Official Batman Titles thread 2.0 - - - - - - - Part 16

I really liked eternal, but hated batman and robin eternal.

I really liked eternal, but hated batman and robin eternal.

Same, I think B&R eternal had a little I enjoyed. I enjoyed getting more Harper. And seeing a bit more of Dick as Robin with Batman in the past. But yeah other than that I just didn't really care for it. I prefer Eternal.

in Eternal, there was a real sense of mystery, you were fearing the incoming threat. I never got that with batman and robin eternal.

Surprisingly, I think I enjoyed B&R Eternal more than Batman Eternal. BE started amazingly but dragged on WAY too much... and while I liked the reveal of who planned it all, I hated the reveal of who was behind THAT person. It just came out of no where. If they could have gotten rid of the fat (Spectre anyone?) and cut it down to maybe 26 or so issues, it would have been awesome.

In B&R Eternal, I liked the focus on the "other guys" in stead of just Batman. I loved the Mother story line and the new/returning characters that were introduced. I just felt that it was better put together.

That's one thing I didn't enjoy too much in Eternal was the side story with Batwing and Spectre.

I've heard the Azrael was re-introduced in Eternal. Is it Jean Paul?

Batman#51 just proved me to that DC's golden boys like Johns and Snyder are immune to editorial oversight. For one Snyder locked up Bane and Ivy in Arkham even though Bane is currently in Santa Prisca and Ivy is going through a reformation phase in her solo series. Secondly he just ignored his own status quo, Gordon already has a mustache and is back to being Commishiner while Alfred used "magic" stitch to get his hand back. Finally Snyder presented a five year timeline between Batman #1 and Batman #51 even though we all know that Dick, Babs, Damian ect have not aged by 5 years.

I'm glad Snyder's gone now, maybe we'll finally get a writer with some courage, someone who doesn't make mindless changes and then reverts them shortly because he didn't have the guts to make something out of those changes. Lincoln March, Bruce's death...no it's amnesia, nah it's not amnesia whatever and GordonBat already feel like they happened a decade ago.

Yeah, that 5-year line bothered me. Just like it did when he said Joker was gone for a full year after having his face cut off.

I never get too upset with the "this character did this but in another book he's doing this" stuff. You're only ever going to read those stories at the same time once.

Isn't there also a discrepancy in Harper Row's origins? IIRC, she already lost her mom and taking care of her brother during Zero Year? But it's revealed in BRE that she didn't lose her mom until Batman was already fully in his crime fighting career with his first Robin. Or am I remembering this wrong?

Last edited:

Nice. He loses a lot of his luster when you realize that he was never a failed Batman, but I like him for some stupid reason so I'm glad to see him back.

Sigh. Knightfall never happening seems to have demoted Bane to chump-status, too.

Isn't there also a discrepancy in Harper Row's origins? IIRC, she already lost her mom and taking care of her brother during Zero Year? But it's revealed in BRE that she didn't lose her mom until Batman was already fully in his crime fighting career with his first Robin. Or am I remembering this wrong?

I know it showed her with her brother, but I don't think it really touched on whether her mom was alive or not.

Sean Gordon Murphy will be DC exclusive for the next two years. Will draw the All-Star Batman finale and will do an Elseworlds Batman story right after:
https://twitter.com/Sean_G_Murphy/status/764609884205813760
https://twitter.com/Sean_G_Murphy/status/764610049989894146

I love his art. He's also a decent writer (Punk Rock Jesus) so I'm really looking forward to his Elseworlds story.

Speaking of ASB, I enjoyed the first issue. Even JRJR's art was good, though I didn't like that he gave Harvey long'ish hair. The backup story was also interesting and definitely had a better artwork.

Gone over ASB very fast...and it was weird and i didnt like it on my first read.

The Art ist a bit wonky, two face looks more like a imposter.
But the writing is what really throws me off.

I dont know if that was his intention, but snyders ASB comes off as what you would assosciate with ASB.
Very unlikeable, i almost want to say that he was an *******.
Snyder can do better, so i assume he wants to stay in line with what people know about ASB.

And i know that Snyder loves to create and use his own sidekicks, but the way he did it here is a petty move.
As if Bruce completely hates the idea of robin and wants them as far away as possible.

Eh, i need to read over it again a couple of times...but so far im not impressed with ASB.

Gone over ASB very fast...and it was weird and i didnt like it on my first read.

The Art ist a bit wonky, two face looks more like a imposter.
But the writing is what really throws me off.

I dont know if that was his intention, but snyders ASB comes off as what you would assosciate with ASB.
Very unlikeable, i almost want to say that he was an *******.
Snyder can do better, so i assume he wants to stay in line with what people know about ASB.

And i know that Snyder loves to create and use his own sidekicks, but the way he did it here is a petty move.
As if Bruce completely hates the idea of robin and wants them as far away as possible.

Eh, i need to read over it again a couple of times...but so far im not impressed with ASB.

Agreed on all counts. It was a confusing read. And seems disrespectful to Robin and the Robins of days past.

Question from current Batman Rebirth: what are they referring to about Catwoman killing 231 people? I don't remember this event.

It's an addition to her backstory by Tom King. Apparently, she now grew up in a Wayne Family Orphanage that a new group of terrorists blew up. So she killed them all.

It's a... Controversial direction for the character.

It's an addition to her backstory by Tom King. Apparently, she now grew up in a Wayne Family Orphanage that a new group of terrorists blew up. So she killed them all.

It's a... Controversial direction for the character.

Thanks. I hadn't seen that. I was aware of the orphanage from the "election night" one shot but not the terrorist part. I'm not really feeling it at all. Catwoman is definitely a character that when done right is superb, but is all too often done poorly.

Btw. Love your signature.

This feels like a cash grab more than an actual follow up to The Long Halloween and Dark Victory

Did you end up reading this? Wasn't sure it was worth it and figured there was be cheap copies sooner or later.

I did it's a subpar follow up and not that good. Basically Calander Man seek revenge on the Holiday killer, for stealing his gimmick by commenting crimes on famous Holidays.

I did it's a subpar follow up and not that good. Basically Calander Man seek revenge on the Holiday killer, for stealing his gimmick by commenting crimes on famous Holidays.

That's unfortunate. I had to miss out on Fan Expo this past weekend anyways, which is where I was gonna look for it. Not in any rush for it now I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"