Qs you have/ things you liked/disliked about Capt Marvel [SPOILERS]

But he wasn't an Avenger in his film either whereas this film suggests the Avengers was named after Carol. So it almost makes her the first Avenger, or their name sake.

I think Cap US should've had something on him that said Avenger, and that's where Fury got it from. Then Carol could've just been Warbird, and none of this retconning.

Agree. Too many edges filed off to make this one fit.

Agree. Too many edges filed off to make this one fit.

I don't really see how Steve Rogers was the First Avenger anymore now. He wasn't one in his own film, because the Avengers weren't formed yet. He didn't lend any namesake to the team. And he wasn't even really the first one recruited as such. Nick Fury showed up at the end of Iron Man and spoke about the Avenger Initiative before Steve Rogers had even woken up.

And now we find out that Cap Marvel is actually the one with the call sign "Avenger" from where Fury got the name and was even thinking about this project at the time.

And there were other heroes who existed before Cap US. Thor for example, who is an Avenger and was around before Rogers. So Cap US is not even the Avenger who has been around the longest. And if we get the Eternals, and then eventually Sersi joins the Avengers, then in what way at all is Steve Rogers any kind of First Avenger?

Not really a complaint, more of a personal issue, but I'm going to really struggle not calling the cat Chewie. I did like how they kept it a Flerken and gave Rocket's fear/hatred of it to Talos.

Speaking of Talos, I really liked how they handled his character and the Skrulls in the film.

The facts are what the film says about the Skrulls applies to THIS group of refugees. We aren't given a full picture of the Kree/Skrull conflict. In fact Talos intimates he himself has done terrible things in the battles between the two races.

Just because these Skrulls are sympathetic doesn't mean that EVERY Skull is a hard luck case and we certainly don't get a picture of whatever leadership the Skrulls may or may not have.

Then there is the time jump from 1995 til today. Who is to say some event turns the Skrulls militant? Say they find a home but that world is destroyed by a certain purple planet eater? This sends their civilization into a tail spin that allows for religious extremists to come to power. Those militants read their sacred texts as implying Earth should be their new home... Boom. Secret invasion.

And this would be a lot more interesting than a simple tale of evil character the heroes must band against BECAUSE we know that the Skrulls are "people" and that the fight against them isn't merely one of absolute good vs absolute evil.

Isn't that mostly what Secret Invasion was? There was a religious cult of refugees that heard a prophecy that Earth was their new Promised Land (similar to Canaan in Exodus) and invaded so they would have a new home.

Isn't that mostly what Secret Invasion was? There was a religious cult of refugees that heard a prophecy that Earth was their new Promised Land (similar to Canaan in Exodus) and invaded so they would have a new home.
Precisely. My point was even showing us these refugee Skrulls as sympathetic there are still ways you could do a SI gloss in the MCU.

I don't really see how Steve Rogers was the First Avenger...

I wonder if this is thinking too literally. I feel like Steve is the First Avenger in the sense that he’s the first known superhuman on earth.

Besides that, I think that they only called the movie First Avenger because they thought calling it just Captain America would cause it to be a flop outside of North America. :-)

I wonder if this is thinking too literally. I feel like Steve is the First Avenger in the sense that he’s the first known superhuman on earth.

Besides that, I think that they only called the movie First Avenger because they thought calling it just Captain America would cause it to be a flop outside of North America. :-)

That's exactly the reason it has that title.

I'll name three other things I liked about the film.

1. They didn't kill Yon Rogg. It seems like it has almost become cliche to kill off the villains even if there is no real reason to (the worst example being Baron Strucker). So it always pleasantly surprises me when they don't. Carol sending him back to Hala was a better outcome than just having her murder him or some deus ex machina coming along to do it for her.

2. They didn't kill Talos either. This type of character always seems to get killed in these stories and when he got shot I'm like "here we go again," but they actually let him have his happy ending (at least for this film). Sometimes I just like things working out for the better in my escapist entertainment.

3. Since this was mentioned a lot under disliked while reading this thread, I liked how Nick Fury lost his eye. Of all the badass ways he could have lost his eye, it was that. I thought that was great! Especially since he exploits the mystery of it afterwards to boost his reputation.

