MICHAEL KEATON RETURNS (or at least in discussion) AS BATMAN

I watched the trailer again but I'm a little confused... Which daylight shot from Burton's Gotham are we talking about?
Aside from the shot of Wayne Manor (which I like compared to the overly bright Batcave), I don't think we saw much more. The rest seems to be Batfleck Gotham, right?

I watched the trailer again but I'm a little confused... Which daylight shot from Burton's Gotham are we talking about?
Aside from the shot of Wayne Manor (which I like compared to the overly bright Batcave), I don't think we saw much more. The rest seems to be Batfleck Gotham, right?
There’s a shot with Flash on top of a roof during day time. He’s on top of Wayne Manor and you can see what’s presumably Gotham in the distance.

There’s a shot with Flash on top of a roof during day time. He’s on top of Wayne Manor and you can see what’s presumably Gotham in the distance.

Oh yeah thank, right at the beginning!
I feel dumb now... :funny:

But yeah, I'm not so much annoyed by the fact of seeing this version of the city in a sunny day (I can guess why we'll see it that way after the foggy version...) as by the quality of the rendering... Of course, the stylization is needed, but it's always that same digital mush we see everywhere in those movies.

I guess and hope the textures will still be improved because for the moment, nothing to me looks palpable in this shot. It's all very artificial and seriously reminds me of that awful looking sequence of Diana in the Greek temple in the Snyder Cut...

Last edited:
wonder if keaton's batman is gonna MURDER bad guys in this like he did in the burton films?

no kill rule don't apply to the batmens in this cinematic universe. burton's or the dceu. :funny:

wonder if keaton's batman is gonna MURDER bad guys in this like he did in the burton films?

no kill rule don't apply to the batmens in this cinematic universe. burton's or the dceu. :funny:
I wouldn’t protest either way due to what has come before.

In the fight against real villains, murder should be inevitable, really. In the real world anyhow.

dc936b6016752b52a213301536b38840afc4e6ff.gif

i hope this film gives a proper send-off for keaton and affleck if this is definitely the last time they are inhabiting their respective batman's.

i hope they don't pull a star trek generations where captain picard meets with captain kirk and then kirk dies like a little punk biiiizzzz.

I will never tire of repeating how, for me, this version's imagery has never been matched since...
Sleak design, perfect lighting, incredible atmosphere... :hmr:

---

For all the reservation I had and still have about The Flash, I was always confident that Keaton would once again fit the role very well. And that's regardless of how the character would have evolved. But I really didn't expect him to be so... perfect.

I don't want to compare versions or start debates, but just to share a thought I had: while it's true that Nolan made obvious his focus on Bruce Wayne/Batman in his trilogy, I sometimes feel that Burton's films are downplayed a bit in this area. Even though there's that rather major deviation on the "no kill" code, the characterization is still largely there and Keaton's Batman feels to me like, probably, the most complete, even "classic", live action version.

And when it comes to the lore, there wasn't much shyness: the big mansion is there, the batcave, the gadgets, an almost definitive batmobile, a batplane, a batboat, etc. Then we saw that Batman fighting gangsters, freaks, and all of that in a visual style that still seems the most "pure" to me. As I said above, things are visually very sophisticated but also straightforward (something I really miss today).
Burton and his team sure brought some novelty and very personal interpretation on some things, but a fair amount also ended up absorbed by the licence in the long run (industrial and gothic Gotham for example).

Coming back to The Flash, this reappearance of the character could now allows him to check another aspects of his comic book counterpart off his list: being an occasional team player and fighting meta-humans and other aliens. Sure, we only got a glimpse of that in the trailer, but it seems to me that this Batman won't be too far from the one we're used to seeing in Justice League stories. The strategic leader of the team, providing some material resources, etc.

Anyway... No matter what this movie ends up being and how people feel about his Batman, what a run for Michael Keaton!

Last edited:
I will never tire of repeating how, for me, this version's imagery has never been matched since...
Sleak design, perfect lighting, incredible atmosphere... :hmr:

---

For all the reservation I had and still have about The Flash, I was always confident that Keaton would once again fit the role very well. And that's regardless of how the character would have evolved. But I really didn't expect him to be so... perfect.

Also, I don't want to compare versions or start debates, but just to share a thought I had: while it's true that Nolan focused a bit more on Bruce Wayne/Batman in his trilogy, I sometimes feel what was really present in Burton's film to be downplaya bit. Even though there's that rather major deviation on the "no kill" code of the character, Keaton's Batman still feels to me like the more complete, even "classic" live action version. To me, the characterization is largely there.

And when it comes to the lore, there wasn't much shyness; the big mansion, the batcave, the gadgets, an almost definitive Batmobile, a batplane, a batboat, etc. Then we saw that Batman fighting gangsters, freaks, and all of that in a visual style that still seems the most "pure" to me. As I said above, things are visually very sophisticated but also straightforward (something I really miss today).
There was sure some novelty and very personal interpretation brought by Burton and his team, but a fair amount ended up absorbed by the licence in the long run (industrial and gothic Gotham for example).

Now, this reappearance of the character in The Flash could allows him to check another aspect of his comic book counterpart off his list by fighting meta-humans and other aliens. Sure, we only got a glimpse of it in the trailer, but it seems to me that this Batman, in action, won't be too far from the one we're used to seeing in Justice League stories. The strategic leader of the team, providing some material resources, etc.

Anyway... No matter what this movie ends up being, what a run for Michael Keaton!

seeing keaton come back as an old batman is probably on par with when sean connery came back to play james bond one last time with nic cage in the rock (if you want to believe the fan theories about the rock :oldrazz:)

Still surreal to see him back in the role. No matter what happens after The Flash... I'm glad we got him back one last time. I mean, this is my ''Chewie... we're home!'' moment.

Losing Kevin Conroy has been awful... so it's nice to see the other Batman of my childhood keeping the signal lit as it were. I loved the Schumacher movies growing up, but there was just something about the Burton movies and B:TAS.

What I'm not crazy about YET:
  • The cowl is OFF. The neck looks too bulky and the mouth opening too small. It looks like its smooshing Keaton's face and giving him a slight Bale from Batman Begins vibe. It looks better in profile. (oh and his nose is not covered)

Yeah, the cowl really bugs me. It's like the cowl version of Cavill's mustache removal. I can't believe this made it through multiple levels of sign-offs.

Keaton just looks derpy, his eyes look a little crossed, the brow isn't angry enough, and the mouth opening is a weak V-shape rather than rectangular or trapezoidal -- the 89 and Returns cowls gave Keaton a superhero jawline. This looks like bad cosplay.

I also understand that lighting creates at least half the aesthetic of the Batman cowl, and bad lighting choices could be what makes this new one look so weird. The additional cowls we see in the closet make it even worse by comparison, since it appears as though they chose the most janky of all the Batman cowls in the room.

I'm okay with a thick neck, but it should've tapered outward, blending into the trap muscles like 89 and Returns. This one is like a vertical tube with bat-ears at the top, giving Keaton a Beaker from The Muppets head shape.

All that said, I'm willing to change my mind with additional footage. But after all the hype and the magic of getting Keaton to reprise the role, I'm disappointed they didn't make a better effort with the costume, especially with full access to the Returns cowl and a Hollywood budget.

Last edited:
I'm debating on grabbing some Keaton merch or not for this movie. If any, I'll grab the McFarlane statue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"