Matt Reeves To Direct The Upcoming Batman Solo - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see why Reeve's trilogy can't simply be an earlier story from his career. I'd love to see a noir style full blown detective movie with Batman in it preferably from his early days (not straight up year one early), so he'll actually have to do some detective work and won't know everything about everything just yet.

This is why casting an older Batman 20 years into his career as Batman was a huge mistake. All because Snyder is obsessed with Frank Miller and The Dark Knight Returns and basically wanted to make that movie. And he probably likes it for the wrong reasons.

It was an interesting idea I guess for something different, but they have kinda roped themselves into a corner. Affleck will be 50 before The Batman actually hits screens, and if this is gonna be a trilogy, that's gonna put him at what? 55 at best when it's all said and done? Affleck isn't exactly Tom Cruise. Several people are saying that since Ben hasn't exactly treated his body like a temple that it takes more of a toll on him.

They set this up as an older Batman who has been Batman for 20 years and is at the end of his rope. Ben Affleck was also made up to older and even remarked about being older than his father ever was.

Once again, Snyder loves The Dark Knight Returns and that's the Batman he wanted to adapt.

BTAS and TNBA both had Nightwing and Batgirl without a Batman who was 45-46.

So what is the problem with a 45-46 year old Batman? I don't see why its wrong or an invalid take on the character.

And logically, any Batman universe where Nightwing exists Batman HAS to be approaching his mid-40s. It doesn't make any sense that Bruce Wayne could meet Dick Grayson when Dick was a kid and raise him until adulthood and not age as well. He's not an immortal from Highlander for crying out loud.

To be fair did we ever find out how old that batman was? I remember nightwing making remarks about him being slower in his old age.

No he wasn't a spring chicken probably mid 30's to early 40's.

It was an interesting idea I guess for something different, but they have kinda roped themselves into a corner. Affleck will be 50 before The Batman actually hits screens, and if this is gonna be a trilogy, that's gonna put him at what? 55 at best when it's all said and done? Affleck isn't exactly Tom Cruise. Several people are saying that since Ben hasn't exactly treated his body like a temple that it takes more of a toll on him.

But his actual age doesn't have to match his character age, it's called acting

But his actual age doesn't have to match his character age, it's called acting

Is that what they do on the big 'ol movie box thang with dem pictures dat move across the screen and stuff? I'm just a poor Louisiana boy day wrestles gators in the front yard to take the boat to work. :D :p No, I get that the ages don't have to match, but insiders are talking about the physical toll that it could take on Affleck at that age. That's what they were getting at when they said he didn't exactly treat his body like a temple. Those suits aren't light, the stunt work they do allow him to do take quite a toll, and he honestly seems kinda ******** to me, regardless of what he tells the media. And I can't really blame the man. You could tell when he was doing the press for Live by Night when he was complaining that it seemed like nobody cared about that, but there were a million Batman questions. He seemed VERY aggravated. Then to just have his script tossed can't have made him feel like he had the most support from WB.

So what is the problem with a 45-46 year old Batman? I don't see why its wrong or an invalid take on the character.

And logically, any Batman universe where Nightwing exists Batman HAS to be approaching his mid-40s. It doesn't make any sense that Bruce Wayne could meet Dick Grayson when Dick was a kid and raise him until adulthood and not age as well. He's not an immortal from Highlander for crying out loud.

The problem is that they are trying to make a shared universe franchise with multiple films with the same actors that could theoretically run for 10 years or even longer.

So you get less of an opportunity to see an actor grow into the role or even really age along with the role and mature.

Also, the problem is that Snyder really wanted Frank Miller's Batman from The Dark Knight Returns. Hence why his Batman is older and hues closer to that version of the character, even direct dialogue lifts from that story and scene lifts as well.

There are plenty of workarounds to Nightwing existing and the ages. Especially if Robin became Bruce Wayne's ward when Bruce was like 25 or 26.

