The Amazing Spider-Man Moviehole scoops details on both scripts...

TheScarecrow

Sidekick
Reaction score
Moviehole has details on both scripts.

Basically for SM4:
- Spider-man 4 DID feature Peter and Mary-Jane with a baby.
- Vulturess was added in the script, at the request of the studio.
- Vulturess was a retooled version of Black Cat.
- Vulture was the editor of the Daily Bugle.
- Script was apparently pure crap.
- Raimi had lost hope in the project and walked.
- The studio also wanted to add a third villain.
- Anne Hathaway was gone from the project late last year (my guess is when Sony turned the Black Cat into the Vulturess).

For the reboot:
- The script is much better than the script for Spider-man 4.
- The script IS complete, and was finished at the same time as SM4, allowing the studio to compare the two.
- The script was commissioned as a contingency plan, should Raimi walk.
- Unfortunately, they describe the script as "more Dark Knight than Spider-man".
- The new film is the first part in a new trilogy.
- The aim of the script is to cut the "fluff" - which they speculate means no humour and a serious tone.

http://www.moviehole.net/201022855-caffeinated-clint-my-spider-senses

Last edited:
HHHHHhhhhmm, both have their good and bad points really, definately not convinced by the TDK nature of the re-boot though, they will need to change that as Spidey aint Batman in any way, shape or form.

As much as I don't like this ''More dark knight than Spider-Man" Raimi's Spider-Man 4 did sound disastrous and not just because of the stuff the studio shoe-horned in (Vulturess), but Vulture as the editor of the Daily Bugle? Why? So he can be yet another person close to Peter Parker who turned bad? No thanks.

There ya go. Why anyone would want SM4 to happen, just to keep Raimi and the crew, is beyond me. We dodged a bullet there.

We of course could be witnessing "Our of the frying pan, into the fire", but let's wait until more news comes along, shall we?

Basically for SM4:
- Spider-man 4 DID feature Peter and Mary-Jane with a baby.
- Vulturess was added in the script, at the request of the studio.
- Vulturess was a retooled version of Black Cat.
- Vulture was the editor of the Daily Bugle.
- Script was apparently pure crap.
- Raimi had lost hope in the project and walked.

oh. my. GOSH!! :dry:

oh. my. GOSH!! :dry:
Dodged a bullet. This is what Raimi was going to give you to redeem himself? Do you want him back now?

Let the man go be brilliant on other projects, because he was clearly out of juice when it came to Spidey.

anyone who wants the tone of TDK for a spidey movie hasn't got a clue about the character of spidey.

not. a. CLUE.

I'm hoping the dark and gritty isn't so Dark Knight it over powers the character. You can do dark and gritty Spider-Man but it should only be in certain moments of Peter's life.

If the studio forced Vulturess into the script for S-M4, does this mean that the script for the reboot also contains the Vulturess? (since it's a studio decision)

Did Sony really want Vulturess, or did they want Black Cat and because Raimi didn't, they turned her into Vulturess? Not that it matters, I'm just curious.

Anyway...I'm glad we're not getting Spider-Man 4. Not that I wouldn't want Raimi to make another one, but if they were having the same problems with 3 (Raimi being forced to use Venom) and this time looks like it would have been worse, then I'm happy with a reboot.

If the studio forced Vulturess into the script for S-M4, does this mean that the script for the reboot also contains the Vulturess? (since it's a studio decision)
Probably not. The thing is I bet that the studio wanted Black Cat and Raimi didn't so he created this ''Vulturess" in her place.

Why? Vulture and Black Cat where the two villains Raimi had got the closest to using but never did. Perfect way to finish his script. The article specficially states that Black Cat and The Vulture were in the original script, and the studio got the writers to change it to the Vulturess.

Dodged a bullet. This is what Raimi was going to give you to redeem himself? Do you want him back now?

Let the man go be brilliant on other projects, because he was clearly out of juice when it came to Spidey.

Don't cherry pick points. If you're gonna buy that this source is on the level then that is exactly not what he was going to give us. He walked out.

But from your other posts in this thread I think it's clear you'll only accept the points that make Raimi look bad while you'll discard the rest (or twist them around so they can be blamed on him). Cherry picking.

anyone who wants the tone of TDK for a spidey movie hasn't got a clue about the character of spidey.

not. a. CLUE.

