• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

Petition for Fox to Sell Rights to Marvel

What's wrong with those statements? :huh:

It's not that anything is wrong, I've had people tell me that the intent behind petition is not about forcing Fox to sell the IP so much as it is voicing their frustration and displeasure with Fox. I outlined the statements to show that the petition is about forcing Fox's hand. The statements is meant to flip the burden of proof on whoever disagrees with my statement, so now they're going to have to explain how this is not about forcing Fox's hand.

Yes, fans do feel strongly about wanting the FF rights to be revert back to Fox, which is one of the reasons why they signed the petition. But it is due to the blatant disregard for the FF property and the purpose behind making the movie in the first place (retaining IP rights) that further peeved off the fans. Just because there's a slight to no chance of Fox actually consent to the will of the people and relinquish their hold on the FF rights doesn't invalidate the grass root effort of the fans and their petition.

It's not so much invalidating, as it is seeing this petition as a complete waste of time and bandwidth. Maybe agree to disagree, but I just don't think a petition is going to make a business decision for Fox that the petitioners want, and quite frankly, it's not only silly but also redundant over considering the end result of the box office.

Thanks for that clarification. So we matter, but only selectively (I do agree with that).

As regards the IP issue though, wouldn't you think that losing the core fanbase and the GA utterly would play into what they decide? I can see why they'd think fans wishes and any petition arising from that are of zero importance as long as they are still making money, but they are taking what looks to be at least a $60mil loss on this thing. Then there's the ongoing embarrassing 'blame game' fallout to consider (Trank getting lawyered up suggests he is expecting something).

Hard to see how they can present a case to their shareholders that the FF is something that is worth them keeping anymore. If I were one I 'd ask "are we not just throwing good money after bad?"

The petition itself probably won't factor at all (it will be all about the money in the end), but it doesn't hurt to have something beyond a message board consensus to let Fox know where the fanbase stands.

A meaningless gesture perhaps, but it's not hurting anyone.

I completely agree in terms of wondering if there's any value left in the IP now that Fox has made three very mediocre movies that pretty much damaged the brand. And then there's the overarching narrative of whether FF as a whole is worth it, given that that readership was declining since the '60s. I just think Fox's decision is going to be made based on the money they've lost, the critical reception and whether they think they can redeem themselves (there's still a possibility that they may keep the rights, after all, if not for the time constraints, they would've rebooted Daredevil and we wouldn't have the amazing TV series. Presumably to keep away from Marvel's golden touch). I just don't think it's worth the time or effort when there are IMO much stronger indicators through money and reception. Those two speak the loudest, and they let Fox know where the audience stands.

Last edited:
It's not that anything is wrong, I've had people tell me that the intent behind petition is not about forcing Fox to sell the IP so much as it is voicing their frustration and displeasure with Fox. I outlined the statements to show that the petition is about forcing Fox's hand. The statements is meant to flip the burden of proof on whoever disagrees with my statement, so now they're going to have to explain how this is not about forcing Fox's hand.
We all know we can't force Fox's hand. No petition actually forces anyone to do anything. The point of signing a petition is to voice an opinion, and hope the powers that be look at it. The opinion being expressed here is that Fox should quit making FF movies and sell the rights back to Marvel.

Right, Fox honesty doesn't give two craps about a fan petition. What matters to Fox and Marvel is dollar signs. If Fox feels like it's best to sell (or trade for the X-Men TV rights) FF to Marvel, then they will do it. If Fox feels like FF is the better long term solution to be kept instead of sold for something else, they'll keep it. Fans may not like it but honestly we as fans have very little impact in swaying a multi-billion corporation from changing it's tune. The only way we can impact is by showing zero support for Fox's FF films. That includes buying movie tickets and especially not buying it when it comes to home video and digital this fall.

