Namco meets Capcom... again

William_C

StylelessKnave
Reaction score
Spotted an article on GameInformer.com today at

http://gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2010/07/19/rumor-namco-vs-capcom-not-one-but-two-games.aspx

Ever since two prominent Namco and Capcom producers appeared at Evo 2010 in Las Vegas just over a week ago, rumors have run wild about a Namco vs. Capcom game. Game Informer has done some digging and found intel that will please Street Fighter and Tekken fans alike.

To catch people up, Namco Bandai's Katsuhiro Harada and Capcom's Yoshinori Ono playfully teased the crowd at the Evo fighting game tournament with some onstage banter (see video below). The most important information concerned a fighting game debut trailer set to go live on Saturday, July 24th during Comic-Con.

According to our sources, Capcom will make a Capcom vs. Namco game using the Street Fighter IV engine and Namco Bandai will create Namco vs. Capcom with the Tekken 6 engine. This means that each game will play and look like whichever company is creating it. Think hadoukens, Ultra Combos, and 2.5D presentation on the Capcom side and three dimensional movement, in-depth move lists, and most likely, a playable panda on the Namco side. Ono is rumored to produce the Capcom game, and we're guessing that Harada will handle the Namco end of things.

Capcom's done its fair share of fighting game crossovers before with companies like Marvel and SNK, but this could be the first time that two totally separate games are produced simultaneously. Be sure to come on back this Saturday to see if our information rings true.
[YT]eHeiWprU0yM[/YT]

Since Namco Bandai have the Rights to the DBZ games... anyone think its possible we could possibly see Goku or Vegeta?

So, wait, according to these sources we're getting two separate fighting games that are basically only differentiated by the fighting engine? Somehow I doubt that's right, but still one will still be cool

Didnt SNK and Capcom do this before with their Vs. Series of games?

No, I don't think so. I know they sometimes switched with each installment (SNK would do the first Capcom vs Snk and Capcom the second, for example), but as far as I'm aware they never released the two titles at the same time like that article seems to imply.

Last edited:
Since Namco Bandai have the Rights to the DBZ games... anyone think its possible we could possibly see Goku or Vegeta?
No, because despite having the licensed rights to Dragonball, Dragonball is still not a Namco-Bandai property. These games are about characters specifically owned by Namco-Bandai and Capcom.

No, because despite having the licensed rights to Dragonball, Dragonball is still not a Namco-Bandai property. These games are about characters specifically owned by Namco-Bandai and Capcom.
Aww Damn :csad:

Not a big Namco guy (Tekken & Soul Calibur are meh to me). But I LOVE Capcom, so I'll check this out if it's on 360 or PS3.

Both games are gonna be great, I always imagined what Ryu would look like if he was placed in Tekken, I'm pretty sure in Capcom vs Namcom, the Tekken characters may have projectiles based on their customizable weapons from Tekken 6

Soul Calibur is one of the best fighting series and one of my favorites. With that said, I cant possible see how that, Tekken 6 and Capcom's games could mesh well.

Street Fighter IV producer Yoshinori Ono had his "Street Fighter IV and Beyond" panel interrupted by Tekken producer Katsuhiro Harada today, with the rival fighting game makers joining together to announce a collaboration, Street Fighter X Tekken.

Street Fighter X Tekken was introduced with a teaser trailer featuring Street Fighter's Ryu facing down Tekken's Jin in a pre-rendered sneak peek featuring Street Fighter IV's sketchy, inky visual style. The game, pronounced "Street Fighter cross Tekken" will be coming to the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

Following the announcement, Ono surprised the crowd by holding up a Blu-ray disc with a copy of the game then provided attendees with a playable demo.

Street Fighter X Tekken appears to play like Street Fighter IV, locked onto a 2D plane, with both Tekken and Street Fighter characters performing EX-style super moves. The match started off with Ryu versus Jin Kazama, but Ono and Harada tagged in two more characters, Street Fighter's Chun-li and Tekken's Nina Williams.

Harada followed that playable match with an announcement of his own, confirming that Tekken X Street Fighter is also in development at Namco. That game is rumored to play in the style of Tekken, with contestants fighting in a 3D arena.

Ono said the games won't be out "for a while" and that fighting game fans should enjoy Marvel vs. Capcom 3 while they wait.

Send an email to Michael McWhertor, the author of this post, at [email protected].

http://kotaku.com/5595524/street-fi...=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+kotaku/full+(Kotaku)

I'll take that 2D Game. Thank you very much. :awesome:

Last edited:
:csad:

Capcom pretty much single-handedly brought fighting games back in vogue, and now I fear they're going to lead the charge in oversaturating the market again and kill the whole genre again in record time.

Pics.

24_sfvstekken05.jpg

24_sfvstekken02.jpg

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2010/jul/24/ono-announcements-comic-con-2010/

I just hope all of the Super Street Fighter characters return. Then again, that would be probably asking for too many characters. Heck, just give me Guy and I don't care who else gets added.

Cool, a little bit unnecessary to have two diffrent version of the game, a 2D and 3D style, since I'm guessing most of the majority will have the 2D version anyway.

I'm actually pretty excited for this, just in case some of my favorites from Capcom don't make it in MvC 3, they may make it in one of these 2 games. Can't wait to see Namco's take on the Capcom characters. They nailed Link on Soul Calibur 2, so that alone tells me that they would do the characters from Capcom justice.

:csad:

Capcom pretty much single-handedly brought fighting games back in vogue, and now I fear they're going to lead the charge in oversaturating the market again and kill the whole genre again in record time.

As long as that means I finally get a Mortal Kombat vs Street Fighter cross-over, then I can deal with it.

:awesome:

Debut Trailer
[YT]i9EpHRdlI3M[/YT]​

As long as Guile gets in I'm buying this bad boy. :D

Now hopefully Capcom will either do SF vs MK or another solo Marvel fighting game.

Am I the only person who doesn't care at all to see a MK/SF crossover?

Anyway, trailer looks solid. I'm still iffy on this two games simultaneously release thing, but I'll probably only check out the Capcom developed one either way

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Holopaxume
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"