Sony Spin-Off Madame Web spin-off in the works

I understand that, hence why I don't necessarily think it's going to flop, and if it was a conversation that we were having last year I wouldn't object with that, but 2023 happened and it changed everything.

In similar notion the MCU as a whole was established for 30 films before it had its first major misfire. I can't believe that in a world where a sequel to a 1.13 billion dollar movie in the most popular and successful cinematic universe in existence made a mere 200 million a few months back, amongst numerous other bombs, and a Venom sequel will still reach half a billion after all is said and done. I guess we'll still be here to talk about that, but I just don't see it.
Both Ant-Man 3 and The Marvels didn't score well with audiences and critics. That's a big part of it for them. On the DC side, Blue Beetle was only one well reviewed but was a no name character. Everything else had mediocre to bad reviews and reception, and thus bad BO. The Venom movies have never been critical darlings, but have been crowd pleasers. So I don't see it flopping at all.

I have returned from my journey to Madame Web. Absolutely not a good movie. But I was entertained. I shall place it in the groupings I have with Apocalypse and Ghost Rider 2 in movies I enjoyed far, far more than Infinity War and Ragnarok.

Meanwhile, Ben Reilly sitting there not being used

giphy.gif

Ahh, the rare fan eager for a Chasm movie....

Both Ant-Man 3 and The Marvels didn't score well with audiences and critics. That's a big part of it for them. On the DC side, Blue Beetle was only one well reviewed but was a no name character. Everything else had mediocre to bad reviews and reception, and thus bad BO. The Venom movies have never been critical darlings, but have been crowd pleasers. So I don't see it flopping at all.
It's not like the Venom films are that much higher with audience. The second film has a 5.9 score on IMDB, while Quantumania has a 6.1. First Venom has an 80% audience score in RT, second one an 84% and Quantumania is at 82%. Both Venom films have a B+ Cinemascore rating, which is not really that high. It honestly is no that far off.

And all that assuming the third Venom film gets a similar reception, at a time where audience has become extremely fatigued with superhero content, unlike 2021 where they were craving for it, after a whole year of abesence. I wish them good luck with retaining public interest, even if we completely ignore what their universe has been up to these last couple of years.

It's not like the Venom films are that much higher with audience. The second film has a 5.9 score on IMDB, while Quantumania has a 6.1. First Venom has an 80% audience score in RT, second one an 84% and Quantumania is at 82%. Both Venom films have a B+ Cinemascore rating, which is not really that high. It honestly is no that far off.

And all that assuming the third Venom film gets a similar reception, at a time where audience has become extremely fatigued with superhero content, unlike 2021 where they were craving for it, after a whole year of abesence. I wish them good luck with retaining public interest, even if we completely ignore what their universe has been up to these last couple of years.
Both Venom movies had very solid legs, so they evidently scored better than the polling indicates cause they were much more leggy than those percentages would indicate. It isnt like they opened huge and had massive drops. They had very low drops. Let There Be Carnage especially cause that films OW wasnt seen as amazing i initially. Also, Venom Let There Be Carnage had no Chinese release. If that gets a Chinese release this time, it may very well outperform Venom Let There Be Carnage.

I suspect Venom 3 will become yet another victim of audiences just getting tired of these stuff. What the previous movies did before is not a good parameter anymore. And, to be honest and I'm sorry for saying this, those f**** movies deserve to flop. The jig is up, Sony.

I suspect Venom 3 will become yet another victim of audiences just getting tired of these stuff. What the previous movies did before is not a good parameter anymore. And, to be honest and I'm sorry for saying this, those f**** movies deserve to flop. The jig is up, Sony.
The Venom films entertain me, so I am alright with those doing well. The rest? Yeah, hope they fail lol

Ahh, the ever objective "I don't like this movie, it deserves to flop". You may not like them, but the Venom movies are better than the majority of Feige's output.

Ahh, the ever objective "I don't like this movie, it deserves to flop". You may not like them, but the Venom movies are better than the majority of Feige's output.
No, is not because I don't like them, but because they are movies designed to trick you into thinking of Spider-Man without having Spider-Man. Those movies reek of desperation, they are not artistic endeavours. It's all studio and IP and copyright and franchise contrivances.
I feel the same way about much of Marvel Studios' latest output to, I feel the need to add too.

I dunno about saying that the Venom movies are better than the majority of the MCU but it is better than a whole chunk. I think a lot of the MCU is overrated.

The Venom movies have Tom Hardy chewing the scenery like mad.

That alone is miles more enjoyable than the other Sony Spider-Man adjacent films could ever hope to be. Madame Web just happens to be the worst output so far.

Venom 2's strength is its acknowledgement of how outlandish it is. Venom in the club should be ridiculous, but the movie leans into it so much that I have to admire it. Same with Woody Harrelson bringing some of the vibes that he had in Natural Born Killers.

For those who don't want to be spoiled on how Dakota Johnson drinks her soft drinks, I would avoid TikTok and YouTube for Madame Web content. :hehe:

I dunno about saying that the Venom movies are better than the majority of the MCU but it is better than a whole chunk. I think a lot of the MCU is overrated.

