Official UFC Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought Vera did good in the guard in Rd. 1 and it should've been stood up. TBH, it should've been stood up by the ref many times in the whole fight. Silva was frustrated at Vera for not fighting back; well, he couldn't finish Vera either.

Also surprised at Silva for not standing with Vera; was he afraid of Vera's striking?

I've given up on Vera, and it's been a while now since I've had faith that he would put it together. On paper he should be one of the best pound for pound fighters in MMA, but he doesn't have the drive to be a top fighter. He makes far too many excuses, and he doesn't really fight unless he has to. He just mails it in. Thiago may have acted like an ass after round 1 by getting in his face, but the whole drum thing was just mocking a guy refusing to fight.

Vera is cocky. That is all there is to it. He needs to change his style. I've told all my friends this, that are fans of his. How he puts his hands down and tries to make you flinch. Its just annoying. I knew he'd get taken out, if he kept that up, and look where it has brought him. I've heard that he has awesome MT, wrestling and jiu-jitsu, but where is it?! He reminds me of fighters at this gym here. They are all awesome in the gym, but when they get to that cage, they choke.

You know what would have been funny? If the ref had interpreted Silva's bongo playing as a tap.

:D

What the balls?

Chael's been suspended due to pleading guilty to money laundering. Way to go, Chael.

[facepalm]

Chael's had one of the highest falls in a long time. He went from resurrecting his career and becoming an elite fighter at middleweight to looking like he may never fight again if he gets incarcerated. It's sad when you think about it.

Yeah, I don't think we'll be seeing much from Sonnen in the near future.

Guys, he's probably not going to prison. The transaction was like 60k-70k. He's probably going to get probation for a couple years.

Yeah, considering he's 33 this will affect his fighting career, but it's not a nail in the coffin by any means.

**** him. He's a typical republican *******. Corrupt as the day is long.

Thanx. It's been a while
Did anyone catch any of Dynamite? Fernandes/Takaya's ending made me tear up as I have a similar relationship with my dad.

Also, lol @ Aoki.
Yeah. He never shoulda signed up for that fight if he was just gonna waste time &run in the "K1" round. Ironic and awesome that he paid 4it in the MMA round.

You know, i've been thinking that the guys who have no ground game whatsoever should learn catch instead of BJJ. I haven't trained catch, but from what I understand there is more of an approach to a lot of activity in going for subs. I've hear that catch guys are the opposite of the BJJ mantra of position before submission. That would probably benefit guys more who just lay there on their backs and wait for a ref standup. They should be going for subs to threaten the guy on top so that they have a better chance of getting off their backs. I know if I dreaded being on my back I'd be fighting like crazy to get back to my feet instead of just holding on and then complaining after the fight.

Strikeforce Fedor vs. Silva Main Card To Be All Heavyweights in New Jersey
Before the ink dried on a new contract with Fedor Emelianenko, Strikeforce announced his and most of its heavyweight roster’s next fights. Fedor and most of the other heavyweights under contract with the San Jose, Calif.-based promotion are slated to compete in the first Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix.

The eight-man tournament kicks off Feb. 12 in New Jersey, and is expected to play out over the next eight months or so, Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker told MMAWeekly.com on Wednesday.

The first two quarterfinal bouts and two alternate bouts will fill the main card at the IZOD Center on Feb. 12 in East Rutherford and air on Showtime.

“The Feb. 12 event at the IZOD Center is going to be an all-heavyweight event,” Coker revealed. “It’ll be a lot of fun. We’ll have some big guys in the cage and when you have heavyweights, there’s always a lot of action.”

Laying out the fight card, Coker said that, as expected, quarterfinal bouts featuring Fedor against Antonio “Bigfoot” Silva and Andrei Arlovski vs. Sergei Kharitonov would head the card.

He added that he first alternate bout would feature top heavyweight prospects Shane Del Rosario and Lavar Johnson. The winner between the two will be deemed the first alternate if one of the bracketed fighters is unable to move on in the tournament.

A second alternate bout will pit Strikeforce champion Alistair Overeem’s brother, Valentijn, against K-1 standout Ray Sefo.

The other two quarterfinal bouts – pitting champion Alistair Overeem against Fabricio Werdum and Josh Barnett against Brett Rogers – will take place at an undetermined fight card in April, skipping the promotion’s March 5 event in Columbus, Ohio.

He also noted that there are other heavyweights, such as Daniel Cormier, who faces Devin Cole at Friday night’s Strikeforce Challengers 13 in Nashville, that could step up for the tournament if necessary.

“It’s gonna be a great time not only for fight fans,” extolled Coker, “But for mixed martial arts as an industry.”

This sounds ****ing awesome. I can't wait!!!!

You know, i've been thinking that the guys who have no ground game whatsoever should learn catch instead of BJJ. I haven't trained catch, but from what I understand there is more of an approach to a lot of activity in going for subs. I've hear that catch guys are the opposite of the BJJ mantra of position before submission. That would probably benefit guys more who just lay there on their backs and wait for a ref standup. They should be going for subs to threaten the guy on top so that they have a better chance of getting off their backs. I know if I dreaded being on my back I'd be fighting like crazy to get back to my feet instead of just holding on and then complaining after the fight.

242ztw9.jpg

:D

that wasn't meant to start a gif battle...but cool stories, bros

Looking at: Roy Nelson vs. Frank Mir; Rampage vs. Thiago Silva.

Also, Sexyama will be fighting Marquardt now instead of Chael, or so mmajunkie is reporting. That should be an easy win for Sexyama, unless Nate has actually remembered how to fight.

How is Nate an easy win for Akiyama? On paper it's a bad matchup for him because Nate is bigger and better at nearly everything than him. I don't think that Akiyama will outgrapple or outstrike Nate. He's going to get tagged really hard a lot.

I was very surprised at the 14 second (?) knock out of the female bout (can't think of their names right now) on Strikeforce last night. The girl that lost, i saw her fight before, and knew she was a beast but, man......

How is Nate an easy win for Akiyama? On paper it's a bad matchup for him because Nate is bigger and better at nearly everything than him. I don't think that Akiyama will outgrapple or outstrike Nate. He's going to get tagged really hard a lot.
Because Nate hasn't looked good since, what, 2008? And Akiyama proved his worth with a wonderful slugfest against Leben? (No, I do not consider Nate's knockout of Maia him looking good.)

I like Marquardt, but he needs to learn to put it all together again. He got showed up in wrestling by Sonnen, couldn't outwrestle Okami, and couldn't outstrike Okami. He was getting outstruck by Palhares, and that fight wouldn't have gone well for him had he not slipped out of the lock. He's looked like absolute junk in his last outings, and that's a long fall from how he used to perform.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"