Official UFC Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So...bit of a lull period but pretty good UFN card coming up with Strikeforce having a couple title bouts after that.

Fight for the Troops 2 should be as good as the first one. I really wish that Florian wasn't hurt so that he could face Dunham, but Guillard is a decent replacement. I think Dunham will work him over no matter how far Melvin has come along, but the real prize is UFC 126 coming up in three weeks. That is a seriously stacked card, and it has the one and only Spider on it. *starts listening to Anderson's theme and starts shadow boxing around the house*

Fight for the Troops 2 should be as good as the first one. I really wish that Florian wasn't hurt so that he could face Dunham, but Guillard is a decent replacement. I think Dunham will work him over no matter how far Melvin has come along, but the real prize is UFC 126 coming up in three weeks. That is a seriously stacked card, and it has the one and only Spider on it. *starts listening to Anderson's theme and starts shadow boxing around the house*

anderson-newton.gif

TUF Season 13: Lesnar vs Dos Santos

This is gonna be a veeerrryy interesting season of TUF & fight afterwords.

Usually in seasons of TUF I'd usually have a coach that if I were on the show, I'd like to work with for example last season it was GSP. Not because he is one of the best fighters in MMA, but because he has a really strong camp/setup of coaches that are known for improving fighters..but really this season it will be interesting. Lesnar has a very strong set of coaches behind him & seems to have a good camp setup, but on the flip side Dos Santos comes from a good camp of top coaches that breads champions.

Dos Santos has earned some extra respect & more fandom from me for stepping up & taking a fight dispite having a shot at Velasquez in the bag.. he isn't sitting on his arse dodging fights like Rashad is waiting for Shogun.

Could prove a good warm up fight for Dos Santos should he beat Lesnar, we know his striking is one of the best in the division, however his cardio looked suspect against Big Country & his grappling/takedown defense has yet to really be tested.

UFC 126 is a beast of a card, I'm really looking forward to it. :up:

I love the matchup of Lesnar and Dos Santos, but I would rather have Edgar/Maynard on TUF or Cruz and someone else to hype the bantamweights. TUF coaches should be guys that need exposure like the lighter weights coming over from WEC. Plus, Brock isn't really experienced enough to be a coach yet. He can probably show them a lot in terms of wrestling because he's elite in MMA at that, but they need more than that. Does Dos Santos speak English enough to train guys who will probably predominantly speak English? Maybe it's a US vs. Brazil. If that's the case I'd be excited as hell.

To be fair even though they are labeled as coaches they aren't really coaches, if that makes sense.

While they'll lend a hand here & there and perhaps share some insight on how they'd do something, it is essentially said fighters coaching staff that does the coaching. Look at GSP's setup last year, he served more as an advanced sparring partner more than anything else.. he left the coaching to the actual coaches.

TUF is more like 2 camps competing against each other, its as much about the 'coaches' teaching whatever they can as it is them learning new things & tricks from the various fighters that come in.

I actually thought that, it might be USA vs Brazil. I've never seen Dos Santos speak English..

Should be interesting one way or another.. it will do what Dana White wants anyway, hype up a fight & provide ppv buys & tv ratings for the TUF episodes.

Lesnar has a very strong set of coaches behind him & seems to have a good camp setup, but on the flip side Dos Santos comes from a good camp of top coaches that breads champions.

er...what? Isn't one of Lesnar's problems that he doesn't want to leave his home base and go to get the best training? Name some of his coaches? He's obviously got a great wrestling background but preparing for fights by throwing around Pat Barry and Cole Konrad isn't going to cut it if he wants to be a top guy.

JDS speaks pretty decent English. He's done a fair number of interviews, and in his last 4-5 fights he's spoken in English in the intro videos.

er...what? Isn't one of Lesnar's problems that he doesn't want to leave his home base and go to get the best training? Name some of his coaches? He's obviously got a great wrestling background but preparing for fights by throwing around Pat Barry and Cole Konrad isn't going to cut it if he wants to be a top guy.