Right, Fox honesty doesn't give two craps about a fan petition. What matters to Fox and Marvel is dollar signs. If Fox feels like it's best to sell (or trade for the X-Men TV rights) FF to Marvel, then they will do it. If Fox feels like FF is the better long term solution to be kept instead of sold for something else, they'll keep it. Fans may not like it but honestly we as fans have very little impact in swaying a multi-billion corporation from changing it's tune. The only way we can impact is by showing zero support for Fox's FF films. That includes buying movie tickets and especially not buying it when it comes to home video and digital this fall.

What's more important is that Critics, GA and Fans didn't give a crap about this reboot.

Doubt this petition will be key factor in Fox's DOOM but it clearly does more harm to them than good so here's to people continuing to sign it. :woot:

We all know we can't force Fox's hand. No petition actually forces anyone to do anything. The point of signing a petition is to voice an opinion, and hope the powers that be look at it. The opinion being expressed here is that Fox should quit making FF movies and sell the rights back to Marvel.

Yeah, and since the only ones grumbling about the petition are mostly those who were pro 4stic in the first place why stop what we're doing now..?

Last edited:
Frankly I feel if Fox would move forward with a sequel, it would to spite the fans more than Marvel.. It's not like Marvel/Disney is losing sleep (Or more important MONEY)by not having the FF four in the MCU and They can't justify a profit so all there is left is spite

The problem with expressing that opinion is that it's completely irrelevant in Fox's eyes. Unlike other matters where expressing an opinion is important to allow people to make changes, what these petitioners are ultimately asking for is to make the rights management decision for Fox. It's like having a bunch of nobodies telling you how to run a business when they don't exactly know the full story as far as corporate ideas are concerned.

Yeah, and since the only ones grumbling about the petition are mostly those who were pro 4stic in the first place why stop what we're doing now..?

You might want to be careful about painting people with broad strokes. I am not pro-FF in anyway, shape or form after seeing how miserable its reviews were. And surely, there are other people who dislike the petition while not being pro-FF.

Frankly I feel if Fox would move forward with a sequel, it would to spite the fans more than Marvel.. It's not like Marvel/Disney is losing sleep (Or more important MONEY)by not having the FF four in the MCU and They can't justify a profit so all there is left is spite

They wouldn't be spiting the fans, though it's understandable to see why they'd see it that way. They'd be keeping the rights away from Marvel considering they know Marvel wants the IP, and yet they hold all the power in the world in deciding if they want the rights to revert or not.

The problem with expressing that opinion is that it's completely irrelevant in Fox's eyes. Unlike other matters where expressing an opinion is important to allow people to make changes, what these petitioners are ultimately asking for is to make the rights management decision for Fox. It's like having a bunch of nobodies telling you how to run a business when they don't exactly know the full story as far as corporate ideas are concerned.
Point is, we're not trying to force Fox's hand. Whether they think we're nobodies with worthless opinions or not, we're only expressing opinions. Are FF fans' opinions worthless to Fox? Probably. But seeing as their latest movie flopped catastrophically (and there were even reports that Fox issued questionnaires asking theater audiences what they should do with the franchise), maybe they've considered taking a look at what the fans have to say.

And to those reminding us that consumers can influence Fox more by not showing up at the box office than by signing a silly petition; I haven't seen anyone disagree with that. Obviously, box office will influence Fox far more than any petition will. But so what? Even if Fox doesn't give a rat's ass about it, the petition is harmless, and it takes ten seconds to sign it.

Complaining about the petition's pointlessness for 7 pages takes a lot more than ten seconds. Seems like a bigger time waster to me.
InJustice said:
You might want to be careful about painting people with broad strokes. I am not pro-FF in anyway, shape or form after seeing how miserable its reviews were. And surely, there are other people who dislike the petition while not being pro-FF.
I don't doubt that, but why continue to argue this point for so long? Are you really so offended by petitions that don't involve issues of social justice or exploitation? Were you this offended by the "Please Make A Dredd Sequel" petition?

I said "mostly" so perhaps you should be more careful when reading things that shouldn't apply to you then. Either way my post still stands.

