Rogue Squadron Patty Jenkins' Rogue Squadron - Christmas 2023

I highly doubt Jenkins gets the boot. For one, Lucasfilm/Disney will probably want to avoid another high profile firing, especially to a female director, after what happened with Lord & Miller and Benioff & Weiss.

I didn’t think WW’84 was as bad as many have made it out to be. I liked it though it’s not as good as the first. I’ve read that Jenkins got a lot of free reign with WW’84 as in she made the movie she wanted to make. With Rogue Squadron I can see Disney putting some restrictions and maybe even having someone like Filoni & Favreau to consult

That is why I think she will be let go/resign. She does not sound like someone who will be happy with her "vision" being meddled with by someone else. I think considering her recent interviews regarding the 3rd act of the first WW, "studio meddling" will be a deal breaker for her.

And considering the last time Lucasfilm allowed a director complete autonomy to make a Star Wars movie, they ended up with the Last Jedi. I definitely do not see them giving that kind of freedom again.

Seems like another Kathleen Kennedy director firing in the making.

That is why I think she will be let go/resign. She does not sound like someone who will be happy with her "vision" being meddled with by someone else. I think considering her recent interviews regarding the 3rd act of the first WW, "studio meddling" will be a deal breaker for her.

And considering the last time Lucasfilm allowed a director complete autonomy to make a Star Wars movie, they ended up with the Last Jedi. I definitely do not see them giving that kind of freedom again.

Seems like another Kathleen Kennedy director firing in the making.
Agreed. Patty Jenkins walked away from Thor TDW for creative differences. I think it's important to understand that LFL cannot abide any divisiveness in the SW franchise anymore, or at least not anytime soon. She might have had more latitude to do whatever she wanted if WW84 was a bonafide hit and critically acclaimed by audiences and movie pundits alike, but it's not. In this case, both Disney and Jenkins will need to be in complete alignment, if so, is full speed ahead, but make no mistake. She's going to make the exact movie Disney wants her to make or she will be asked to leave.

I'll be honest, I have no vested interest in this movie at all. Rogue Squadron is probably the most boring choice Disney could have made for the next film as far as I'm concerned, and an idea worryingly reminiscent of approach that brought us Rogue One and Solo. 'Top Gun in space' has promise I suppose, just not to me.

It also doesn't help that I am not a huge fan of Jenkins. I've only seen Wonder Woman, but I didn't care for it. Execs at Lucasfilm must be despairing at the mixed reception to WW84. This is not the first time they've hired talent with buzz, only to see them tank their credibility before their film is made. Jenkins has not suffered the same embarrassment as Season 8 of Game of Thrones or Book of Henry, but yeah like you guys have said, it does make me wonder if this project will be a victim of creative differences.

I expect Patty to cast Chris Pine in this.

I wish Lucasfilm stopped just hiring on the basis of superficial "hot" talent instead of the Marvel approach which can be inspired. Jenkins, like some of these choices are fine and they are talented, but she like pretty much everyone else except Rian Johnson were hired after the fact they had these buzzy hits. To me it just shows part of their lack of vision for this stuff.

"James Mangold made Logan so we want that for Indiana Jones!"

"Taika Watiti made two hit movies now we want to make a Taika Watiti SW movie."

"Patty Jenkins made Wonder Woman so we want her!"

"GOT is the biggest show right now so we want them to make a SW movie!"

Not to mention the concepts themselves are just flat out boring and uncreative like this.

Last edited:
I wish Lucasfilm stopped just hiring on the basis of superficial "hot" talent instead of the Marvel approach which can be inspired. Jenkins, like some of these choices are fine and they are talented, but she like pretty much everyone else except Rian Johnson were hired after the fact they had these buzzy hits. To me it just shows part of their lack of vision for this stuff.

"James Mangold made Logan so we want that for Indiana Jones!"

"Taika Watiti made two hit movies now we want to make a Taika Watiti SW movie."

"Patty Jenkins made Wonder Woman so we want her!"

"GOT is the biggest show right now so we want them to make a SW movie!"

Not to mention the concepts themselves are just flat out boring and uncreative like this.
Kennedy is a great producer but shaky and uncertain as a head of studio, and her choices in directors shows it. Like you said, she's picking the "hot" director of the moment instead of finding the right director for the project.