Not at all, hes got Marty Morgan as his head trainer who was not only a top level wrestler himself, but also has a good deal of experience in preparing MMA fighters for fights. On top of that, while I couldn't name you them all, I know hes noted for having top level guys flown into his facility in various disciplines kickboxing, mauy thai, judo, bjj etc.. sure didn't he get the guy who was ranked the number 1 BJJ fighter in the world in to help him neutralise what Frank Mir would be doing in there second fight.. ?

Brock's biggest problem is not having good enough sparring partners, they are all heavyweights. Pat Berry was a good sparring partner for the Velasquez fight considering Velasquez does tend to throw a good deal of leg kicks, who better to help teach Brock than the guy with some of the most savage leg kicks in MMA.

:confused:

Velasquez doesn't throw a lot of leg kicks.

Lesnar has been training with the same people for years (with the exception of Barry)- Madsen, Konrad, Tushcherer...his head trainer Morgan. He should be mixing it up.

:confused:

Velasquez doesn't throw a lot of leg kicks.

Lesnar has been training with the same people for years (with the exception of Barry)- Madsen, Konrad, Tushcherer...his head trainer Morgan. He should be mixing it up.

He doesn't throw alot of leg kicks but he does throw them & mixes them into his punches & takedown attempts moreso than anyone else Lesnar had previously fought.

Some of his sparring partners are quite low calibre considering the fighters other heavyweights train alongside & spar with.. so from that perspective I agree. However from a coaching standpoint according to what the media reports of his secretive camps, he brings in top level coaches to help him keep evolving at the rate he will need to in order to be near the top. In some aspects his name has given him problems because had he come in fighting a few lower level guys to ease himself into MMA he'd probably have improved more.. I think his destruction of his opponent in his first fight made him a little too confident.

He'll really need to improve alot if potentially he'll be fighting Cain Velasquez again inside a year if he manages to beat Dos Santos.. because Velasquez has good hands & is a good wrestler himself.. Brock should really work on his defense from the ground if hes put on his back.

He doesn't throw alot of leg kicks but he does throw them & mixes them into his punches & takedown attempts moreso than anyone else Lesnar had previously fought.

Some of his sparring partners are quite low calibre considering the fighters other heavyweights train alongside & spar with.. so from that perspective I agree. However from a coaching standpoint according to what the media reports of his secretive camps, he brings in top level coaches to help him keep evolving at the rate he will need to in order to be near the top. In some aspects his name has given him problems because had he come in fighting a few lower level guys to ease himself into MMA he'd probably have improved more.. I think his destruction of his opponent in his first fight made him a little too confident.

He'll really need to improve alot if potentially he'll be fighting Cain Velasquez again inside a year if he manages to beat Dos Santos.. because Velasquez has good hands & is a good wrestler himself.. Brock should really work on his defense from the ground if hes put on his back.

Yeah I agree with this. Especially the bolded.

Damn! It keeps saying that an error occurred when trying to watch the video. *goes to find small children to beat up in frustration*

hey all,

I'm probably not going to be posting on the Hype much anymore. Was cool posting in this thread, even if it was only a few months. I should still be continuing writing, so if you want both serious and funny MMA talk that doesn't sound like the writer has a stick up their ass, check out the links in my sig/profile.

*does a hybrid dance of Anderson Silva and Genki Sudo*

hey all,

I'm probably not going to be posting on the Hype much anymore. Was cool posting in this thread, even if it was only a few months. I should still be continuing writing, so if you want both serious and funny MMA talk that doesn't sound like the writer has a stick up their ass, check out the links in my sig/profile.

*does a hybrid dance of Anderson Silva and Genki Sudo*

Shameless self promotion is shameless. Good riddance!

He'll be back. The lure of posting random Bas Rutten quotes in a super serial thread will win in the end.

Melvin Guillard is finally living up to his potential. He's another contender for certain now.

Melvin Guillard is finally living up to his potential. He's another contender for certain now.

He put on a great show, showed good takedown defense/balance as well I thought.

Matt Mitrione looks like hes improving with each fight, hes got heavy hands & has some nice combinations with hand/inside leg kicks.. that being said, you'll know about his potential once he meets some of the tougher fighters both striking wise & grappling wise..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"