Think of it like this. The Long Halloween featured a younger Batman very early into his career as Batman. Probably not even 30 yet. Dark Victory takes place not long after. Long Halloween is like post-year one, and Dark Victory is basically like a year-two type story. So if Batman is 25-26 around this time, and Dick is 11-12, and he assumes the role of Nightwing around 10 years later, it works out. And you can have a 37-38 year old Bruce. Instead of a Bruce Wayne who is pushing 50. Again, you are setting yourself back.

AndrewGilkison, you are arguing here, but my point stands because now we are at a point where the trades are reporting that they are possibly looking to recast Affleck after Justice League.

I'd really like Reeves to just adapt those 2 works, but it's not gonna happen. I just want something different. I'm a huge Nolan supporter. I genuinely think he pretty much killed it. The problem with that is trying to follow something like that up. It has to be something damn near completely different. It's why they had no business trying to do a take on the Joker again so soon. Was it perfect? Not for everyone, but I thought it was pretty close to perfection. In that case, their "different" just didn't work, but I think as a film series, Reeves is gonna have to bring a completely different feel. I have faith he can do it, but I'm lobbying for the hard core detective take. It's something we haven't seen before with Batman, and it's an aspect of his character that has been sorely overlooked. I'd love to basically have "Silence of the Lambs" but with Batman smack in the middle of it.

Is that what they do on the big 'ol movie box thang with dem pictures dat move across the screen and stuff? I'm just a poor Louisiana boy day wrestles gators in the front yard to take the boat to work. :D :p No, I get that the ages don't have to match, but insiders are talking about the physical toll that it could take on Affleck at that age. That's what they were getting at when they said he didn't exactly treat his body like a temple. Those suits aren't light, the stunt work they do allow him to do take quite a toll, and he honestly seems kinda ******** to me, regardless of what he tells the media. And I can't really blame the man. You could tell when he was doing the press for Live by Night when he was complaining that it seemed like nobody cared about that, but there were a million Batman questions. He seemed VERY aggravated. Then to just have his script tossed can't have made him feel like he had the most support from WB.

I know I was just having a little fun but I think you can add that stuff into the story. I've seen alot of stories about a young Batman, but an older grizzled Vet facing the end of his life as that persona sounds exciting. Batman is who Bruce Wayne truly is, so how does he grapple without it? What about the anger he feels for his parents death. Where is that anger directed at then? I'd love to see those issued explored.

Age is not the issue...seriously.

Some 20 y/o men look like 40.

There's a thing called make up. Ben's personal life and enthusiasm, and WB/Reeves' plans are the key right now.

I think calling it a "huge mistake" is a massive exaggeration. Ben Affleck is not old and wrinkly like Clint Eastwood. He could still pass for mid-30's Batman if you dye his hair. He still looks quite young for his age.

There was and is nothing wrong with an older, more seasoned Batman. An older more seasoned Batman is what allows us to have Nightwing and Batgirl, and maybe Tim Drake as Robin. An older, more seasoned Batman is what would allow us to have older, more seasoned versions of his villains already existing and not have to do origins for them. So its a perfectly valid choice to make.

This.

An older Batman allows for more of the family/fatherhood elements of the character.

And it's not like he was portrayed as so old that there was an issue regarding that. Onscreen, he moved like a young man, he looked great for his age, etc. He was just emotionally weary, which lets face it, Batman often is.

Nevermind that you can't really say it was a mistake to cast Ben based on age. The age isn't the issue here. The issues surrounding Ben as Batman are not only due to his age, but various personal and professional issues. He looks great for his age, is in pretty good shape, and could probably play Batman for another 10 years if he wanted to.

Right. With the money and resources Affleck has at his disposal, staying in great shape well into his fifties would be perfectly doable. It really is a matter of him wanting to put forth the time and effort, as well as him making a successful recovery from alcoholism. If Affleck wanted to play the part into the foreseeable future, his age is a non-issue.

Last edited:
I don't even know why you guys are arguing about the age? This Batman is established as a seasoned Batman, so even if Affleck leaves, they'll still have to cast someone around the same age. We know they're expanding the Bat-family in this universe, so we're staying with an older, more seasoned Batman for the DCEU. With all of the quotes from Geoff Johns, it sounds like we're staying with this version of Batman, regardless of who plays him.