Was Alta Vista the most representative search engine of the 90s back then? What about Ask Jeeves or Netscape Navigator? I also would've liked seeing her having to wait longer for her search results or even for website to load. And I would've liked to have heard the dial up modem sound.

I mainly used Alta Vista and Webcrawler myself. Netscape Navigator was a browser, not a search engine, and I don't even remember Ask Jeeves. Also, she did have computer issues. The audio file takes a long time to load to the point she asks what is happening and her dial up modem randomly disconnects during the Alta Vista scene.

There's a context here as well. I mean Monica is seeing someone she thought was dead come back to life and the reasoning includes aliens and secret agents. I mean... What kid ISN'T going to focus on that. Your parent could be POTUS and that's kinda gonna pale in comparison.
Which is why her initial awe is warranted but thats not how they should have left it. They could have done more to give Monica and Maria their own character arc/development with Monica coming to the realization that her mother was heroic as well and being inspired by her bravery at the end

I mainly used Alta Vista and Webcrawler myself. Netscape Navigator was a browser, not a search engine, and I don't even remember Ask Jeeves. Also, she did have computer issues. The audio file takes a long time to load to the point she asks what is happening and her dial up modem randomly disconnects during the Alta Vista scene.

I would've liked the dial up sound though. I remember it so well at the start of the internet age with that sound and it signalled that you were about to connect to the world wide web. There was a sense of anticipation.

It's becoming increasing difficult to talk to some people about a pre-internet age these days, because some people have no concept of that, or of a pre-mobile phone era.

Which is why her initial awe is warranted but thats not how they should have left it. They could have done more to give Monica and Maria their own character arc/development with Monica coming to the realization that her mother was heroic as well and being inspired by her bravery at the end

In general I didn't really buy their reactions to seeing Carol alive. Monica maybe since she was a kid and who knows how they will react, but definitely not Maria. I expected a little more shock, joy, and amazement. The reaction of their dear friend who was thought to be dead for six years showing up at the door was more akin to having a pizza delivery guy arrive. It had me suspecting they were Skrulls.

I still think they should've found a way to give her the name Captain Marvel. How is she that character at all? Mar-Vell is still Annette Bening. Carol never took that name. And no-one ever called her Captain Danvers. It was only when Fury saw her name on the side of the plane at the end that we even saw her military rank.

Even Monica could've called her that in response to when Carol called her Lieutenant Trouble.

This may have something to do with the story being about the character reclaiming her identity as Carol.

It's about her piecing that back together, as communicated by the dog tag split in half. The Kree call her "-vers." Finally she says her name while confronting the Supreme Intelligence.

The Captain Marvel aspect is implied via Mar-vell, but the writers may have wanted the emphasis on Carol Danvers at this stage. I think that makes sense.

Last edited:
Eh.. Given that she goads her mom to take part in a dangerous excursion into space I think it's reasonable to assume that she already respected and idolized her FIGHTER PILOT Airforce vet mom.

Had a weird experience walking out of the theatre. My first thought, apropos of nothing really, was that I'm curious now with Carol being introduced the way that she has been, will we ever see a proper Nova in the MCU (given Feige's previous statement saying they are interested). His powers are pretty comparable to Carol's (give or take strength levels), and the fact she goes off to space leads me to believe that her films going forward will likely take place mostly in space, like the Guardians. Or am I over thinking this?

Edit: I'm talking the Richard Rider version, not Sam.

It feels like the studio's plans for the cosmic aspect of the MCU have changed quite a bit over time, and are still changing, so I think it's hard to say.

At one time early on, it seemed like the Asgardians were supposed to have a big presence, but they have since moved away from that.

It's possible that a Nova movie was being considered at one time after Guardians, but that Captain Marvel took precedence.

I'll name three other things I liked about the film.

3. Since this was mentioned a lot under disliked while reading this thread, I liked how Nick Fury lost his eye. Of all the badass ways he could have lost his eye, it was that. I thought that was great! Especially since he exploits the mystery of it afterwards to boost his reputation.

