Marvel characters that Marvel actually has the rights too...

Bubonic

Superhero
Reaction score
Could someone be so kind as to list the properties Marvel studios actually has the rights too?

Obviously they control;

Iron Man
Incredible Hulk
Thor
Captain America
Ant-Man
Nick Fury
Black Widow
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Avengers (anyone ever named an Avenger?)

I think they own;

Namor
Blade
Daredevil
Moon Knight
Deathlok

And I'm positive they don't own;

Spider-man
X-men (anyone ever in an X series???? who would release such an expansive roster of characters?!?!)
Ghost Rider
Fantastic Four

So could someone correct the list, add to it, and clarify for me if the ones they don't have the rights too going to be forever out of their possession, or do these contracts end?

And how these rules apply to villains that cross-over from one good guy to the next?

Could someone be so kind as to list the properties Marvel studios actually has the rights too?

Obviously they control;

Iron Man
Incredible Hulk
Thor
Captain America
Ant-Man
Nick Fury
Black Widow
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Avengers (anyone ever named an Avenger?)

I think they own;

Namor
Blade
Daredevil
Moon Knight
Deathlok

And I'm positive they don't own;

Spider-man
X-men (anyone ever in an X series???? who would release such an expansive roster of characters?!?!)
Ghost Rider
Fantastic Four

So could someone correct the list, add to it, and clarify for me if the ones they don't have the rights too going to be forever out of their possession, or do these contracts end?

And how these rules apply to villains that cross-over from one good guy to the next?

It's kind of impossible to make a list since, with the exception of the relative few characters who's rights have been leased elsewhere, Marvel owns every single Marvel character ever created. You really want to try to list all of thise?

Other than that though, Universal, I believe, has the rights to Namor, Blade may have reverted back to Marvel, I'm not sure. But as far as the Avengers are concerned they own the team itself, not necessarily every character in it: Obviously they don't have the film rights to Spider-Man or Wolverine for instance.

And lastly, no, the rights aren't gone forever, it's generally a timed thing, like for instance if you bought the rights to Black Panther you might have to release a Black Panther movie at least once every five years or the rights would revert back to marvel. They'll be getting back more and more of their characters as time goes by, but I wouldn't count on X-Men specifically going back to them anytime soon since Fox seems to really want to hang on to that one and they already have 3 upcoming movies planned.

marvel_universe_litho.jpg

:ff: :ff: :ff:

^ From what time is that? Iron Man in Silver Centurion is drawn smaller than Daredevil & Angel (gasp), how things change now.

Marvel owns ALL!!!!

It's kind of impossible to make a list since, with the exception of the relative few characters who's rights have been leased elsewhere, Marvel owns every single Marvel character ever created. You really want to try to list all of thise?

Other than that though, Universal, I believe, has the rights to Namor, Blade may have reverted back to Marvel, I'm not sure. But as far as the Avengers are concerned they own the team itself, not necessarily every character in it: Obviously they don't have the film rights to Spider-Man or Wolverine for instance.

And lastly, no, the rights aren't gone forever, it's generally a timed thing, like for instance if you bought the rights to Black Panther you might have to release a Black Panther movie at least once every five years or the rights would revert back to marvel. They'll be getting back more and more of their characters as time goes by, but I wouldn't count on X-Men specifically going back to them anytime soon since Fox seems to really want to hang on to that one and they already have 3 upcoming movies planned.

Point taken, it of been a better question to ask who does Marvel not own.
Thing is, with the vast expanse of X-Men characters, seems like they could be making X related movies every couple of years for the next couple of centuries if that is the case.

As for Spider-Man it probably still be profitable to use him up for all he is worth for several sequels spinning off from where Raimi left the franchise, and then rebooting the frigging thing and starting over again...

And since they know something like Spidey or the X-Men is forever bankable, they might do like Corman did with that FF movie when they run out of ideas, ....

Not to say that no one else but Marvel will ever make good Marvel movies, but with this universe they are creating, I'd hate to never have Spidey be apart of it... Seems like that'll be the case if the contract is so easily manipulated.

Stupid Marvel, how could they sign such unforgiving contracts? :csad:

Not to say that no one else but Marvel will ever make good Marvel movies, but with this universe they are creating, I'd hate to never have Spidey be apart of it... Seems like that'll be the case if the contract is so easily manipulated.

Stupid Marvel, how could they sign such unforgiving contracts? :csad:

I agree that I'd also like to see Spiderman in the Marvel Movie-verse, but I think Marvel is quite clever.

They've kept their movie-verse tight and controllable, with specific goals (Avengers) in mind. Having millions of characters flying around can and will be difficult to control.

However, they still have Spiderman, X-men, FF and so-on on screen. Out of Marvel movie continuity because of the easily explained different studio explanation.

Just try and NOT give anymore to Fox.

They don't need to reboot Spider-man.

The movies were a success and there are are still good villains in his rogues gallery which haven't been in them yet.

All they need to do is recast the leads and get a new director if Riami isn't coming back.

Who said Spidey, X-Men, etc. are out of the movie Marvel universe. They simply don't appear in the Avengers-based movies doesn't mean they can't co-exist. In fact I think it is very probable that Sam Raimi's Spidey and Jon Favreau's Iron Man co-exist in the same universe, we just don't see it.