But I guess you could create a petition against the petition if it bothers you that much. :woot:

Me, I'll be blunt: when you spend extended periods making dubious apologist arguments aimed at those opposed to a movie? You are supporting the movie. If you don't intend to support the movie, then you need to consider whether your actions match up with your intents.

Or, quit complaining about being labelled Pro-FF Reboot, when your behavior has been consistently Pro-FF Reboot.

I wish they would do this. Not to spite all the fans just the ones who sign petitions to force a Studio to pay attention to their temper tantrums.

I wish they would do this. Not to spite all the fans just the ones who sign petitions to force a Studio to pay attention to their temper tantrums.

Well it's not our Money anyway.. We don't have to answer to shareholders so.. Press on Fox :whatever:

But, after this flop they wouldn't be making a sequel for profit... That's for sure. Petition or not

Depends on how rich they are, hundreds of millions or billionaires? If I had 50 billion in the bank, I'd spend 175 million to make a sequel...a real sequel. Or make one now, sit on it and release it when the rights are almost up.
But I'm tired of MCU worship and the notion that only they do good comic book films so Im probably not thinking clearly.

Last edited:
I don't think any of the people you're accusing of "worshipping" the MCU actually like Marvel Studios films exclusively. I'd personally put The Dark Knight and Death Note/Death Note II: The Last Name over half of the MCU films. But by all means, keep spreading that nonsense...

:whatever:

Well considering all the posts about hating Fox unconditionally, I don't see why the same people wouldn't love Marvel Studios unconditionally.

I'm willing to bet half my money that the vast majority of posters here that want Marvel to get the rights back would be completely disgusted at Marvel if they delivered an 8% RT flop that butchered all of their favorite characters...

Depends on how rich they are, hundreds of millions or billionaires? If I had 50 billion in the bank, I'd spend 175 million to make a sequel...a real sequel. Or make one now, sit on it and release it when the rights are almost up.
But I'm tired of MCU worship and the notion that only they do good comic book films so Im probably not thinking clearly.

After 3 failed FF movies, don't you think enough is enough? I don't care if you're a Fox fanboy or not, you don't give the same studio this many chances to screw up a franchise over and over.

Actually Fox made money with their first 2 movies, they may not have stood the test of time ND everyone knows they are corny but they weren't flops.
Well considering all the posts about hating Fox unconditionally, I don't see why the same people wouldn't love Marvel Studios unconditionally.

I've even heard people call for Fox to lose Xmen....For crying out loud people love those movies and they are no where neAR the travesty this movie is. Not even the abominations of X3 and Origins Wolverine were this bad.

After 3 failed FF movies, don't you think enough is enough? I don't care if you're a Fox fanboy or not, you don't give the same studio this many chances to screw up a franchise over and over.

But we do exactly that.

Fox screwed up the Alien franchise 4 times and we gave them a chance with Prometheus and once again with Blomkamp's Alien. Fox screwed up the Predator franchise 3-4 times and we are willing to give Fox another chance with Shane Blacks upcoming predator film. WB screwed up the Batman franchise with BF and B&R and we gave them a chance with Batman Begins. Fox messed up the X-men franchise 2 times and we gave them a chance with First Class.

So really Fox hasnt done anything here that they and other studios havent done before.

But we do exactly that.

Fox screwed up the Alien franchise 4 times and we gave them a chance with Prometheus and once again with Blomkamp's Alien. Fox screwed up the Predator franchise 3-4 times and we are willing to give Fox another chance with Shane Blacks upcoming predator film. WB screwed up the Batman franchise with BF and B&R and we gave them a chance with Batman Begins. Fox messed up the X-men franchise 2 times and we gave them a chance with First Class.

So really Fox hasnt done anything here that they and other studios havent done before.

But all of your examples at least had 1 or more films the franchise that were successful.. FF has had 0 so there's no positive foundation to build on.. So a fourth failure if attempted would be imminent

Actually Fox made money with their first 2 movies, they may not have stood the test of time ND everyone knows they are corny but they weren't flops.

If the second Story film made money we would have gotten a third one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"