Right. With the money and resources Affleck has at his disposal, staying in great shape well into his fifties would be perfectly doable. It really is a matter of him wanting to put forth the time and effort, as well as him making a successful recovery from alcoholism. If Affleck wanted to play the part into the foreseeable future, his age is a non-issue.

This is the main issue with Affleck's suitability to continue in the role. His age is immaterial.

The Rock is the same age as Affleck. I'm not hearing anyone saying he's too old for big action roles.

To quote an archaeologist: "It's ain't the years honey, it's the mileage."

Affleck needs to sort his mileage out.

The rock treats his body like a real batman would lol

The rock treats his body like a real batman would lol

And that's the real problem with Affleck. It's not his age, it's his lifestyle. When he was first cast my only real issue with it was knowing what kind of guy Affleck is. He drinks, smokes, has dabbled with drugs, eats poorly... all these things are pretty well documented.

Now, I'm not suggesting that to play Batman you have to act like Batman off screen, but the role requires a lot of discipline and determination to pull off both the look and the character. That's why Bale was perfect for the part. The guy is a machine when it comes to body development.

Affleck? Yeah.... not so much.

Affleck's age was never really the issue for me, it was his willingness (or lack thereof) to put on the cowl year after year. I saw that as an issue quite some time ago, even before BvS was released, and clearly my concerns were warranted.

I doubt Affleck wants to be doing crossfit workouts and eating an egg white diet until he's 56.

Affleck's age was never really the issue for me, it was his willingness (or lack thereof) to put on the cowl year after year. I saw that as an issue quite some time ago, even before BvS was released, and clearly my concerns were warranted.
They were definitely warranted. I was mind-boggled why Affleck after he restored his image and career and became a successful and legit filmmaker opted to do the type of movie he said he'd never do ever again.

Just got back from the 3rd Apes movie, in a very strong year for movies this was possibly the best so far. Superb movie and Reeves is at the the top of his game. I am not a huge Batman fan, but Reeves being involved means I will be seeing this movie no matter what.

They were definitely warranted. I was mind-boggled why Affleck after he restored his image and career and became a successful and legit filmmaker opted to do the type of movie he said he'd never do ever again.

He feels the same way.

People_are_being_mean_by_making_mashups_of_sad_Ben_Affleck_s_reaction_to_Batman_v_Superman_reviews.jpg

This is why casting an older Batman 20 years into his career as Batman was a huge mistake. All because Snyder is obsessed with Frank Miller and The Dark Knight Returns and basically wanted to make that movie. And he probably likes it for the wrong reasons.

If he is obsessed with that story that would explain why his Supes came off so badly. That story is more for Batman fans to further the fantasy that he could defeat Superman.

And when you start with that illogical premise, it's really hard to write a story around it that makes sense. Superman has to be the biggest moron on the planet to lose to Batman so of course they had to write Supes as an idiot in BvS.

At least here, Reeves doesn't have to make something that ridiculous work in a movie. That's another reason why I'm so excited for this one. He can keep the story on the ground where Batman makes sense.

Just got back from the 3rd Apes movie, in a very strong year for movies this was possibly the best so far. Superb movie and Reeves is at the the top of his game. I am not a huge Batman fan, but Reeves being involved means I will be seeing this movie no matter what.

Just saw it too and if Reeves puts as much into his Batman like he did with Ceasar then we are in for a real treat.

If he is obsessed with that story that would explain why his Supes came off so badly. That story is more for Batman fans to further the fantasy that he could defeat Superman.

And when you start with that illogical premise, it's really hard to write a story around it that makes sense. Superman has to be the biggest moron on the planet to lose to Batman so of course they had to write Supes as an idiot in BvS.

At least here, Reeves doesn't have to make something that ridiculous work in a movie. That's another reason why I'm so excited for this one. He can keep the story on the ground where Batman makes sense.

Lmao, :loco:.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"