It's up to your imagination. ;)

Seriously though, Marvel does not own the rights to Spdier-Man, X-Men, Fantastic Four, Silver Surfer, Daredevil/Elektra, Ghost Rider and maybe Blade when it comes to movies. Everything else they have in their stable. Do expect Sony and Fox to continue milking Spidey and X though and for the rights not to regress.

Who said Spidey, X-Men, etc. are out of the movie Marvel universe. They simply don't appear in the Avengers-based movies doesn't mean they can't co-exist.

If you're referring to me, I meant that (imo) it would be a better business decision for Marvel to keep their movie-verse simpler and therefore easier to control.

I agree to an extent though. I just like the idea of keeping them separate so Marvel doesn't have any Sony/Fox etc baggage to consider when making their own films...

I wouldn't be surprised to see DD in a Spidey movie but I don't think you'd ever see Spidey in a Avengers movie. I'm actually confident with Fox having the X-verse cuase I honestly don't think it could work well with the Avengers and its good to keep them separate. I think Marvel will interact certain properties where they fit and not force them.

Hey does anyone here think that at some stage the Spidey-Sony contract will expire and then the Spidey film rights will return Marvel so they can make some decent Spidey films?

Hey does anyone here think that at some stage the Spidey-Sony contract will expire and then the Spidey film rights will return Marvel so they can make some decent Spidey films?
I hope so.

+ It woulde be cool to see Frank Miller's Elektra.

^ From what time is that? Iron Man in Silver Centurion is drawn smaller than Daredevil & Angel (gasp), how things change now.

Yeah, even Moon Knight is drawn bigger than Iron Man. :whatever: This was drawn back in the late 80s/early 90s (you can see X-Factors with the Original Five there), so perhaps IM was unpopular back then?

Luke Cage- he should be in the Avengers movie..

Cloak & Dagger

hopefully Daredevil will expire with Fox soon.. he can get a revamp like the Incredible Hulk...

They don't need to reboot Spider-man.

The movies were a success and there are are still good villains in his rogues gallery which haven't been in them yet.

All they need to do is recast the leads and get a new director if Riami isn't coming back.

The Spidey movies were, for the most part, great.

But apart from Dr. Octopus, and the characterization of the original GG, I don't think the villains were handled that well.

They went for realism but made a really boring to look at GG, hell Dafoe with a green latex mask would of looked more goblin-eske ... Harry wasn't that much better, Venom was trash, Sandman was ok... MJ was a piece of crap except that time we saw her nipples...

Plus my argument isn't that I want Marvel to have every single right so they can put all characters in each others movies, I wouldn't want an X-Men, Avengers team up, but I wouldn't mind Cyclops showing up as a cameo if it was appropriate, or Cap is taking down some thugs in a Cap movie, .... From a distance you see Spidey swinging to give a helping hand, by the time he gets there the situation taken care of like the opening of Ultimate Alliance, words are exchanged, and he swings out of the scene and out of the movie.

It is just that little acknowledgment that be great.

I also wouldn't mind have a few characters make appearances in Avengers movies... like how Wolverine and Spider-Man show up in Stark Tower, and maybe explore a friendship between Stark and Parker. If they ever did a Civil War movie they'd have to have some of those characters involved, since they play crucial roles in the story.

Bubonic:

I agree with that.

I just don't think it needs a reboot. Nothing is perfect as you suggested but it provided a good foundation for future films to continue from.

Luke Cage- he should be in the Avengers movie..

Cloak & Dagger

hopefully Daredevil will expire with Fox soon.. he can get a revamp like the Incredible Hulk...

YES...Luke Cage! :) That'd be fantastic.

Who said Spidey, X-Men, etc. are out of the movie Marvel universe. They simply don't appear in the Avengers-based movies doesn't mean they can't co-exist. In fact I think it is very probable that Sam Raimi's Spidey and Jon Favreau's Iron Man co-exist in the same universe, we just don't see it.

It's up to your imagination. ;)

Seriously though, Marvel does not own the rights to Spdier-Man, X-Men, Fantastic Four, Silver Surfer, Daredevil/Elektra, Ghost Rider and maybe Blade when it comes to movies. Everything else they have in their stable. Do expect Sony and Fox to continue milking Spidey and X though and for the rights not to regress.

Why don't the just acknowledge the other character existing in or around their realm . i think that could be a cool nod and not cause problems.

I hate all this legal stuff. It lessens the potential of Marvel Studios when they can't use their own biggest selling characters.

Marvel should distribute some other characters back to other studios... if they stick to two films a year then they'll never get everyone a movie... movies like Luke Cage and Iron Fist... those lesser characters could go to a studio like Lions Gate or something. I don't know why they sold Namor to Universal but I guess he's stuck there for now. Definitely give DD to Sony so we can see some cross overs between those two. Marvel should also be able to co-lease certain characters to other studios for short term usage if another studio needs certain characters.

I doubt Daredevil will go to anyone but Marvel. I think they'd want to make a good movie of him. There is potential for a lot of likability in DD, and they probably want to run with that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
japanorsomewher
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"