MCU Dazzler movie

Dark Raven

It's not about what you deserve...
Reaction score
Here's a thread for a potential MCU Dazzler movie musical.

Dazzler1.jpg

Now that Disney have her back, the possibilities are endless. This has a huge potential. Dazzler is unique in that she can transcend the whole comic book genre and appeal to all the musical fans and Disney princess fans too.

There's also tons of cross promotional potential too if they release singles and an album. Those who hear the songs might want to go see the movie, and those who see the movie might want to buy the songs.

Since musicals are huge (and High School Musical did very well), this could have an impressive run like Wonder Woman. And Marvel need to keep expanding their genres.

I'd start her off on her own, just like in the comics, and later she can cross over with the X-Men. She can cameo in other movies too as a famous singer that everyone is listening to, and her music can be promoted by characters listening to her (eg even the Runaways could be listening to her stuff).

I'm not sure who I would cast. It could be a genuine pop star with acting credits, or an actress who can sing. The advantage of the former is that it would have more credibility in the charts.

But there are a number of Disney actresses who are singers too.

Suggestions include

Bridgit Mendler:

285088c2ac38005c98c5b33ef40949d6--bridgit-mendler-boston.jpg

Halston Sage:

o60Wbt7.jpg

Taylor Swift (she might be a bit too tall):

img.png

Maybe down the line, this shouldn’t be a priority just yet

This is a great example of the kind of movie that simply won't happen in the MCU.

This has Disney written all over it. Marvel have to keep trying new genres. They also want to maximise their business potential, and this could be very commercially successful.

It's something they weren't able to do all the way back in the 70s when the idea was first proposed, but it's entirely possible now that the comic book genre is well established.

With Fox, they would probably only have been likely to include it within an X-Men movie rather than making it a movie of its own.

actually, chances are higher with Disney than with Fox

What is this based on? Disney has a full slate, and the X-Men have a number of other characters that have blockbuster trilogy potential that Dazzler doesn't have. Fox has plenty impetus to look for "another Deadpool" as a lean mid-budget project that breaks the genre, but the MCU just doesn't do that or need that.

This has Disney written all over it. Marvel have to keep trying new genres. They also want to maximise their business potential, and this could be very commercially successful.

It's something they weren't able to do all the way back in the 70s when the idea was first proposed, but it's entirely possible now that the comic book genre is well established.

With Fox, they would probably only have been likely to include it within an X-Men movie rather than making it a movie of its own.

What is this based on? The MCU have to keep trying new genres, but that doesn't mean that a Rom Com with super powers has "Disney written all over it." They choose genres that fuse well with the action genre, because that's a huge part of superheros and having super powers, and musical competition isn't in that zone at all.

Fox was looking for spinoffs of solo characters, talking about Multiple Man for crying out loud. That's where their recent critical and commercial success was coming from. The MCU gets their critical and commercial success from team ups, and doesn't give solos to their team members like Widow, Hulk or Vision, or even Iron Man anymore. They don't need to, either, so this idea that it's something they're likely to want for Dazzler just because it's now possible sounds like a random baseless assertion.

Just because the MCU is better doesn't mean it's better in every way. There are pluses and minuses to every single thing. The X-Men joining the MCU is no exception. Something was lost. We do not have our cake and eat it too. We have the promise of a great MCU-style take on the X-Men. Dazzler will eventually get some time to shine, just like Tigra eventually will. But there's no compelling reason to think that it will be a solo movie, or that it will be soon.

Dazzler should be utilized as a member of the X-Men. The cartoons and the videogames didn't do this and I bet Dark Phoenix wont too. Time for a change!

Honestly, I don't see this as something that Fox would have done, either. I mean, maybe years and years down the road if they found themselves lacking a better franchise release. But, no, not really.

I love the idea of having an MCU Dazzler! Good on darkraven for making this thread.

Give it a full Disney menken type score. Make it as gay as Carly Rae Jepsen as Frenchie in the Grease live thing and watch the money roll in. In fact, cast Carly as the lead

quick image uploader

And what a perfect time to bring in mojo as a villain

I love the idea of having an MCU Dazzler! Good on darkraven for making this thread.

Give it a full Disney menken type score. Make it as gay as Carly Rae Jepsen as Frenchie in the Grease live thing and watch the money roll in. In fact, cast Carly as the lead

quick image uploader

And what a perfect time to bring in mojo as a villain

Now that you mention Grease live, Julianne Hough would make a decent Dazzler. I think she's done more acting than Carly Rae Jepsen, who has only played herself or Frenchie in any of her filmography.

