Patty Jenkins & Gal Gadot reunite for ‘Cleopatra’

Has there been anything on her that hasn't already been covered in past films?

Most depictions leave out Arsinoe, Cleopatra's sister who declared herself Queen and invaded Alexandria to some success, most notably trapping Julius Caesar at the Lighthouse and forcing him to abandon his armor and swim for it, before she got betrayed by several of her own officers and handed over to the Romans in exchange for the captured Ptolemy XIII. Caesar eventually pardoned her and sent her to the Temple of Artemis at Ephesus, where years later Cleopatra and Mark Antony had her killed out of revenge on the steps of the Temple which caused a major scandal and helped turn Roman opinion against them.

tenor.gif

FE9C2370-31BD-4F1E-8673-AB1254C08DCD.gif

Most depictions leave out Arsinoe, Cleopatra's sister who declared herself Queen and invaded Alexandria to some success, most notably trapping Julius Caesar at the Lighthouse and forcing him to abandon his armor and swim for it, before she got betrayed by several of her own officers and handed over to the Romans in exchange for the captured Ptolemy XIII. Caesar eventually pardoned her and sent her to the Temple of Artemis at Ephesus, where years later Cleopatra and Mark Antony had her killed out of revenge on the steps of the Temple which caused a major scandal and helped turn Roman opinion against them.

That's actually interesting and would be a good story to tell, only it would have to be a film about the sister.

Sounds amazing, I can’t wait to check it out

Curious what the budget will be. The original one was famously expensive to make. I imagine they will want to use a lot of CGI instead of building real sets. But I don’t see this being a huge movie, since Gal hasn’t really shown she can open a movie outside of Wonder Woman.

Great to see both come back together. Im interesting what Gal will do with some tougher material. Im confident she can do this. Its just annoying all the hate she gets on twitter for "white washing".

Rhetorical question: which actresses those outraged people are proposing instead of G.Gabot ?

I think she looks the part, she is very pretty as Cleopatra was supposed to be.

Rhetorical question: which actresses those outraged people are proposing instead of G.Gabot ?

I think she looks the part, she is very pretty as Cleopatra was supposed to be.

Apparently some are proposing either a black actress instead of whitewashing the role because they're angry that Cleopatra isn't going to be black when she wasn't in the first place, or some are wanting an Arabic actress and are calling Gal "bland looking". :loco:

I am skeptical Gadot can pull off the role. But, I always hope every movie is good, so I hope Jenkins can get her there.

Didn't Leta Kalogridis write (and submit)one Wonder Woman movie script before Joss Whedon was hired ?

*Quick search* Yeah.

Apparently some are proposing either a black actress instead of whitewashing the role because they're angry that Cleopatra isn't going to be black when she wasn't in the first place, or some are wanting an Arabic actress and are calling Gal "bland looking". :loco:

Remember, the SJWs on Twitter accused Peter Dinklage's casting of "whitewashing" Herve Villechaize, who.......was white.

They're not the most informed opinions.

At this point I don't even care. Cleopatra wasn't some blue eyed blonde so Gadot is good enough for me.

I feel Lady Gaga would have been a better choice.

Aren't Gal and Patty the ones who wanted to make this film in the first place? So it's their project. People can't then complain "how dare they cast an Israeli actress in the part" as if it were someone else's project with an open casting call and the filmmaker settled on Gal for the role.

Soon we're going to get people complaining how dare they got Steven Spielberg to direct ET when it should've been someone else.

At this point I don't even care. Cleopatra wasn't some blue eyed blonde so Gadot is good enough for me.

It wouldn't be farfetched if she was. Alexander the Great is thought to have been and Cleopatra was a descendant of the same family. Ptolemy Soter was at least a cousin of Alexander and some sources claim he was his half-brother. On top of this the Ptolemaic Dynasty was extremely inbred and usually wouldn't marry outside the family.

On the other hand, ancient sources do describe Cleopatra as being rather plain rather than the bombshell she is traditionally played as. But that's nothing new. Most people get beauty upgrades when in films and television. Caesar is certainly no exception himself, rarely being depicted as the old, frail, balding man he actually was.

Last edited:
Yea people who wanted an Arabic actress to play an ancient Greek (which was Cleopatra’s extraction) don’t know what they’re talking about, because ancient Greeks didn’t look like Arabs. Or like modern Greeks for that matter. Alexander the Great was expressly described as blond. Many of the ancient Roman Emperors were blond as well. They didn’t look like how we think of Greeks and Italians (yes I know the Greeks and Romans weren’t the same thing).

Jennifer Aniston for Cleopatra! :o

That nose gives it away every time :o

Methinks Cleo was about 20 when she assumed the throne and 40 when she died. So Gadot can probably handle those ages. Whereas... Aniston or Jolie might be a tad too old.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Holopaxume
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"