Superhero Cinematic Civil War - Part 56

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't get me wrong... I do see inklings of Cavill/Snyder's Superman performance with Brie Larson in there... and honestly, how do you make Carol Danvers a character you own like Robert Downey Jr. with Iron Man or Ben Affleck as Batman? I mean it took Chris Evan What?--- one movie and a team-up to get going... it took Chris Hemsworth two movies and multiple appearances to really get a good feel for the character. It's not easy. Even Man of Steel, I got a vague sense of Superman in there as well... but it never really appeared to me to be the quintessential Superman. And Cavill's one charming-ass dude! Loved him in The Tudors!

Yeah I get your point there. Sometimes they need a few appearances to get the feel. Guess that's why guys like Reeve, Downey Jr, etc are so good because they nailed it from the word go.

Personally, I got Superman vibes from Cavill from the very second he was screen.

Me too man

Cavill I think had the look for Superman, but he was never allowed to portray Superman adequately. Snyder's direction didn't allow it, though. Mainly he had him stand around and let the Superman suit do the talking.

Cavill I think had the look for Superman, but he was never allowed to portray Superman adequately. Snyder's direction didn't allow it, though. Mainly he had him stand around and let the Superman suit do the talking.
Agreed, and I'm someone who was championing him for the role, too. I maintain that he COULD'VE been a great Superman. The material just never gave him a chance, imo.

I doubt we’ll see someone who looks more perfect for Superman than Cavill any time soon.

One observation I have to say - that does NOT apply to everyone critical of Brie, for the record, but just something I'm seeing here and elsewhere - is that SOME of those critical of Brie are also those not too familiar with or interested in Carol as a character? Like, over the last few years in the comics (the ones they're using as primary inspiration for the movie), she's been a very snarky, sardonic character. She's not the type to look "happy to be here." I'm not saying this is everyone's issue - you don't like her line deliveries, you don't like them and that's fine - but it seems like most of the people who are genuinely fans of the recent Captain Marvel comics are pretty happy with what they're seeing, so maybe some folks' issues with this are that the character is simply not what they were expecting or hoping for. Carol's not such a cuddly character as, say, Wonder Woman. She's not so instantly charismatic or earnest. She's...prickly, to say the least.

Because honestly, as someone who's been a fan of the Captain Marvel iteration of the character since I first read Kelly Sue Deconnick's first issue - Brie is embodying her quite well, imo.

I'm trying to be careful. I don't want my criticisms to seem like "she should smile more". And I hope that it isn't unconsciously affecting my views.

But based on the first trailer, I am not totally convinced of their direction with the character.

I'll be brutally honest, I don't read CM as a comic or have little experience or interest in her as a character, all I'm going on, is her delivery and emotion within the lines she's delivering and verbalising in that trailer, all without any emotion, passion or belief or capacity to 'sell the story or it's concept'. To me, she's 'failing' her job.

Now as Flick is saying, that all may tie in with her page to screen adaption and if she is supposed to come off as being 'bored & flat' as Carol, then yes, she's portraying the character on screen as on page correctly.

I'll be brutally honest, I don't read CM as a comic or have little experience or interest in her as a character, all I'm going on, is her delivery and emotion within the lines she's delivering and verbalising in that trailer, all without any emotion, passion or belief or capacity to 'sell the story or it's concept'. To me, she's 'failing' her job.

Now as Flick is saying, that all may tie in with her page to screen adaption and if she is supposed to come off as being 'bored & flat' as Carol, then yes, she's portraying the character on screen as on page correctly.

See, based on the first trailer, that is the story they are pushing.

The thing with Larson, we quite clearly see her being brainwashed and messed with mentally in the trailers, so from what I have seen of her performance so far, it reflects that. So e of her lines pretty much confirm the brain washing as well, so until we see more I personally don’t see how she can be judged in the whole movie.

We’ve seen so little of her that I don’t feel like judging either way yet. I don’t love what she’s doing because I have no real idea what she’s doing, and that isn’t a bad thing. Theyre clearly playing it pretty close to the vest here given the proximity to End Game.

Agreed, and I'm someone who was championing him for the role, too. I maintain that he COULD'VE been a great Superman. The material just never gave him a chance, imo.
He got a raw deal. Irrespective of how (poorly) the character was portrayed, they short-changed him almost right of the gate for Batman, Wonder Woman, and others.

