Street Fighter VI

Reaction score
Capcom brand manager and producer Yoshinori Ono has stepped down from the company and, in doing so, leaves Street Fighter VI in the midst of its production. Ono worked for over two decades at Capcom and served as a producer on a number of their games, including Street Fighter IV, Street Fighter V and Street Fighter X Tekken. He is widely regarded as the man behind the Street Fighter franchise's revival for his work on Street Fighter IV. As a result of Ono's departure, Street Fighter VI, which was initially slated for a 2021 release date, has been delayed indefinitely.

How the Street Fighter 6 Delay Could Impact 2021 Fighting Games

Ono was out of development long before he resigned. He was demoted earlier this year. What lead to the delay sounds like some bad design decisions requiring scrapping their current work.

"delayed indefinitely" is something you never want to hear or read. So it could be beyond 2021 before a new Street Fighter, which would be years from now

They are adding 4 playable characters for Sfv, three of those won't be available til 2021.

I don't think we will get SFVI until 2023.

I hope Capcom can sort themselves out and turn this into one of the best SF games, and make it great from launch.

They are adding 4 playable characters for Sfv, three of those won't be available til 2021.

I don't think we will get SFVI until 2023.

Five characters. And the decision to go with a new season was made when SFVI had to get delayed. Depending on how much of a mess Ono left, 2022 at the earliest. From what I've heard, it may be less of an engine issue like it was with SFV, and more design wise, which should be easier to course correct.

Haven't played V myself(damn exclusive)but wasn't it recieved well and successful? How bad could development have gotten from V to VI?

Design issues has been mentioned. Was VI going to be an all new direction including art style or what?

Haven't played V myself(damn exclusive)but wasn't it recieved well and successful? How bad could development have gotten from V to VI?

Design issues has been mentioned. Was VI going to be an all new direction including art style or what?

Eventually. The game was essentially released unfinished. As key modes were not even in the game at launch. It was rushed to meet quarterly sales. The kind of stuff that happens when you ditch the old engine that was being worked with, then toss the project to another team who is unfamiliar with the new engine being worked on.

As for VI, the big thing that seems to be getting tossed around is people were not happy with a tag system that was being developed for VI. Whatever was happening, it was enough for Capcom to push Ono out.

Eventually. The game was essentially released unfinished. As key modes were not even in the game at launch. It was rushed to meet quarterly sales. The kind of stuff that happens when you ditch the old engine that was being worked with, then toss the project to another team who is unfamiliar with the new engine being worked on.

As for VI, the big thing that seems to be getting tossed around is people were not happy with a tag system that was being developed for VI. Whatever was happening, it was enough for Capcom to push Ono out.
Tag system like tag in tag out (like Tekken Tag or MvC)? I do kind of like those, trying different team combos.

I mean, yeah, obviously. SF6 likely would have been in 2021 if they didn't have to redo it.

Rumours from insiders are that it will be SF6. Would be hard to top that for me anyway.

Should find out tomorrow in any case, 15 hours left on the countdown!

Its the finale of the Capcom Pro Tour, so yeah, SF 6 is definitely getting announced.

Not a fan of the art style they've been going with.

I was a huge Street Fighter player back in 1990s both at the arcade and home. I have many memories of smoky arcades and bowling alleys and playing against a lot of people older than myself at the time. Street Fighter IV was the last release I played quite a bit when it came out - I didn't own a copy but a friend did on X360. I didn't play online but played 1 on 1 and also against the CPU - which I recall was a cakewalk even on the hardest difficulty levels. I still occasionally play the classics (Street Fighter III 3rd Strike, Street Fighter Alpha 3, Super Street Fighter II Turbo) every now and again.

But it's the style of SF2. Only in 3D.

Capcom Have Confirmed Street Fighter 6 and Revealed a Wide Ryu – GameSpew

Not only does the graphical style of the old games not translate well to 'realistic' three dimension (uncanny valley) but they keep making them wider and wider especially post-SFIII.

They should dial it down.

TYY7Nk4.png

Characters shouldn’t be shaped like SpongeBob Squarepants or a refrigerator.

Kotaku - Game Developers Really Need To Stop Letting Teenage Boys Design Their Characters (2013)

Last edited:
Ryu always looked like that minus the age.

SF2:
images

We can certainly argue if it looks good or not in 3D, but SF always had Hulk-like characters. Always.

Would love it if they officially called him Wide Ryu and also had Standard Ryu. :D

Anyway very happy to get SF6 confirmed.

The logo does look like a mobile app icon with a badge on it. :funny:

Am I the only one who is *far* more excited about the Capcom Fighting Collection? Sure, new Street Fighter is nice, but a combo pack of some of the best fighting games from the 90s, with modern extras, and including the first rerelease ever of several titles? Awesome sauce.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"