of being a parent who is responsible for another human being. Sarah is told she is effectively having the most important baby ever, and she doesn't know how she cam be a parent like that and it's a lot of pressure. THAT'S why we care. It isn't the robot or the cool action that really hooks us, it's that personal struggle. Just being a pastiche of that plot without the heart doesn't do it. If you're going to rip off a movie, at least understand why it's actually good. Just stealing the base plot and making a soulless shell for content isn't going to be like Field of Dreams where if you build it, they will come. People will only come If you give them a reason to

Superhero films don't need to be edgy or crap to be good. They don't need to be ashamed of their origins. They need to be relatable to the human experience. Learn what things actually mean Hollywood
To This Day,
For Me,
Superman The Movie is My Favorite CBM.
It is the standard by which the others follow and if they don't,
THEY SHOULD!

If the movie is truly as bad as everyone says,
it's not Dakota Johnson's fault.
Sounds Like she initially thought that she was joining the MCU.
Jared Leto thought that, too.
Remember?
Sony might be deceiving them.

Hardly a spoiler but
I seen they recycled a shot from Raimi's 2 and I guess hoped no one would notice lol
:lol:

You're entitled to your opinion. I'm not sure how. Ezekiel is a bad character to make your villain, and Madame Web is not a good character to build a solo movie around. She's not a superhero. She's a minor supporting character at best.

The whole premise of this movie is flawed. I'm not sure how it could've worked with Ezekiel as the villain. His motivations in the film are already weak and flimsy.

For example, if different people work on the movie, and make Ezekiel the villain. How do you fix it? Besides not having him wear that ridiculous costume.
I am not rewriting this movie for you, lol. I don't disagree Madame Web wasn't a good character to build around, but I also don't see how that fundamental problem is fixed by putting in Morlun.

If Disney had any lasting or effective form of creative control, This Film Would Not Have Been Made.
Control isn't an all or nothing situation. It was that way before the Marvel Studios deal was made, but now Disney has the right to make the Spider-Man live action solos, that dynamic is different. Morbius and Madame Wev both were clearly meant to be loosely tied to the Holland films, and thus the MCU. But they distinctly made Vulture come from the MCU to a different universe, and in Madame Web there are certain character names that are hinted to but not stated. Why is that? Cause there are restrictions cause of the Holland films. So Disney clearly SOME say on these movies. Not in a they can or can't make them, but in regards to how they use characters the MCU has used or effecting the MCU itself? Clearly they have say on this

I am not rewriting this movie for you, lol. I don't disagree Madame Web wasn't a good character to build around, but I also don't see how that fundamental problem is fixed by putting in Morlun.

The actual character is this malevolent force. He's like Dracula for spider heroes. Ezekiel is just another dude with spider powers. He's an expository character who teaches the Peter and prospectively other spider heroes about their powers and he's not completely trustworthy. Ezekiel was never actually a villain. He doesn't look like a villain either. Case in point, they dress him up in this ridiculous costume to make everyone know he's a villain and looks like garbage.

Morlun actually looks like a villain and he's a dreadful character. He's likely ancient and stops at nothing. Case in point, audiences and critics are not buying into Ezekiel as a bad guy or character. People didn't like his performance, dialogue, or character arc. It was not a smart choice.

Also, I'm not saying Morlun as the bad guy would've definitively fixed a broken film, but it wouldn't have made things worse, which is basically what we're at here. We're at bottom of the barrel, Elektra/Catwoman levels with this film. And it's unfair to the actors who deserved better. Female-led superhero movies are already so heavily scrutinized anyway and you have the outrage grifters who go after them even further.

Wait so they dubbed the villain's lines?

Wait so they dubbed the villain's lines?
Yep.
I haven't personally seen it, but I've read a few reviews and other users online that have said that most of his dialogue seems to have been dubbed and possibly by a different actor all together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stryderzer0
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"