DC TV Series Pennyworth - Batman Prequel gets series order at Epix

Fincher

Coming Undone
Reaction score
http://deadline.com/2018/05/batman-...er-danny-cannon-series-order-epix-1202392299/

MGM-owned Epix has given a 10-episode straight-to-series order to Pennyworth, a Batman prequel from Gotham showrunner Bruno Heller, executive producer/director Danny Cannon and Warner Horizon Scripted TV.

Written by Heller, based on DC characters created by Bob Kane and Bill Finger, Pennyworth follows Bruce Wayne’s legendary butler, Alfred Pennyworth, a former British SAS soldier who forms a security company and goes to work with Thomas Wayne, Bruce’s billionaire father, in 1960’s London. Production will begin later this year, with a series premiere slated for 2019.

Heller and Cannon executive produce and Cannon will direct the pilot.

“As genuine fans of these classic DC characters, as well as the incredibly talented Bruno Heller and Danny Cannon, we couldn’t be more excited to make Epix the home of this series,” said Michael Wright, President, Epix.

“We can’t wait to work with Bruno and Danny – along with Peter Roth, Susan Rovner, Brett Paul and the team at Warner Horizon – on this fantastic origin story.”

Bruno Heller and Danny Cannon said, “Michael and his colleagues have created the perfect venue for original storytelling, and all of us working on Pennyworth are thrilled to be on the Epix slate.”
So, yeah. Can't say I'm interested, but I figured it warranted a thread.

Can they make this canon?

s-l300.jpg

Jude Law should complete the “former-roles-of-Michael-Caine” trilogy.

“The Young Butler.”

Still sounds better than an Aunt May film about her being a spy.

good god, it never ends... give it time and they'll probably have prequel shows about Jimmy Olsen starting out at the Daily Planet or Lucius Fox starting out at Wayne Enterprises...

I like Alfred, but jeez beasties, they couldn't think of another property to adapt?

Coming soon to the DC Universe streaming app... When Thomas Met Martha

Oh for goodness sake. A show about Clark Kent's grandfather on their homeworld is one thing, but a show about Bruce Wayne's Butler back when he started working for Thomas Wayne (or before). Why? I mean other that the names of characters, what possible relevance is there going to be? They can hardly throw in a bunch of Gotham villains at this point.

Give it time, we'll have a show about Henry Allen and his marriage to Nora.

i bet this will be a whole season :woot:

ehuTSMB.png

Kinda curious over this. I mean, the fact we're getting a frickin' Alfred show is pretty ridiculous ( :woot: ) , but I do love the way these guys/this team write the character.

A bit of a bummer it's not a true Gotham spin-off though, a younger version of Pertwee's guy, for my money he's the best on-screen Alfred in any medium, and that's a high call given some of the great takes we've had so far.

Interesting it's a 60s setting though, could make for some cool stuff. Been hankering for some more period-piece comic stuff ever since Agent Carter was stomped out.

Kinda curious over this. ...Interesting it's a 60s setting though, could make for some cool stuff.

On its face, a TV show about a British intelligence agent isn’t the worst idea. (It sounds a lot better than, for example, a show about a magician who solves wacky crimes for the FBI. :o) And, as you say, the 1960s London setting would be kinda novel.

If Gotham wasn’t stupid enough as a concept... now we have a series about his ****ing butler.

What’s next? A ten part series about who built Wayne Manor? 24 episodes of Lucius Fox taking his engineering degree? How about a six season epic all about Joe Chill?

WB are absolute clown shoes.

I don't really see why this is such a terrible idea? Seems like an interesting concept, especially being set firmly in the 1960s and being very far removed from Batman and his villains.

As long as it's a good story, I'm down to give it a shot.

If Gotham wasn’t stupid enough as a concept... now we have a series about his ****ing butler.

What’s next? A ten part series about who built Wayne Manor? 24 episodes of Lucius Fox taking his engineering degree? How about a six season epic all about Joe Chill?

WB are absolute clown shoes.

Psh - a few weird choices aside, Gotham's awesome. They get the mood & tone/vibe down a million times better than Nolan & Snyder, in a comics-Batman sense, anyway.

Can we get a series order about the two hyenas joker owned from btas?

We officially have too many superhero shows :dry:

Psh - a few weird choices aside, Gotham's awesome. They get the mood & tone/vibe down a million times better than Nolan & Snyder, in a comics-Batman sense, anyway.

Gotham is crap for one very obvious reason... though I do confess I am enjoying just how bat**** crazy it is these days.

I hope this is about a young Alfred learning to become a Butler.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"