I just feel like it's a sad state of affairs when one "misfire" (I honestly thought WW84 was mostly solid, if a bit silly), and suddenly the entire internet turns on the director, and people start questioning whether the person is the best choice or should have creative control on their next project. As if any director is going to please everyone 100% of the time. It's ridiculous.

Patty seems to have a real connection with this project due to her father's history as a fighter pilot and a genuine love for aviation. That even comes across beautifully in her Wonder Woman films.

I think she's a great pick for this, not because she's "hot" (or not?) at the moment, but because she's proven that she's a very capable filmmaker, can handle these bigger tentpole movies, and she clearly has a genuine emotional hook into the material and a reason to do it justice. Let her make the film she wants to make. We also still don't know who the big mystery writer is, which will be interesting.

Last edited:
WW'84 is just alright but I still enjoy her work and have faith in her for this as well as Wonder Woman 3!

Just started playing Squadrons. I named my imperial pilot Whiff Shaft, which amused me greatly.

I just feel like it's a sad state of affairs when one "misfire" (I honestly thought WW84 was mostly solid, if a bit silly), and suddenly the entire internet turns on the director, and people start questioning whether the person is the best choice or should have creative control on their next project. As if any director is going to please everyone 100% of the time. It's ridiculous.

Patty seems to have a real connection with this project due to her father's history as a fighter pilot and a genuine love for aviation. That even comes across beautifully in her Wonder Woman films.

I think she's a great pick for this, not because she's "hot" (or not?) at the moment, but because she's proven that she's a very capable filmmaker, can handle these bigger tentpole movies, and she clearly has a genuine emotional hook into the material and a reason to do it justice. Let her make the film she wants to make. We also still don't know who the big mystery writer is, which will be interesting.

I'm not seeing many people slating Jenkins as a film-maker though, more Lucasfilm for their track record. If anything, I'd say more people seem to have assumed she'd clash with the studio rather than deliver a mediocre film.

I think Patty Jenkins appears to be uniquely connected with this idea and well suited for it, but I also think the idea of making a Rogue Squadron movie at all is incredibly boring and safe. I was probably the most negative about Jenkins in this thread. I thought Wonder Woman was okay with a pretty terrible ending and haven't seen her other films, so I'm not super keen. But on the other hand I'm not predicting doom or anything. The lady has talent, I hope it works out and she hooks me.

Dora the Explorer?
Wow, „stellar“ staff...
Thanks for even trying, Kathleen

Last edited:
I didn't watch the Dora movie or Love and Monsters but they reviewed well enough. I don't want to spoil any chance to slate Kathleen Kennedy though, because that meme is as fresh and rational as ever.

just remembered, that the Russo‘s are responsible for You, me and Durpree...so why not a writer frome Dora the Explorer movie

Patty Jenkins Thinks Streaming’s Day-and-Date Strategy Won’t Last – The Hollywood Reporter

You had one of the best announcements of the pandemic, in my opinion, when you suited up and revealed that you are directing Star Wars: Rogue Squadron. How is development going?

It’s going amazing. I had been on it already for six months before I even announced that, so we’re pretty deep into it. We’re finishing a script, crewing up, and it’s all going wonderful. I’m so excited about the story and excited that we’re the next chapter of Star Wars, which is such a responsibility and such an opportunity to really start some new things. It’s really exciting in that way.

What is the consulting process like with the Star Wars brain trust?

There’s plenty of it. It’s an entirely different way of working. I’m on the phone with all of them and doing Zoom meetings with everybody involved in Star Wars all the time. I’m fairly free to do the story that we want to do, but you really need to know who’s done what, who’s doing what, where it goes and how it works, and what designs have been done before. It’s a whole other way of working that I’m getting up to speed on.

Wouldn't surprise me if this gets canned quietly

Sucks but not surprising

Lucasfilm has had a good habit of announcing all these projects and then quietly canning them

I'm guessing Lucasfilm saw WW84 and went "nah". Same thing happened with Trevorrow (Book of Henry), D&D (GoT S8) and Trank (F4).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"