Patrick Wilson is Orm

Loved seeing him again today. I wonder if we’ll see more from him in sequels.

of course we'll see him again, i think its gonna be another thor-loki relationship

i also hope to see him in a Justice league Movie, imagine him & Aquaman fighting darkseid army in Atlantis

of course we'll see him again, i think its gonna be another thor-loki relationship

i also hope to see him in a Justice league Movie, imagine him & Aquaman fighting darkseid army in Atlantis
I hope so.

Yes, that would be awesome. Mera and Atlanna too!

I'm 100% sure this will be the same as Dark World route where Arthur needs Orm help in the sequel, can't really think of anything else unless he stays locked up the entire time

Wilson absolutely rocked Orm for me, got his ego & delivery spot on, his 'look' was perfect too. Hugely impressed by all the performances in the film as a whole, but thought Wilson was one of the stand-outs.
I was totally happy with him. I thought he'd be good and he didn't let me down.

I'm 100% sure this will be the same as Dark World route where Arthur needs Orm help in the sequel, can't really think of anything else unless he stays locked up the entire time
Cool, I really want that. Would love to see them fighting together.

Enjoyed his King Orm. Who knew he can play a convincing villain and that he can get that physically massively imposing, especially opposite humongous of a man Jason Momoa.

But I'll always be fond of him here:

You know when he was first announced his was the only casting I wasn’t 100% certain of? Couldn’t have been more wrong. He was amazing. Must have been hard to prepare for a role like this

The man perfectly captured the energy and stage presence of the character.

He’s hammy, but in a controlled, focused, and effective way that makes him an absorbing character, a bit like a Shakespearean actor would on the stage.

It’s also amazing that they managed to make his mask both cool, and cooler still when it moved. That should have been unbearably cheesy, but instead? It really, *really* worked.

My buddy and I dove into all the characters and actors in our podcast, and Wilson was one of the standouts: FranchiseWars by Kitchen Sink on Apple Podcasts

The man perfectly captured the energy and stage presence of the character.

He’s hammy, but in a controlled, focused, and effective way that makes him an absorbing character, a bit like a Shakespearean actor would on the stage.

It’s also amazing that they managed to make his mask both cool, and cooler still when it moved. That should have been unbearably cheesy, but instead? It really, *really* worked.

My buddy and I dove into all the characters and actors in our podcast, and Wilson was one of the standouts: FranchiseWars by Kitchen Sink on Apple Podcasts

that's what i thought of wilson's performance as orm too. it was a pretty theatrical villian performance - but it fit the tone of the movie

While I certainly didn't hate Wilson the first time I saw it, I put it more in a "He's perfectly fine" kind of category. By no means bad, but I was kinda thinking it wasn't as meaty a performance (or written for that matter) than it could have been.

I still think that it's a few notches bellow say a Tom Hiddleston or Michael B. Jordan in their CBMs but as time has gone on and I've rewatched the film three times in theaters since it's release... The aspects that at first I felt kind of held him back are now starting to seem to me like the plan Wan had all along for the film and the character.

Just hear me out... I think one of the biggest and legitimate criticisms of the film is... It's Tropesville. It's running on a well, WELL worn formula with very little to change things up. I mean LITERALLY there are music cues that go "Dun-dun-DUH!!!" through the whole runtimes. He uses "shock" moments ala jump scares a half dozen times. And yeah, the villain is the usual aristocratic *****enozzle we all want to see get his posterior handed to him by his slob brother.

For some that's going to just be too cliche' and I even agreed to a certain extent but as I've marinated in the film more I started to think... Was this the plan all along? Did Wan make a gamble that a stategy that so totally embraced cliche' that he might perform an alchemy and transcend them? If so... I think it works somehow and Wilson as Orm is a perfect example of how what should have been trite stays trite yet somehow doesn't feel stifling or boring. He was just layered enough that he was more than just a mustache twirler but he was also imposing and arrogant as a villain like him should be.

That said, not to take away from Wilson in the part but... going with that "embrace the cliche'" theory, did anyone else find that a big part of what makes Wilson work in the part is the heavy voice modulation he has for the vast majority of the film? It's again, cliche' but the booming sinister voice thing again, just works.

@KRYPTON INC people nowadays like "self-aware" comedies or movies where the lead actors know that they are playing cliche characters or movie troupes and they show that in their performances, sort of wink-wink, nod-nod performances.. "we know what you are thinking, I am not taking this seriously either" (playing as a parody of cliche characters). If this movie had done that, many top critics would have been less harsh on this movie.

But Wilson (with Theater background) played it as straight as he could, with earnestness, it worked for most general audiences, even though Critics groaned.

@KRYPTON INC people nowadays like "self-aware" comedies or movies where the lead actors know that they are playing cliche characters or movie troupes and they show that in their performances, sort of wink-wink, nod-nod performances.. "we know what you are thinking, I am not taking this seriously either" (playing as a parody of cliche characters). If this movie had done that, many top critics would have been less harsh on this movie.

But Wilson (with Theater background) played it as straight as he could, with earnestness, it worked for most general audiences, even though Critics groaned.

Yeah that's what I mean. The film had it's humor but it never quite went over the line with bathos. It just said, "No... This is all exactly how it's supposed to be. Are you in with actually feeling for our characters and the story, which includes things like a would be tyrant king that looks like a model from a skin care commercial with his sinister mask and booming voice who is both a royal and romantic rival to our hero, his brother who dresses like a biker gang member, drinks beer and is at heart "A Regular Dude"? And if you were onboard Wan and Co. did nothing to make you wanna step off the ride.

Which as I always say... When reading about these characters as a wee lad the taking it all earnestly searious WAS the "fun".

62053184-2065784750217908-8953617875220773315-n.jpg

So orm was actually his half brother from his dad in the comics? It works better with what they did in the movie imo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"