The guy from the articled mentioned TDK, yes, but he said they're losing the fluff. If that means stuff like Peter dancing, or Harry and MJ cooking and dancing (what was up with that? :oldrazz:), then I have no problem with it.

Don't cherry pick points. If you're gonna buy that this source is on the level then that is exactly not what he was going to give us. He walked out.

But from your other posts in this thread I think it's clear you'll only accept the points that make Raimi look bad while you'll discard the rest (or twist them around so they can be blamed on him). Cherry picking.
He did a majority of the ideas himself. The Vulturess was the only thing the studio added. Therefore Raimi's ideas themselves s-u-c-k-e-d. Both were responsible for the suckage that would've been Spider-Man 4. Sony knew what they had on their hands was a turd so they prepared a better back up.

His exact words were that the script was "more The Dark Knight than Spider-man as we know it". Not a good sign.

I can't see them cutting the humor all together. EVERY film in existance has humor somewhere. I think by fluff they mean all the silly stuff like the disco dancing and dancing while cooking.

Wow, very interesting. I do not blame Raimi for walking.

I'm sure the retool of Black Cat was over fear of a Catwoman/ Black Cat comparison if she was indeed in batman3.

I noticed in the original press release that they mentioned Marvel Studios and not just Marvel Enterprises. I wonder if this is any indication that the new Spider-Man will have reference to the Marvel Movieverse. Not holding my breath for a cross over, but I could see an attempt at referencing other Marvel films to show Spider-Man as part of the universe. It would also serve to make Spider-Man more canon as he was in high school when many of the other heroes were already established.

I do not like this whole "Dark Knight" idea. A creative team can easily confuse this and make it a Dark Knight rip off instead of something more true to the comics. I am guessing this might have been the final push that made Raimi walk. To present the two sides of the argument; yes, the Spider-Man mythos has had many dark and serious moments and several arcs that play out like a crime drama but, with respect to Raimi, Spider-Man has also had the opposite side of the spectrum with more fantastic and comical elements. Each interpretation of the character is just as valid as the other and should not be considered any less of a justification of the comic.

If any of you have seen Batman: The Brave and the Bold, the episode: 'Tales of the Dark Mite' illustrates this very, very well.

I am glad they are rebooting instead of continuing. Raimi's arc is done, and unfortunately ended with a whimper instead of a bang. Spider-Man 2 is the goal to meet and beat. I hope the new creative team has the same passion of the character as Raimi did.

PS.

I think it might be offensive to call it Raimi's Spider-Man 4, as he did walk for a reason. He didn't like the story ideas and changes.

Sony's Spider-Man 4 sounds more fitting.

I also feel that, although he is responsible for making it, that Spider-Man 3 was spoiled by Sony judging by the decisions they were making for Spider-Man 4

I'm sure the retool of Black Cat was over fear of a Catwoman/ Black Cat comparison if she was indeed in batman3.

I'm actually thinking Sony was spooked because they had a Spider-man film with The Vulture as the villain, and a super-powerless villain alongside him.

PS.

I think it might be offensive to call it Raimi's Spider-Man 4, as he did walk for a reason. He didn't like the story ideas and changes.

Sony's Spider-Man 4 sounds more fitting.

I also feel that, although he is responsible for making it, that Spider-Man 3 was spoiled by Sony judging by the decisions they were making for Spider-Man 4
No no no no. Raimi doesn't get off so easy. He had the very basis for Spider-Man 4 that Sony added Vulturess into. He is as much responsible for it sucking as Sony. He only saved the franchise by walking away. Now we'll get a reboot that's probably better than 4 would've been. 4 sounded like it would've been the Batman and Robin of Spider-Man had he not walked away.

It should also be pointed out:
- Sam wasn't happy with the script from first draft (Vanderbilts), but Sony was and hired him to use his ideas to spawn the new franchise.
- Sony HAD given the film the greenlight, and the delay and subsequent shelving occured only because Sam kicked up a stink about the script again and how he was promised full creative control (the article says that Sony reminded him he was nothing more than a "hired gun").

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"