DC TV Series Pennyworth - Batman Prequel gets series order at Epix

I skimmed through the first episode and was pretty bored, but then I never got past episode 2 of Gotham. Didn't like this version of Thomas Wayne, either (and his American accent was awful).

I thought the first episode was pretty good. It took a while to get going, but by the end there was plenty of action. It did a bit of set up at first, mostly Alfred's love interest, relationships, background... Alfred (Alfie) is a likeable character and actor and the world-building was good (the secret societies etc.) I am looking forward to the next episode.

For me, while the show has yet to find its footing, it's leagues above Gotham in terms of production values and such. Very entertaining.

Last edited:
Just finished watching the second episode.
Really really enjoying this show.
It’s a shame that people aren’t giving it a chance.

The ripper was really creepy.
Definitely hope to see more of him.

This is one of my new favourite shows.

To me the show has gotten better as it goes along. (I've seen the first 3 eps.)

Basically Alfred takes up jobs for his private security business and gets more involved finding out crazy things about the government, organised crime, secret societies etc. Along the way we find out more about him, his friends, family, even the villains. The show is not afraid to be wacky and show some extreme stuff too.

I do hope the show gets more of a chance and finds an audience.

I’m really enjoying Bannon as Alfred.
I could definitely see him becoming the Alfred we know and love.

Bannon is a great Alfred. He's convincing as a young guy who has had trauma from war, is very clever (especially on the spot) and being calm and putting up with all these crazy personalities around him.

It's interesting to see that this all happened to the Alfred we are familiar with.

I’m really enjoying Bannon as Alfred.
I could definitely see him becoming the Alfred we know and love.

I was thinking the same thing earlier on. Also, how cool is it that Alfred's described as SAS (Special Air Service), an idea that originated with Michael Cain and subsequently became canon in the comics?

I haven't read much Alfred in the comics but I do remember in Batman: Earth One they portrayed him as much tougher, with his fighting skills and military background.

Interview with Jack Bannon (Alfred) and Ben Aldridge (Thomas Wayne.)

Jack talks about how Michael Caine was a huge inspiration, not only because Caine played Alfred and wanted him ex-SAS, but because Caine was a big 60s movie star who starred in spy thrillers like 'The Ipcress Files' (Pennyworth is set in the 60s):

I haven't read much Alfred in the comics but I do remember in Batman: Earth One they portrayed him as much tougher, with his fighting skills and military background.
I don't know how much tougher he is supposed to be. A Special Air Service combat veteran, Malaysia I think and the surviving members of his squad have handled all many of submachinegun armed gangsters thrown at them

I don't know how much tougher he is supposed to be. A Special Air Service combat veteran, Malaysia I think and the surviving members of his squad have handled all many of submachinegun armed gangsters thrown at them

I didn't mean tougher than on the show, I meant tougher than he is usually portrayed in the comics.

Just finished watching the second episode.
Really really enjoying this show.
It’s a shame that people aren’t giving it a chance.

The ripper was really creepy.
Definitely hope to see more of him.

How many people actually have EPIX though?

How many people actually have EPIX though?
It's also available on Amazon Prime but yeah I do wish it was more widely available. Maybe they will put it on things like DC Universe eventually. I hope many more people get to see it.

I think there was also some criticism before its release like "Why is this even necessary?". I even wondered that, even during the first episode. But it's actually really well done and stands on its own.

If you do get a chance to see it, I think people should take it as its own thing without wondering where it all fits in or thinking about what it would be like with Batman lol.

I wonder if this will go beyond the ten episodes of Season 1 (because of its limited availability.) If not, I am still glad it was made.

Not in Canada. :csad:

I read that it will come out around October in places like Canada (Showcase) and UK (Starz Play). It is a bummer that it is having a scattered release like this, in terms of building hype. A show like this needs big publicity and a bigger push because it's doesn't have an obvious superhero and there is some cynicism towards it.

It's also available on Amazon Prime but yeah I do wish it was more widely available. Maybe they will put it on things like DC Universe eventually. I hope many more people get to see it.

I think there was also some criticism before its release like "Why is this even necessary?". I even wondered that, even during the first episode. But it's actually really well done and stands on its own.

If you do get a chance to see it, I think people should take it as its own thing without wondering where it all fits in or thinking about what it would be like with Batman lol.

I wonder if this will go beyond the ten episodes of Season 1 (because of its limited availability.) If not, I am still glad it was made.
The way Amazon has it listed looks suspiciously like they will give away the first few episodes before the pay wall drops. Like CBS did with Star Trek and YouTube did with Cobra Kai.

I watched Episode 4:

This was a different kind of episode, Alfred and Martha take a trip to a small village to find out some info about the Raven Society. They sort of just stumble upon the answers and fight to make their getaway.

Alfred and Martha (the future wife of Thomas Wayne) kiss each other towards the end of the episode, causing confused feelings since Alfred is engaged to Esme. (Martha and Thomas are not involved here yet.) This creates a new type of scenario for Alfred and Martha. Rather than just being "the butler" he has more of a history with Martha, as well as working for both her and Thomas Wayne (in this show.) It is a bit strange that there is now this romantic tension between Alfred and Martha. But I regard all this as an Elseworlds type of setting anyway.

I have enjoyed all the episodes. But I would say I have enjoyed Episode 3 the most, as there was a bit more action and intrigue in it.

Quite impressed with the show. Doesn't go where you expect.

So are we all pretty much assuming that this show ends with Bruce’s birth?

So are we all pretty much assuming that this show ends with Bruce’s birth?

Could be, but there's a lot it can do before all that. It depends how long it goes for, if it is renewed. They could get to a stage where Thomas and Martha start to build up their lives together in Gotham, business and family. And where Alfred fits into all that. But for now the focus could still just be on Alfred's life and his own world (which is good.)

I just worry that it could be like Gotham, in that a lot of people were waiting for the final reveal of Bruce as Batman, and it turned out to not be very interesting. What's more interesting is what came before it with these type of prequel/Elseworlds shows. (I think 'Krypton' needed to focus less on Superman and more on its own story.) Also, Thomas and Martha are so different in this show it's hard to see how it will all play out for them (before the inevitable part that we know i.e. getting married and having Bruce.)

Last edited:
There have been interesting events regarding Thomas and Martha:

with Martha inadvertently caught up with Satanism (because of Thomas' sister's social circle). So Martha has been through some dark events before she married Thomas and had Bruce. I guess this "darkness" can be tied to Batman. She has really been given much more of a backstory and is more her own person.

Thomas is already part of a wealthy family, with Wayne Enterprises already established, and he is worried about his family's name and reputation when his sister always gets into trouble.

There's also interesting stuff with the No Name League and the Crow Society creating a left-wing and right-wing battle in 60s England, and families split in terms of loyalties.

One episode left and still greatly enjoying the show. Not sure how it will end, whether it will just wrap up the Season 1 storyline and leave things open for Season 2. Or whether it will wrap up the story entirely. Loving all the politics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"