I liked it as well. It's also not the first time some pop culture figure's "secret" is not what you think it is. Indiana Jones' real name and where Indiana comes from. Stay Puft Marshmallow Man.

Had a weird experience walking out of the theatre. My first thought, apropos of nothing really, was that I'm curious now with Carol being introduced the way that she has been, will we ever see a proper Nova in the MCU (given Feige's previous statement saying they are interested). His powers are pretty comparable to Carol's (give or take strength levels), and the fact she goes off to space leads me to believe that her films going forward will likely take place mostly in space, like the Guardians. Or am I over thinking this?

Edit: I'm talking the Richard Rider version, not Sam.
Given that we are never really told what the underlying cause of the conflict between Xandar and the Kree was in GOTG I think you could get some kind of MCU Nova origin by tying it into Carol's time in space.

Richard Ryder starts off as a very young character so I think a mentor/mentee kinda deal with him and Carol could be done.

Nova makes a lot of sense and I think it's only a matter of time. Especially after what happened in Infinity War.

I think introducing Richard in the third film could be a possibility. He's one character I've been clamoring for for a while

Nova makes a lot of sense and I think it's only a matter of time. Especially after what happened in Infinity War.

I think introducing Richard in the third film could be a possibility. He's one character I've been clamoring for for a while

Same. I love Nova, and would love to see an expansion of the cosmic side, seeing as we only really have Guardians, IW, and now Captain Marvel to an extent.

I think the idea of Carol being a mentor makes some sense or even duplicating the "buddy cop" aspects of this film as well. Unless they went with Sam. Which... I mean... I guess?

I still think they should've found a way to give her the name Captain Marvel. How is she that character at all? Mar-Vell is still Annette Bening. Carol never took that name. And no-one ever called her Captain Danvers. It was only when Fury saw her name on the side of the plane at the end that we even saw her military rank.

Even Monica could've called her that in response to when Carol called her Lieutenant Trouble.
I assumed they didn't because they have a plan for it, perhaps in Endgame.

Last edited:
1. I'll be honest I dislike the silly way in which Fury lost his eye. I don't necessarily mind that it was Goose. But it was so dorky and doesn't fit the deeper mythos that had been developed.

2. I don't like that Carol was "The Avenger" and the inspiration for Fury developing the Avenger Initiative. I thought Steve Rogers was the inspiration.

3. The entire GA had now left the theaters thinking Skrulls are good guys?

4. Some of the major action scenes (while beautiful) were very short lived.

5. Too much quipping about her glowing and her "fire fists" reminded me of Netflix's Iron Fist.

6. Too little explanation. How was pegasus going to end the war? Why are all the Kree so different looking from one another? Are they all battle slaves?

7. Mid credits scene a ****in spoiler for Endgame. I hate it.

That's all I got right now.

Disliked: The lack of time spent on the Kree home world. I had the same issue with Black Panther and Wakanda.

Would have liked to see more of how there society functions. What are the Kree starforce, and Ronan the accusers relationship with Kree society.

What are the Kree's relationship with there surrounding galaxy. Do they have tension with the Xanderians.

Just small touches and references. Nothing too in depth.

Liked: Honestly can't really fault the plot and character development. I like how her powers tied into the tesseract. There's a general complaint about her being a Mary Sue, but she got caught twice by the Skrull and the Kree. She wasn't perfect throughout. And tbh being perfect isn't always a bad thing if your watching a power fantasy.

She wasn't anymore "perfect" than Blade in the first Blade movie, who flawlessly tore through his enemies and also got caught twice and escaped both times like CM.

Edit: Also liked the Skrull twist. The movie was getting very cliched up till that point. I like how it tied into Mar-Vell's mission on Earth too.

Why wait till a 3rd film. I think after the 3rd Guardians movie, a Nova franchise would be a perfect spiritual continuation of the cosmic MCU. And if Guardians 3 doesn't happen then that's even more reason to green light Nova.

The creation of the Nova force would be a reaction to the destruction of Xander, and the need to protect themselves from future attacks. They could even set up the first part of the movie with Thano's initial attack. Then do a time jump "10 years later..."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"