Mel Gibson As The Dark Knight

Fresh Prince

Superhero
Reaction score
I remember reading on wikipedia on Batman 89 for casting that Mel Gibson was originally gonna play Batman but they had Keaton instead who won the role over from Gibson. Would Mel Gibson have made a good Batman and Bruce Wayne? I mean Gibson was a good underrated actor who had the looks, charms and wittyness to him to play Bruce Wayne. He also had that cocky, arrogant, i'm the best attitude to him. So he would of been a great Bruce Wayne. As for Batman well he could get deep as an actor and play up Batman's aggression and pain and suffering. Also like Batman, Gibson was a badass. I think it would of worked out just Gibson would of had to get rid of the mullet he had in the late 80s. What everyone esle think?

I think Gobson never wanted to be in a movie with a mask and a costume on. That said, he was perfect for the Lethal Weapon franchise at the time.

I remember hearing that rumor back in the day. It was said he was offered the job, but had to turn it down for Lethal Weapon. I thought he might have made a passable Batman.
As an aside, there was also that movie where he played a guy that was disfigured like Two-Face.

He has the look and he's a good actor but I cant see him wanting to be Batman. The fight at the end of Lethal Weapon was pretty intense so he could have been an effective obsessed vigilante.

He has the look and he's a good actor but I cant see him wanting to be Batman. The fight at the end of Lethal Weapon was pretty intense so he could have been an effective obsessed vigilante.

Well yeah thats what i'm saying he would of been a great Batman. How old is he now? Cause I wanna gonna say maybe in 10 years he could play Batman in a TDKR movie.

No.
HELL NO.

Gibson had an athletic body and also had intense badassness attitude to him. Plus he knew how to fight in action movies. He could of pulled off being Batman.

And he could do great in TDKR.

I guess the Joker would've been named Jack Nachman or Nussbaum

They said Alec Baldwin was considered too. I can picture him better than Mel Gibson, his voice has more gravel to it.

Mel Gibson was indeed the original choice, but Lethal Weapon 2 was shooting at around the same time. Remember that both movies were released like a month apart.

But I later on heard that even if Lethal Weapon 2 wasn't in the way he would have turned down the role because it reminded him too much of Mad Max, the role that made him a star. So, he felt like, "been there. done that."

They said Alec Baldwin was considered too.

Alec Baldwin was the second choice, but Burton said no since they both got into a bit of a feud during the making of Beetlejuice.

Do not see the similarities between Mad Max and Batman.

Do not see the similarities between Mad Max and Batman.

Both are serious, silent chracters. They are both loners. They both went through a tragedy. So, there was enough in common for Gibson to be like, "nah, I'd rather play Martin Riggs."

Martin Riggs had tradegy and was a loner with a death wish.

EDIT: Fixed.

Last edited by a moderator:
...besides I can't see Batman getting drunk and calling Catwoman "Sugartits".

Only in the first movie. And even then he had Danny Glover to talk to.

Here is an idea, lets just superimpose Danny Glover's head onto Robin's body. I think the title "Lethal Dark Bat Weapon" fits!!

Gibson is a damn good actor and I'm sure would've made a great Batman at the time.

Gibson is a damn good actor and I'm sure would've made a great Batman at the time.

I dunno, he just seems to CALIFORNIA for me to take him seriously as Bruce Wayne ( I know he's Australian, so don't blast me.)

I think Gibson would've made a great Bruce Wayne/Batman.

I dunno, he just seems to CALIFORNIA for me to take him seriously as Bruce Wayne ( I know he's Australian, so don't blast me.)

Keaton was in Mr. Mom before Batman. And he looked nothing like a Batman or Bruce Wayne yet he pulled it off.

I would have to say ney on Gibson being in a DKR movie man...

Tom Selleck on the other hand....haha make that mustache shaving scene way more symbolic and intense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"