The Superhero Cinematic Civil War

Not a mod, clearly, and I don't frequent the Bat boards
But I'll say the one area here that I stay farrrr away from is the Star Wars boards

Once told a story about my (normie) mother and gf thinking, after seeing the first ad for Force Awakens, that Rey might be related to Padme because of their clothing styles... innocent enough, they don't follow this s***, and were just making a casual observation... and I was promptly told how stupid my mother and gf were
The Star Wars section got down right miserable. I agree there. Other examples of the X-Men board after X3 and I would off the Spider-Man forums after SM3 and during the canning of SM4 and lead up to TASM were also awful. But the Bat Boards win this dishonor IMO, lol

True, but that was also a very small group lol
It was larger than you'd think. Because it was mainly a bunch of Fox X-Men fans (remember this if off their high point in First Class and DOFP) who hated the MCU coming in to antagonize the actual Fantastic Four fans. So there was a bunch of "it is about time the Fantastic Four grow up from your dumb kiddie comics" type stuff and "Ha ha! Marvel will never get the rights back now!" bragging.

Not a mod, clearly, and I don't frequent the Bat boards
But I'll say the one area here that I stay farrrr away from is the Star Wars boards

Once told a story about my (normie) mother and gf thinking, after seeing the first ad for Force Awakens, that Rey might be related to Padme because of their clothing styles... innocent enough, they don't follow this s***, and were just making a casual observation... and I was promptly told how stupid my mother and gf were
Whoever told you that about your mom and gf was an idiot. Rey being related to Padme wasn't even all that uncommon of a theory back then because Daisy Ridley kind of resembles Natalie Portman.

The first Amazing Spider-Man was another bad one as you had people who thought it was dumb to reboot and retell the origin story again just a decade after Raimi did it and those that hated Raimi (mainly due to organic webshooters and that Maguire wasn't quippy enough) accusing the former of being closed minded.

And then the early reviews came out, and when they weren't overwhelmingly positive the anti-Raimi folks completely flipped and started attacking the reviewers and leakers as liars.

And yet again, it is trending at #1 on Twitter.

View attachment 90643
If they can maintain quality and plan to keep this going a good number of seasons it could be a great shot in the arm for X-Men multimedia as more people catch up on it and word gets out further. I'm really happy to see an X-Men product succeed while giving good moments to varying team members and without needing to rely on Wolverine alone.

In my experience, the Bat Boards have been the worst place in general. We can argue if the Nolan or Snyder fans were worse historically on here, but let's be real: both periods were bad. It's why I don't regularly post about DC outside of in here. The discourse quality just wasn't worth it to me lol
I'm still not certain to this day if the poster who made the thread, "did TDK usher in Obama as President" was being serious or not. The Nolan crazies did not isolate themselves to the Bat Boards.

The first Amazing Spider-Man was another bad one as you had people who thought it was dumb to reboot and retell the origin story again just a decade after Raimi did it and those that hated Raimi (mainly due to organic webshooters and that Maguire wasn't quippy enough) accusing the former of being closed minded.

And then the early reviews came out, and when they weren't overwhelmingly positive the anti-Raimi folks completely flipped and started attacking the reviewers and leakers as liars.
That's one of those things that I really can't remember at all because it felt like TASM was so overshadowed by being right in between The Avengers and TDKR.

1715958132697.png

I wasn't a mod then, but my worst experience on here was on the Fant4stic board. Some fans of that during production would go after anyone who had anything negative to say about how it looked like it was turning out.

I had a different experience and loved the back and forth on the Fan4stic boards. There was some quite aggressive discussions between the MCU stans and the FOX Men loyalists, but the board was moderated expertly (by Kelly I believe) who let folks get into it while putting the clamps down when things got heated.

We debated topics, such as the race of Johnny Storm’s actor, that would never be allowed in the current environment. And there was some fascinating intel provided by posters regarding court cases, annual reports and producer interviews to determine what exactly Fox could and couldn’t do with the characters. The lead up and fallout to FFINO was one of my favorite times on the Hype.

To be fair, we've also never gotten the "real" (or at least the most well-known version of) Lex Luthor on the big screen at all. With the way Gunn writes villains and having an actor like Hoult in the role, I suspect we're actually going to actually have a Lex on screen we enjoy watching. And I feel I can confidently say his big evil plot won't be a real-estate scam. :o

There definitely IS another big threat in this movie besides Lex, though. Brainiac? Ultraman/Bizarro? Who knows. But it's there.
Exactly. I haven't got anything close to the Lex I want on the big screen yet so he's a must. He can be a long term ever-present character so there can be other important villains carrying the film-by-film threat. Brainiac needs to be head of the queue on that front.

Whoever told you that about your mom and gf was an idiot. Rey being related to Padme wasn't even all that uncommon of a theory back then because Daisy Ridley kind of resembles Natalie Portman.
yeah he was an a**
a former member I butted heads with many times... some of y'all may be able to guess who lol

yeah he was an a**
a former member I butted heads with many times... some of y'all may be able to guess who lol
200w.gif

On the subject of Superman Returns, the only thing I can say about that movie is that Kevin Spacey is still undefeated in the role of live action Lex.

From what we heard, obviously that role wasn't a stretch for him.
I don't agree. I take each of the Lex's in Lois and Clark, Smallville, and Supergirl above him.

Spacey's Lex wanted to own the world, but the world wouldn't let him keep that big iceberg, and anyway there's not much of a world to rule of you kill everybody.

On the subject of Superman Returns, the only thing I can say about that movie is that Kevin Spacey is still undefeated in the role of live action Lex.

From what we heard, obviously that role wasn't a stretch for him.
Strictly talking movies and leaving TV out of it, Spacey is still the best Lex but only by default. Hackman was good in the role but his Lex was too campy and Eisenberg's Lex was offensively terrible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"