One observation I have to say - that does NOT apply to everyone critical of Brie, for the record, but just something I'm seeing here and elsewhere - is that SOME of those critical of Brie are also those not too familiar with or interested in Carol as a character? Like, over the last few years in the comics (the ones they're using as primary inspiration for the movie), she's been a very snarky, sardonic character. She's not the type to look "happy to be here." I'm not saying this is everyone's issue - you don't like her line deliveries, you don't like them and that's fine - but it seems like most of the people who are genuinely fans of the recent Captain Marvel comics are pretty happy with what they're seeing, so maybe some folks' issues with this are that the character is simply not what they were expecting or hoping for. Carol's not such a cuddly character as, say, Wonder Woman. She's not so instantly charismatic or earnest. She's...prickly, to say the least.

Because honestly, as someone who's been a fan of the Captain Marvel iteration of the character since I first read Kelly Sue Deconnick's first issue - Brie is embodying her quite well, imo.

That's basically it, in my case. After the last trailer, I didn't describe my issue in terms of Brie's acting performance, I just didn't like how Carol was coming off, both in the modern scenes and the flashbacks from before the Kree. This "special look" only reinforces it. I don't find her likeable or appealing. That may well be how she is in the comics, but it's hard to know what to think just going off of other people's descriptions of comic Carol, and sometimes a character can work in one version but not another version without being fundamentally changed. And sometimes characters do change in adaptations, like Tony Stark being all quippy. So it wasn't like I could see "Carol is cocky" or "Carol is sarcastic" and immediately know it would be an issue.

I mean, I don't like Bruce Banner in the MCU, I do like Dustin from Stranger Things, but it would be a struggle to explain the difference in their personalities/mannerisms, especially so that someone who hadn't seen them could use my descriptions to figure out if they would like those characters.

Agreed. I have been a fan of the character for a long time as an Avengers reader, and I like what I am seeing so far. I don't see Blake Lively in GL or some of what people are suggesting, I feel like I see Carol's personality. Especially in the latest trailer. I could agree the 1st trailer especially didn't showcase Carol's personality at all, but now that we're getting more of a flavor for it, it feels true to the Carol Danvers I know.

I didn't have any expectations for the character, but I had expectations for the performance, knowing what Larson can do acting-wise. Is Carol Danvers the first prickly superhero? I mean, Iron Man is an *******. But you can't look away from RDJ. Brie comes off as awkward, unpleasant and low-energy so far. Perhaps you need a super-charismatic actor to pull off prickly/******* roles.

Also, about Wonder Woman. The first Wonder Woman thing I read was Azzarrello's run in New 52 and he sold her to me right away. She's not cuddly there at all. Much more stoic and mature than in any Snyderverse film. Which I really loved (it also ruined slightly WW in her solo for me, because she felt a bit too cuddly and naive). So it's not that, really.

I don't remember being unimpressed or feel that Gal Gadot was disinterested in the role when I saw Wonder Woman's trailers, I think the multiple posts comparing her acting to sandpaper and cardboard played its part in making me believe this was her normal acting chops.

And BvS shattered me.

No doubt, I got chills from him--when seeing the production shots of him in front of the busted vault or something like that...

I remember the first time I saw MOS. The first time Cavill appears in the suit - chills, it's like Superman walked off the page of a comic.

I didn't have any expectations for the character, but I had expectations for the performance, knowing what Larson can do acting-wise. Is Carol Danvers the first prickly superhero? I mean, Iron Man is an *******. But you can't look away from RDJ. Brie comes off as awkward, unpleasant and low-energy so far. Perhaps you need a super-charismatic actor to pull off prickly/******* roles.

Also, about Wonder Woman. The first Wonder Woman thing I read was Azzarrello's run in New 52 and he sold her to me right away. She's not cuddly there at all. Much more stoic and mature than in any Snyderverse film. Which I really loved (it also ruined slightly WW in her solo for me, because she felt a bit too cuddly and naive). So it's not that, really.
That’s why I said for some, not all. :)

The thing with Larson, we quite clearly see her being brainwashed and messed with mentally in the trailers, so from what I have seen of her performance so far, it reflects that. So e of her lines pretty much confirm the brain washing as well, so until we see more I personally don’t see how she can be judged in the whole movie.

Yeah, I was going to say that. The Kree are clearly wiping her memory so they can use her as a tool of war. Brie was talking about how the Kree are emotionally cold as a species, too, and it looks like Carol might be part Kree, so...
Looks to me like a big story point for the film is Carol having to rediscover her humanity and break from the Kree brainwashing.

You can be a prickly character and have some type of likeable personality, or at the very least show the potential for growth to become a better person. The Dr Strange trailers emphasised this, that he was this arse hole-ish character who went through a transformation to become a better version of himself. The issue with the trailers is she just doesn't come across as likeable nor is there any real sense of her journey. As someone else mentioned, she comes across as disinterested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"