Perhaps. It does get a bit bothersome to always to say "I enjoy more" over "better" at times.

Perhaps. It does get a bit bothersome to always to say "I enjoy more" over "better" at times.
Yeah I can understand that sentiment. There is a difference between talking about what movies you like better than others, and trying to talk objectively about what movies are better than others.

Although for a lot of the time it's not mutually exclusive which is why they overlap a lot in conversation.

wait, the line “you are the madame of this web,” was never actually said in the movie right? Its being floated all around social media like an actual line from the film. I saw the movie and am not even totally sure. :funny: :funny:

Oh. I think that's just the new it's morbin' time where the line didn't originate from the movie but from people memeing. Though I figured the Amazon line would have taken that place.

Oh. I think that's just the new it's morbin' time where the line didn't originate from the movie but from people memeing. Though I figured the Amazon line would have taken that place.
The line was in the Amazon with my mom when she was researching spiders right before she died.

So for those who don't watch SNL, Sydney Sweeney hosted last night. When she did the whole 'You may have recently seen me in insert movie,' she also said 'You definitely did not see me in Madame Web!'

Glad she's got a sense of humor about the whole thing!

I genuinely want to know everything that went on during production that your main actresses have turned on it immediately post-release.

There seems to be speculation that Sony blatantly lies to the actors they are going after for these Spider-Man spinoffs, telling them that they take place in the MCU (when they don't). Tom Rothman did a similar thing to Halle Berry to get her to sign on for X3 (which is why Mathew Vaughn ultimately left the project), so I would not put that past him.

"Yeah. I had the LA premiere for Madame Web and then went to Mexico City. I had pneumonia and was on steroids and the nebulizer and doing all these little things, and I was really, really sick and felt horrible. I looked horrible. I was like, Ugh. And then the movie came out and it was… [Pauses.] Like, I can’t take any of it seriously at all. I dunno.

Unfortunately, I’m not surprised that this has gone down the way it has.

It’s so hard to get movies made, and in these big movies that get made — and it’s even starting to happen with the little ones, which is what’s really freaking me out — decisions are being made by committees, and art does not do well when it’s made by committee. Films are made by a filmmaker and a team of artists around them. You cannot make art based on numbers and algorithms. My feeling has been for a long time that audiences are extremely smart, and executives have started to believe that they’re not. Audiences will always be able to sniff out bullsht. Even if films start to be made with AI, humans aren’t going to fcking want to see those.

But it was definitely an experience for me to make that movie. I had never done anything like it before. I probably will never do anything like it again because I don’t make sense in that world. And I know that now. But sometimes in this industry, you sign on to something, and it’s one thing and then as you’re making it, it becomes a completely different thing, and you’re like, Wait, what? But it was a real learning experience, and of course it’s not nice to be a part of something that’s ripped to shreds, but I can’t say that I don’t understand.

That’s why I have my own company. In a movie like that, I have no say about anything."
- Dakota Johnson (source)

wait, the line “you are the madame of this web,” was never actually said in the movie right? Its being floated all around social media like an actual line from the film. I saw the movie and am not even totally sure. :funny: :funny:

No. Just like Morbius never says "It's Morbin time." It's just social media nonsense.

"Yeah. I had the LA premiere for Madame Web and then went to Mexico City. I had pneumonia and was on steroids and the nebulizer and doing all these little things, and I was really, really sick and felt horrible. I looked horrible. I was like, Ugh. And then the movie came out and it was… [Pauses.] Like, I can’t take any of it seriously at all. I dunno.

Unfortunately, I’m not surprised that this has gone down the way it has.

It’s so hard to get movies made, and in these big movies that get made — and it’s even starting to happen with the little ones, which is what’s really freaking me out — decisions are being made by committees, and art does not do well when it’s made by committee. Films are made by a filmmaker and a team of artists around them. You cannot make art based on numbers and algorithms. My feeling has been for a long time that audiences are extremely smart, and executives have started to believe that they’re not. Audiences will always be able to sniff out bullsht. Even if films start to be made with AI, humans aren’t going to fcking want to see those.

But it was definitely an experience for me to make that movie. I had never done anything like it before. I probably will never do anything like it again because I don’t make sense in that world. And I know that now. But sometimes in this industry, you sign on to something, and it’s one thing and then as you’re making it, it becomes a completely different thing, and you’re like, Wait, what? But it was a real learning experience, and of course it’s not nice to be a part of something that’s ripped to shreds, but I can’t say that I don’t understand.

That’s why I have my own company. In a movie like that, I have no say about anything."
- Dakota Johnson (source)
The fact all these Hollywood blockbusters feel like they were made by an AI off spreadsheets and algorithms is exactly why 95% have sucked recently. Thank goodness for movies like Dune

Last edited:

Madame Web ending its domestic theatrical run after only 4 weeks. Also, it has failed to cross the 100M mark worldwide. This was one of the lowest-budgeted superhero movies of at least the past 10 years and Sony will still end up losing around 90M theatrically.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"