The Defenders MVP of the Defenders?

For me the order is :

1. Daredevil(by a lot)
2. Iron Fist(liked him)
3. Luke Cage(okayish, but annoying at times)
4. Jessica Jones(hated her)

Voted for Jess. Her an Matt had great chemistry.

Looking at the poll, no love for Luke so far. I have to ask, what went wrong with him in this?

I couldn't really connect with him either. I thought alot of his lines and delivery were kinda janky and forced.

Can't tell if it's the writing, or the acting.

For me, there's nothing wrong with him. He's good but not zOMG great. It doesn't help too that he has no prior ties to The Hand plot like Matt and Danny. Jessica doesn't either but she had a lot of scene stealing lines and scenes.

Danny, they made him likeable, thought that was impossible after his show.

No love for Luke Cage? I don't hear a lot of talk about his character in the series. Was he that underwhelming?

No love for Luke Cage? I don't hear a lot of talk about his character in the series. Was he that underwhelming?

He was good IMO. He just wasn't standout. He seemed less likely to help anyone outside of Harlem. He didn't want to get involved and he def didn't want to hurt anyone, even the bad guys.

Like Kev said, he just wasn't a standout. I actually liked him a lot more in this series than in his own series. But I simply liked Jessica/Matt more. Danny stood out, but in a bad way to me. He was by far the worst. Luke was kinda middle-of-the-road: enjoyable, but not the MOST enjoyable.

He was good IMO. He just wasn't standout. He seemed less likely to help anyone outside of Harlem. He didn't want to get involved and he def didn't want to hurt anyone, even the bad guys.

Agreed. And in reference to your reply to my original comment, I meant useless in the sense that he didn't really have much to do other than absorb bullets (and trucks). He also didn't have a distinct role on the team.

Matt became the de-facto leader thanks to his depth of knowledge and relatively extensive (compared to the others at least) experience with the Hand.

Danny, like I said, was the McGuffin and was responsible for bringing and holding the team together.

Jessica did what she did best by investigating, instigating, and drinking (not in that order).

Luke did basically nothing compared to everyone else. In fact, he made himself a stumbling block more often than not by either trying to play "Mr. moral compass" by talking the team out of taking action and/or trying to convince people that they were wrong. In fights, he was definitely a good tank, but didn't do as much damage as the rest (save for maybe Jessica). That's why I thought he was sort of useless. Still a good character that I look forward to seeing in his second season though.

Like Kev said, he just wasn't a standout. I actually liked him a lot more in this series than in his own series. But I simply liked Jessica/Matt more. Danny stood out, but in a bad way to me. He was by far the worst. Luke was kinda middle-of-the-road: enjoyable, but not the MOST enjoyable.
Exactly. I kinda liked that about Luke. That he wasn't out for glory. He just wanted to do his thing in Harlem and be left alone by those damn mystic/supernatural stuff he didn't believe in.

Agreed. And in reference to your reply to my original comment, I meant useless in the sense that he didn't really have much to do other than absorb bullets (and trucks). He also didn't have a distinct role on the team.

Matt became the de-facto leader thanks to his depth of knowledge and relatively extensive (compared to the others at least) experience with the Hand.

Danny, like I said, was the McGuffin and was responsible for bringing and holding the team together.

Jessica did what she did best by investigating, instigating, and drinking (not in that order).

Luke did basically nothing compared to everyone else. In fact, he made himself a stumbling block more often than not by either trying to play "Mr. moral compass" by talking the team out of taking action and/or trying to convince people that they were wrong. In fights, he was definitely a good tank, but didn't do as much damage as the rest (save for maybe Jessica). That's why I thought he was sort of useless. Still a good character that I look forward to seeing in his second season though.
If only the budget could have been shown more of Luke going HULK mode on some of the villains.

I was a bit annoyed by his "moral compass" but it was good to have someone have it. It being ironic that it was by the strongest member of the group.

I'm glad they all managed to contribute and none of them disappointed, not even Iron Fist!

Whose suppose to be stronger? Luke or Jessica?

While I liked Jessica the most in this series, I felt like they made her fairly useless power wise while they let Luke do more of the heavy lifting.

While I liked Jessica the most in this series, I felt like they made her fairly useless power wise while they let Luke do more of the heavy lifting.
He scared her in episode 12 of her series, she had to use a shotgun straight to his face to shake him off.

Well... there's that [blackout]elevator scene[/blackout]. :D

MVP was Daredevil by a landslide followed by Luke Cage. Outside of a few snarky comments Jessica didn't have much to do. There were times I forgot she was a superhero too and of course bringing up the rear is the even more annoying Iron Fist.

I did notice they left out her super-leaping/pseudo-flying thing, lol. There was at least one moment where I thought it would have come in handy.

I thought they could have shown a bit more from JJ on the powers front. It might seem strange to someone watching Defenders who hasn't seen JJ's show.

Here's my take on why Luke didn't appear to be as interesting to people. He lacked a strong character arc and sense of purpose within the show. For the most part it was the Daredevil and Iron Fist show with Jessica Jones dropping one-liners. Luke's arcs were first tracking down Sowande and once he did he was simply a team powerhouse. Luke literally had nothing to do but be invincible. And then he managed to make amends with Jessica which mostly dealt with Jessica apologizing to Luke. He simply lacked things to do.

And Jessica needed to use her powers more. She only flew once. It felt like she didn't have powers at all most of the time.

It really is a coin flip between Daredevil and Jessica Jones, which is not that surprising since they also had the best individual shows.

I voted for Jess since Matt was winning the poll, but they are pretty even in my book. Daredevil being the wayward hero worked, and Charlie Cox really settled the grizzled and world weary vibe better than I realized in the group interactions. But Ritter's delivery and disdain for all this mystic crap was great, and a frequently needed boon away from all the Hand stuff, which kind of fell pretty flat. I also thought like Matt, she had the most layers from past encounters affecting her choices and how she interacted with the others.

I'll give them all an award.

Matt: MVP. His story over the first 3 seasons was wrapped up so much more nicely than I could've imagined. They continued to have cool stuff for him to do with his senses and his fighting skills.

Danny: Most improved. His fight scenes in this were better than any in IF S1, his attitude and lines were far better. I even preferred his hair cut in this.

Jess: Most enjoyable to watch. She had the best comedy and dramedy. She was a gem.

Luke: Best team player. lol. honestly though, when he asked about the dragon's molten heart he made me feel a lot better about trying so hard to like Danny. They are gonna be great together in the future.

MVP of The Defenders goes to Sowande. The man got awesome lines when he was tied up. His delivery was downright chilling!

Among the 4 leads, most def Matt.

DD was great as usual but LC and JJ were both good and thoroughly enjoyable as a team. Finn Jones IF is still a problem though, some of the writing doesnt help, having him constantly go on about his Chi, Kun-Lun and forcing him to tell everyone who he is, is getting a little tiresome and old but hopefully he will grow into the roll in time or get better writing, still 3 out of 4 aint bad.

MVP of The Defenders goes to Sowande. The man got awesome lines when he was tied up. His delivery was downright chilling!

Among the 4 leads, most def Matt.

Yes I liked him.

I did notice they left out her super-leaping/pseudo-flying thing, lol. There was at least one moment where I thought it would have come in handy.

That's starting to annoy me. I don't know if it's a budget thing or a creative thing to make her more grounded, but they need to bring her super leap back.

It give's her more purpose. Right now she's just a generic strong character and the already have Luke, so he kinda cancels her out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"