Julianne Hough could handle any dancing and likely the roller skating too. The only hesitation I'd have with her is that she sounds rather countryish when she sings rather than pop or rock. Although she was good as Sandy and not overly countryish there.

Honestly, I don't see this as something that Fox would have done, either. I mean, maybe years and years down the road if they found themselves lacking a better franchise release. But, no, not really.

It wasn't exactly likely at Fox, but at least I could see how it could conceivably happen (the way Deadpool did, the way Multiple Man was warming up, or perhaps even the way Legion came to be). None of that would ever work on the MCU. If it doesn't build up to the next crossover event, no thanks.

Now, that said... would I love a Dazzler movie?

Yes, yes and also, very much so.

In the MCU, you're pretty much asking for a Disney star who's ready to ascend, like Zendaya. That's person's name is Bridget Mendler.

tumblr_mldnu8bsmz1rax0j5o3_250.gif
tumblr_mlk4brT1C81r5xd5wo5_250.gif
tumblr_mldnu8bsmz1rax0j5o4_250.gif

Put her in a film that splits it's time between action and a big concert climax where she's fighting to be her unique self, her mutant self, despite the forces around her who are afraid of what she's capable of. Basically, Pitch Perfect meets Josie and the Pussycats (super underrated film, btw). You can even include a villain that intersects with the entertainment world well, like Mojo or Arcade. Mojo would make it fun and easy to bring in her boo Longshot. It would also go a long way to making Lila Cheney not such a Random Sue. Bring in top notch musicians, as Disney always does for their animated features, to craft the music, let a real band be her 'warriors three' and make yourself a killer soundtrack. Throw in the characters from her solo comics as supporting cast and have yourself a blast and a half.

Now that I'm excited about the idea, I do see one way Marvel might actually do something like this. IF the MCU starts doing mid-tier made-for-streaming movies to bolster their streaming service, then Dazzler might actually make a lot of sense in that context. No way it's one of the three blockbusters they make each year in the forseeable future. Zero chance.

They don't have to do it as one of their three main blockbusters. They're likely to go to four anyway. But be prepared that this could easily end up a huge blockbuster anyway along the lines of Frozen. And High School Musical was released into theatres by the third movie even though the franchise started off as a Disney channel movie.

And yes to Bridgit Mendler. She can sing, act, do comedy. She also reminds me of a girl I know. She would probably be my top choice.

She could potentially battle Songbird/ Screaming Mimi who has similar sonic powers (but not light powers).

Last edited:
Yeah, if making a Frozen blockbuster was easy for anyone, I'm sure the people who made Frozen would do it again. There's no reason to think that a Marvel movie that doesn't cater to their existing audience will hit with the force of Disney animation studios at the top of its game, catering to its more easily placable audience. There just aren't any blockbusters built around a musical performance storyline, and that's okay.

As I'm looking and Mendler more, I don't see a lot of drama chops. I heard Chloe Grace Moretz was in line to play Ariel for the Little Mermaid. If that's true, it might be really, REALLY good to see her in the superhero role she deserves.

People love musicals. One of the biggest movies of the year was beauty and the beast and last year was La La land's year.

Imagine Nathan Lane as Mojo! Audra MacDonald as spyral?

Dove Cameron is another potential candidate

5c11e73391a74ce19fde3e57922b6ef82247c013_hq.jpg

She's another Disney star and singer

The only thing is that Marvel have cast her in a mystery role in Agents of SHIELD.

Dove-Cameron-Clark-Gregg-Agents-of-SHIELD.jpg

But if it's minor enough, or she's in Kree make up, then maybe it won't matter.

^I thought of her too.

It'll be interesting to see how the MCU casts this stuff going forward, since so many actors are already engaged on the TV side, or in previous Fox or Sony marvel projects.

People love musicals. One of the biggest movies of the year was beauty and the beast and last year was La La land's year.

Imagine Nathan Lane as Mojo! Audra MacDonald as spyral?

Guys, Dazzler is no comparison to golden age of Disney animation nostalgia, or golden age of Hollywood nostalgia. Saying Dazzler has a good/excellent/guaranteed chance to make a billion because "there's music in it" and "people like musicals" is really short sighted. Jem and the Holograms happened, and is a much more direct comparison to Dazzler's mythos, adaptation challenges and existing fanbase. The B&Bs and LaLands and Les Miserable's are rare, and even then, outside of B&B, they make less money than Ant-Man. Dazzler is anything but a license to print money, and the MCU already has their money printing process.

