Madder Maximus Art 2

You are so talented in multiple areas! The book looks interesting and that’s good trailer and artwork to go with it.
Thanks! I honestly forgot I even did a trailer for it lol. I haven't even thought about a book trailer for the second book...

Speaking of book 2...

Underdrawing for the cover is underway

a5tlJgb.png

Redoing my cover digitally, so I'm now going with a spread illustration instead of just the cover. Refining the black "underdrawing" before diving into the colors.

xQ9yRz4.png

Been chipping at it off and on, also came down with the Covid with pretty much stopped any creative work for a while, but my book 2 cover is back in progress! Think I'm ready to get into the refinement digital color pencils soon.

h0f6N4G.jpg

Been chipping at it off and on, also came down with the Covid with pretty much stopped any creative work for a while, but my book 2 cover is back in progress! Think I'm ready to get into the refinement digital color pencils soon.

h0f6N4G.jpg
Nice cover. Is this a book you've written or doing a cover for someone else? What is it about and I guess that is the main character above?

Nice cover. Is this a book you've written or doing a cover for someone else? What is it about and I guess that is the main character above?

Oh it's for me. It's the cover-in-progress for the sequel book to my Graveslinger, titled Wrath of the Worm Wraith.

The first introduces Fiya Pratt Diaz, who works for a worldwide supernatural hunter/pest control and is stuck in a situation where a cult of demons (joyriding in human bodies) are attempting to resurrect a demon lord, and as a distraction, they unleashed a supernatural disease called Ghoul Fever (zombie plague). Werewolves are involved as mercenaries working for the demons. It also has a background subplot of Fiya's backstory. "Graveslinger" is a nickname given to her by her mentor.

Originally I was going to draw the whole thing as an 8-issue graphic novel, but because I draw so darn slow, I figured it would take me 10 years just to pencil/ink the thing. So I opted to write it as a novel, which wound up rekindling something I actually liked doing but never focused on because everyone around me kept pushing me in the art direction (which is a terrible direction for a career if you don't have an in). I actually like writing fiction and wish I had more time for it. I was able to strengthen Graveslinger, because as an 8-issue series, it seemed awfully condensed.

I've written two sequel books so far (and others are outlined) so Fiya has pretty much become my James Bond/Indiana Jones, but with monsters & stuff.

Wrath of the Worm Wraith involves a strange case of an entity killing people and leaving them infested with worms. This leads her into a ghoul-ridden Seattle (Escape from New York was a heavy inspiration for this one) to solve the case.

Graveslinger has been out (see my link in my signature), and I'm hoping Worm Wraith will be released later this year, and the 3rd book, Breath of Blood (a vampire hunt story that also plays with an Agatha Christie-style murder mystery game), next year.

It's all self-published as I couldn't find an agent that would take me on.

Oh it's for me. It's the cover-in-progress for the sequel book to my Graveslinger, titled Wrath of the Worm Wraith.

The first introduces Fiya Pratt Diaz, who works for a worldwide supernatural hunter/pest control and is stuck in a situation where a cult of demons (joyriding in human bodies) are attempting to resurrect a demon lord, and as a distraction, they unleashed a supernatural disease called Ghoul Fever (zombie plague). Werewolves are involved as mercenaries working for the demons. It also has a background subplot of Fiya's backstory. "Graveslinger" is a nickname given to her by her mentor.

Originally I was going to draw the whole thing as an 8-issue graphic novel, but because I draw so darn slow, I figured it would take me 10 years just to pencil/ink the thing. So I opted to write it as a novel, which wound up rekindling something I actually liked doing but never focused on because everyone around me kept pushing me in the art direction (which is a terrible direction for a career if you don't have an in). I actually like writing fiction and wish I had more time for it. I was able to strengthen Graveslinger, because as an 8-issue series, it seemed awfully condensed.

I've written two sequel books so far (and others are outlined) so Fiya has pretty much become my James Bond/Indiana Jones, but with monsters & stuff.

Wrath of the Worm Wraith involves a strange case of an entity killing people and leaving them infested with worms. This leads her into a ghoul-ridden Seattle (Escape from New York was a heavy inspiration for this one) to solve the case.

Graveslinger has been out (see my link in my signature), and I'm hoping Worm Wraith will be released later this year, and the 3rd book, Breath of Blood (a vampire hunt story that also plays with an Agatha Christie-style murder mystery game), next year.

It's all self-published as I couldn't find an agent that would take me on.
Thanks for all the details. That all sounds really cool! You are seriously talented writing multiple books as well as being a great artist! I’ve got a huge book backlog but will try yours out one day. :up:

The cover illustration finally done for Wrath of the Worm Wraith? It just might be!

W0bIjRW.jpg

Made a warm-up digital sketch this morning of a Pathfinder goblin character named Pickelish

KYblxYB.png

off to a great start

are you drawing more digitally these days or more on paper?

I'm trying to focus more with digital these days. It's not my preferred method, but it beats trying to photograph it for reproduction (and my photography skills are terrible when it comes to shooting art).

Though I could technically just scan drawings like that sketch since I could just get a 11x17 flatbed scanner, I figure it's best to just keep practicing with digital.

That book project is still in the very early stages of outlining, but I hope with it being more of a fantasy book, rather than an Urban-Fantasy/Action/Horror seies like Graveslinger, that I can get an Agent off of it and can be a traditionally published book.

I'm trying to focus more with digital these days. It's not my preferred method, but it beats trying to photograph it for reproduction (and my photography skills are terrible when it comes to shooting art).

Though I could technically just scan drawings like that sketch since I could just get a 11x17 flatbed scanner, I figure it's best to just keep practicing with digital.

what software/apps are you using? i keep saying i'm going to try to draw on my ipad but i haven't really yet

what software/apps are you using? i keep saying i'm going to try to draw on my ipad but i haven't really yet

Since I refuse to go back to photoshop/adobe (I hate subscription pay), I found Affinity Photo and while there's been a learning curve, I like it. And it's only $50 for the program (at least when I paid for it) along with $50 each for their Designer & Publisher programs (their Illustrator/InDesign equivalents).

And I use a Wacom Cintiq 16.

a cintiq?! :atp: i'd love to own one of those but i can't justify spending the money on something like that without having the time to devote to actually using it

I'm going to be cranking out some fanart sketches over the next month as digi-sketch practice. Had some people give suggestions on social media, so I've got a few characters picked out :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"