Natalie Portman is 'Jackie'

kvz5

HBIC
Staff member
Reaction score
First Look:

http://deadline.com/2015/12/natalie...dy-pablo-larrain-ld-entertainment-1201668054/

natalie-portman-as-jackie.jpg

The voice is the litmus test. She does look like her though.

I always though Jackie was homely, so having beautiful women play her doesn't work for me. Plus, I remember her being way taller than Portman.

This is pretty cool. I remember Rachel weisz was up for this role once.

I wonder if Natalie Portman would want to come back to do a cameo in the new Star Wars flicks?

http://www.indiewire.com/article/na...dy-pablo-larrain-darren-aronofsky-cannes-2016

Natalie Portman’s Kennedy Biopic 'Jackie' Swarmed By Cannes Buyers
Amazon, Netflix, and other major buyers packed the Olympia theater in Cannes Thursday for a seven-minute promo screening of "Jackie," directed by Pablo Larraín ("No"), written by Noah Oppenheim ("The Maze Runner"), and starring Natalie Portman as Jackie Kennedy.

Portman appears to have turned in a remarkably convincing portrayal of the former First Lady, nailing details like her delicate mannerisms and famously breathy voice. The movie has a grainy texture that's reminiscent of the 1960's, and includes actual film clips from 1963, which has the effect of blurring the lines between archival footage and reenactments.

The movie also stars Peter Sarsgaard as Robert Kennedy and Greta Gerwig as a member of the White House staff. Darren Aronofsky, who directed Portman in 2010's "Black Swan," is a producer.

"Jackie" covers a four-day period in the former First Lady's life, beginning just before the assassination of President John F. Kennedy and focusing on the grief-stricken days that followed.

Positioned as a potential awards contender, "Jackie" promises a story that "was never told," according to a tagline included in the promo reel. Wild Bunch’s recently launched sales company Insiders is handling international sales for the movie, while CAA is representing the film for U.S. rights. Judging by the chatter amongst buyers in the theater after the screening, "Jackie" should be one of the hottest titles being shopped at Cannes.

Larraín's latest film "Neruda," about the Nobel Prize-winning Chilean poet Pablo Neruda, will have its premiere at the opening night of Cannes' Director's Fortnight on Friday, May 13. The director's 2012 political drama "No," distributed theatrically in the U.S. by Sony Pictures Classics, earned an Oscar nomination and won Larraín Cannes' Art Cinema Award.

Hmm possible Best Acrtess oscar nomination?

Last edited:
I really would like to check this out.

She looks perfect in the role. After Black Swan, this being her best would be nice. Feels like she is either great or terrible, no in between with Portman.

Hmm possible Best Acrtess oscar nomination?

She is definitely getting one, Fox Searchlight won distribution bid and is gonna replace Birth of a Nation with Jackie as their Oscar contender

I think the discussion now among the pundits is whether she can actually win her 2nd Oscar with this or if it'll go to someone like Stone (La La Land), Adams (Arrival), or Davis (Fences).

I think the discussion now among the pundits is whether she can actually win her 2nd Oscar with this or if it'll go to someone like Stone (La La Land), Adams (Arrival), or Davis (Fences).
Glad to hear that Viola Davis is part of the Oscar conversation.

I really don't like the idea of Portman being 2-time Academy Award winning actress...she is not very talented imho and her off-screen persona I find off-putting. Regardless of my feelings towards her I think given how LLL is probably taking picture Stone may be winning or Davis, especially with the whole OscarsSoWhite thing this year.

I always though Jackie was homely, so having beautiful women play her doesn't work for me. Plus, I remember her being way taller than Portman.

4" difference.

I know this is a late response but having attractive actress portray historical/celebrity people isn't anything new.

Even in the realm of fictional, I think the Girl on Train character that Emily Blunt is playing is suppose to be "homely" and she's interviewed that that's the worse she looked. :huh:

4" difference.

I know this is a late response but having attractive actress portray historical/celebrity people isn't anything new.

Even in the realm of fictional, I think the Girl on Train character that Emily Blunt is playing is suppose to be "homely" and she's interviewed that that's the worse she looked. :huh:
Thats interesting.
I really didn't get a homely vibe from the previews and TV spots.
As for Jackie, it looks good but it screams Oscar Bait.

There seems to be more oscar bait films this year than normal.

I'm disappointed that this isn't Natalie Portman portraying Jackie Chan.

Give it time.

I like the artsy, surreal edge to the trailer, because I think that could work with a film like this. But I'm not so sure about Portman in the lead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"