Superhero Cinematic Civil War - Part 58

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Avengers were all there. Right over there. Just to the left. If you could turn, you could see them, but you can't so instead just trust me that they're camera shy and just standing a little over that way.

Just like I’m sure mutants were always there in the MCU. We just had to squint.

LOL so even HE'S sick of slapstick Thor now? After going on about how Thor was too serious before Waititi?
I kind of hope it means that. I loved Ragnarok and also enjoyed L&T (and also find Waititi a blast in general), but the late IW Thor is my favourite they’ve done with Thor so far and I’d love to see a film with that tone for Thor.

I had the exact same thought about Stark. :funny:

I can understand why Tony got that treatment.

From an in universe standpoint, Tony was the guy who ultimately scored the winning touchdown that killed Thanos and his army, and saved the universe. He also died because of it.

From a meta standpoint, Tony was the guy who kicked off the MCU, and was the most popular character throughout the Infinity Saga.

It was mentioned that T'Challa should treated with the same energy, but...why? From an in universe standpoint, T'Challa never pulled off what Tony did in Endgame.

From a Meta standpoint, T'Challa is a great character, but he never ushered in a cinematic universe. He mainly played a supporting role in his team up film appearances. A common opinion about his one solo film appearance was that he was overshadowed by both his main villain and supporting cast. To my knowledge, no one's said that about Tony in any of his three solo movies.

All that considered, what we got was fitting, IMO.

Last edited:
It’s kind of a weird thing. On one hand, it would have been nice to see some of the other heroes at the funeral, at least the ones that worked closely with T’Challa and the Wakandans (old Steve, Bucky, Sam, etc.). On the other hand, I worry that it would have cheapened the whole scene if it wasn’t handled well. By keeping it a Wakanda-only thing, it feels more personal and the audience isn’t sitting there going, “Oh look, there’s Cap and Bucky and Thor and Star-Lord and…” I know that Tony’s funeral had a bunch of heroes there but that was in a movie that featured the whole of the Marvel universe so it would have been way more jarring if they weren’t there.

I kind of hope it means that. I loved Ragnarok and also enjoyed L&T (and also find Waititi a blast in general), but the late IW Thor is my favourite they’ve done with Thor so far and I’d love to see a film with that tone for Thor.

You know believe it or not my FAVORITE iteration of Thor thus far was Viking Thor at the end of Endgame. Dual hammer wielding braided bearded badass Viking Thor is something i want more of, please.

It’s kind of a weird thing. On one hand, it would have been nice to see some of the other heroes at the funeral, at least the ones that worked closely with T’Challa and the Wakandans (old Steve, Bucky, Sam, etc.). On the other hand, I worry that it would have cheapened the whole scene if it wasn’t handled well. By keeping it a Wakanda-only thing, it feels more personal and the audience isn’t sitting there going, “Oh look, there’s Cap and Bucky and Thor and Star-Lord and…” I know that Tony’s funeral had a bunch of heroes there but that was in a movie that featured the whole of the Marvel universe so it would have been way more jarring if they weren’t there.

Definitely. And also the Endgame funeral was all the way at the end of the movie, rather than setting the tone for the movie.

I suspect it was likely Coogler’s choice to keep T’Challa’s funeral to Wakandans only. Like Deck Rickard said, it made it feel more personal. I mean, he actually had Ross - who probably had more of a relationship with T’Challa than any of the Avengers did - in this movie, and still chose not to show him at the funeral either.

You know believe it or not my FAVORITE iteration of Thor thus far was Viking Thor at the end of Endgame. Dual hammer wielding braided bearded badass Viking Thor is something i want more of, please.

You know, I think the last two Avengers movies might have been the films that handled Thor the best. He wasn’t quite as jokey or stupid as Taika sometimes makes him, but also wasn’t as self-serious as he was in his earlier appearances. Though I would probably say I preferred him more in IW and prior to the five-year gap than pot-bellied Lebowski Thor. While I still liked a lot of what they did with him in Endgame, I still can’t quite get down with using weight gain for humor. It’s part of why I don’t like the movie WALL-E either. I know that in both of those cases, they aren’t just simply making fat jokes but it still kinda feels like they are.

Honestly, say what you will about Love & Thunder and its many missteps,
But I thought that was Hemsworth's best performance yet, just above his excellent IW Thor for me

He had humor and didn't take himself overly seriously, but he also showed geniune depth and emotion about the Jane situation, a wonderful feeling of acceptance in the final scene with Gorr, played up the love triangle between the hammer and the axe in a hilariously straight-faced way, and ended as a loving dad (granted, not a reach when acting opposite your own daughter)...

But idk, It's easy to get distracted by bad VFX and some poor one-liners and Russel Crowe's accent and think the whole movie was a giant goof, but Hemsworth showed some f***in' range

I suspect it was likely Coogler’s choice to keep T’Challa’s funeral to Wakandans only. Like Deck Rickard said, it made it feel more personal. I mean, he actually had Ross - who probably had more of a relationship with T’Challa than any of the Avengers did - in this movie, and still chose not to show him at the funeral either.

I also think it let the funeral be about what it was intended about and not the audience going "Oh hey look, there's Character X!"

It is the same reason why I was always skeptical of the Doctor Doom post-credit claims. Coogler wasn't gonna make the last thought people had coming away from the movie "Wow, I can't wait to see what Doom has planned for the Avengers!"

Given the celebration, the Wakandan character's relationships with the outside world, and the living Avengers character's relationships with T'Challa, I can believe none of the Avengers would've been invited. Just alerted. I mean the only one who probably had a serious relationship with him was probably Bucky.

The only thing I found weird was where the dialogue placed the T'Challa's death in the timeline. I know the MCU timeline is a hodgepodge of nonsense, but it was weird to imply that T'Challa died within like months of the Blip.

I guess it runs consistent with him getting bored with the role post AOU and wanting to do something a little different with it. Which, I understand. I'm sure he enjoys the role (and the money), but wants to keep things fresh every once in awhile to make sure things aren't always monotonous.

I think the next Thor movie will be Hemworth’s last and it will conclude with him joining Jane in Valhalla. In fact, I’ll bet like a million bucks that “Valhalla” will be in the title since every Norse-inspired movie, TV or video game franchise has an installment named Valhalla or Ragnarok (or both).

I think the next Thor movie will be Hemworth’s last and it will conclude with him joining Jane in Valhalla. In fact, I’ll bet like a million bucks that “Valhalla” will be in the title since every Norse-inspired movie, TV or video game franchise has an installment named Valhalla or Ragnarok (or both).
Yeah, I don't think Jane is staying in Valhalla.

I like that James is trying to be interactive with the fans but yes, i agree, he does not need to respond to every single troll.

I like that James is trying to be interactive with the fans but yes, i agree, he does not need to respond to every single troll.
Yeah, because James Gunn being interactive has never got him in trouble in the past...

This isn't being interactive. This is someone trying to feed his ego, who has too thin of skin to interact with people who down fawn over him. That post he responded to had exactly one like. And how did he respond? Like an ******* gatekeeper, telling someone to ask nice and then maybe they'll get what they want.

Also getting lessons in how to behave from James Gunn is... special.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back