BUT, parade raining aside, I have a question do you guys want Dazzler to be a traditional musical, where the sound is non-diagetic, or a movie with diagetic sound, where the music performance is in the plot? In a traditional musical, like Frozen or Annie, the characters aren't themselves singers in the plot, there isn't even usually a band, music just 'happens' like a magic, and the audience just accepts this as a caveat of the genre, like they accept magic in a fantasy story. Alternately, you have movies like Sing or Pitch Perfect, in which all the music actually happens in the story itself, and people comment on the musical instruments and singing, because it's diagetic - in the story. Of course, some music competition/performance stories also include non-diagetic songs, or at least skirt that line, but generally, there is a line?

So, which are you guys thinking of a traditional musical with some musical performance in it, like Hairspray? Or a story with totally diagetic sound, like August Rush?

also:

Are there any musicians/musical talents that you would want involved in a Dazzler movie?

Last edited:
I think it has to be a combination of both, because of the way the character is. Some of the songs will be straight up performances at a concert that people are attending. Other songs can be used to move forward the plot like in Grease or the Sound of Music.

I'd say the Sound of Music is probably a good template. That had songs where they are actually performing (eg the Lonely Goatherd, So Long Farewell, Edelweiss or even one rendition of the title song The Sound of Music). Others are songs that simply move the plot along (eg I have confidence, How do you solve a problem like Maria, Sixteen Going on Seventeen, the first rendition of The Sound of Music, Climb every Mountain).

Or another good template would be the stage musical version of School of Rock. That uses some songs from the movie where it's a pure concert or classroom performance, and then other songs to elaborate on a particular moment and tell how a character is feeling.

They could have scenes where she or her band members are writing songs, and it starts off as a musical exercise, but then the subject of the song actually addresses a situation someone is going through.

As for musical talent, well it really depends on what style they're going for. Avril Lavigne has written a number of songs for films. Sara Bareilles also wrote the music for the musical "Waitress".

The songs could all be written by one rock or pop musican, or by a song writer like Diane Warren.

I don't know if they'll go more rock or pop, but I think it's better to have a mix of musical genres to have a broader appeal.

If it had enough songs though, they could actually release Dazzler as a stage musical too. In fact, that is actually one way to go if they didn't want to do a movie. It would do better though if it were a movie first.

Last edited:
Here's a thread for a potential MCU Dazzler movie musical.

Dazzler1.jpg

Now that Disney have her back, the possibilities are endless. This has a huge potential. Dazzler is unique in that she can transcend the whole comic book genre and appeal to all the musical fans and Disney princess fans too.

There's also tons of cross promotional potential too if they release singles and an album. Those who hear the songs might want to go see the movie, and those who see the movie might want to buy the songs.

Since musicals are huge (and High School Musical did very well), this could have an impressive run like Wonder Woman. And Marvel need to keep expanding their genres.

I'd start her off on her own, just like in the comics, and later she can cross over with the X-Men. She can cameo in other movies too as a famous singer that everyone is listening to, and her music can be promoted by characters listening to her (eg even the Runaways could be listening to her stuff).

I'm not sure who I would cast. It could be a genuine pop star with acting credits, or an actress who can sing. The advantage of the former is that it would have more credibility in the charts.

But there are a number of Disney actresses who are singers too.

Suggestions include

Bridgit Mendler:

285088c2ac38005c98c5b33ef40949d6--bridgit-mendler-boston.jpg

Halston Sage:

o60Wbt7.jpg

Taylor Swift (she might be a bit too tall):

img.png

You keep plugging mate, hopefully one day feige will take notice. I will be the first to congratulate you.

You keep plugging mate, hopefully one day feige will take notice. I will be the first to congratulate you.

I suppose I could tweet him. If I explained to him and Disney all the potential financial benefits of such a movie, he might take note.

It would be an interesting prospect and could get different people to the cinema.

If I did tweet Feige and Disney, I'm guessing it would have to be a graphic tweet since an actual written tweet only has a limited amount of characters. Would that be right?

I'm not too sure how to tweet someone though as I barely use Twitter except to follow people.

Just some words then use @ and a search feature will show up and just type Kevin Feige. His account will show up, then click his name. For your long post/pitch. You can screengrab it then just attach it to your tweet. You can also use hashtags like #DazzlerTheMovie

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"