Quicksilver vs. Quicksilver: Which version did you prefer the most?

I wouldn't put too much stock in any conclusions made from this thread or its poll considering the thread was made (and votes cast) last year before XM:A was released which has skewed current perceptions.

While I definitely prefer the MCU version, I have to take issue with the "Fox Quicksilver has the wrong powerset" arguments. He has *exactly* the powerset the comic version has: superspeed. His is a little more powerful than he often was, in that he's multimach superspeed rather than just mach 1 superspeed, but that's what he's been since the late 90s, anyway.

The only thing the movie does, is not have Quicksilver job out in the ways he usually does in the comic. He doesn't forget that he has superspeed, and ram his head into someone's relatively-stationary fist.

I say MCU
he was more likeable, looked a bit more like the comic, and I liked the way his running powers were done, it was more 'sustainable' than the super slomo in DOFP and Apocalypse which can get boring very quickly (hence so many reviews yawning at his scene this time around)

He wasnt dull. If amarvel wouldve gave him a few more films then he wouldve become a fan favorite. Bet on it.
I loved ATJ in Kick-Ass. But he was dull as all hell in Godzilla and Ultron.

While I definitely prefer the MCU version, I have to take issue with the "Fox Quicksilver has the wrong powerset" arguments. He has *exactly* the powerset the comic version has: superspeed. His is a little more powerful than he often was, in that he's multimach superspeed rather than just mach 1 superspeed, but that's what he's been since the late 90s, anyway.

The only thing the movie does, is not have Quicksilver job out in the ways he usually does in the comic. He doesn't forget that he has superspeed, and ram his head into someone's relatively-stationary fist.

He's not just a little more powerful.

Running back and forth, carrying out all the students in that school, would take a very long time at normal speed, even if you don't get tired. He did that in what's probably well under a second, given that explosions are really fast.

Yeah, Peter not only can travel at astonishing speeds - one estimate had the FOX version of Quicksilver traveling at nearly 10,000,0000 miles during certain sections of The Extraction - he apparently has picked up superhuman strength somewhere along the way. Fun scene, but may have painted the next writer and director into a bit of a corner. What villain could post a threat to a team featuring Pete and Jean?

Fox Quicksilver is a different character than even in the books. Fox Quicksivler is an original invention who has no twin sister, and is more Wally West than Pietro. The closest version would be the one in X-men Evolutions but even then there are distinct differences.

Marvel's was the closest to the comic version, but I wish they hadn't have killed him off. But I get that Wanda is the more interesting one anyway.

Fox Quicksilver is a different character than even in the books. Fox Quicksivler is an original invention who has no twin sister, and is more Wally West than Pietro. The closest version would be the one in X-men Evolutions but even then there are distinct differences.
More like Bart Allen, impulsive actions.

TBH the Fox Quicksilver's powers may have been awesome, but he was just... weird.. annoying... and even slightly creepy to me. (He kinda gave me a Willy Wonka vibe... maybe because of the goggles and the licking of the liquid cheese or whatever that was...)

In the comics I'm not a big fan of Quicksilver either. But I like the comic book version better than Fox.

Pietro Maximoff from AoU in the MCU made me love the character. He may have been a bit of a jerk, but more of funny and quippy, while being on the wrong side. (Like Spider-Man in the MCU's Civil War :rolleyes:) Once he became a good guy, It made me love him even more. I started to think how great it would be to have this dude around, and to have a dude with his powers too. Then he died and I actually felt sad, for a character who had just been introduced and I disliked previously.

That makes him the clear winner of these two IMO. I want him back.

One thing I'm disappointed in, is that in killing off the MCU Quicksilver, we don't get to see Pietro's reaction to Wanda and Visions growing relationship. I really would like to have seen a second shot at Pietro, but that's clearly not in the cards.

Apparently neither Fox nor Marvel finds him very compelling because one studio killed him off, and the other made him a totally different character nothing like the comics.

Marvel killed him off because they did not want to compete with the very well received Fox one. That sucks, but to be fair the one in Ultron was pretty boring.

^That's total nonsense. The first draft of the script for AoU had already been written before Fox announced they were using QS.

Marvel killed him off because they did not want to compete with the very well received Fox one. That sucks, but to be fair the one in Ultron was pretty boring.

To be fair, if the Quicksilver in Ultron had the same powers as Foxy Pete the Avengers would have been curb stomped during the opening attack on the HYDRA base.

They were used for different purposes. QS was simply a Deus EX Machina to get Magneto out of jail. He was never supposed to be in the film, originally it was Juggernaut, but when Marvel announced they were using Wanda and Pietro, Kinberg changed the script.

Whether someone finds him "boring" is subjective, AoU Quicksilver has a character arc and a purpose to the plot.

It's funny. I remember Quicksilver being announced in the MCU weeks after DOFP had started filming. That didn't stop quite a few people from being convinced that the sole purpose FOX announced him a bit after that was "to spite Marvel". Which was far more implausible taking into account how deep into production the film was.

Somehow there's always some good will with one studio or the other from certain fans. My point is if that was the other way around most people wouldn't question it so passionately if at all. And it goes the other way around too.

I, on the other hand am not entirely convinced that they killed him off for that reason but I certainly wouldn't rule it out either. After all we're talking about the first draft here.

^ You remember wrong then. Whedon announced Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch being in Age of Ultron and then Fox announced Quicksilver for DOFP.

http://www.themarysue.com/quicksilver-in-singer-xmen/

Later it was found out that an early draft of the script had Juggernaut breaking Magneto out of prison and was changed.

^ You remember wrong then.
Not really, it doesn't contradict what I said. :oldrazz:
Whedon announced it first and then Singer after a while. But DOFP was already filming by the time the first announcement came in. Do we really think that the point they changed the script was after weeks into production?

But even if they did, that basically proves my point. If it could happen why is it so implausible all of a sudden for Whedon to do the same? Which by the way I think it's far easier to just change the ending than add a whole character.

I just feel that one party is immediately given the benefit of a doubt while the other is being judged more harshly. And again, that goes for either side of fans that supports one studio over the other.

Last edited:
^ Um yeah we know they did because they changed the script. None of the QS scenes were filmed because Fox's announcement came on the heels of announcing Evan Peters casting. Or are you saying they filmed his scenes before they announced his hiring? Because you know it doesn't work that way in Hollywood. Casting are public information, they don't have to say the role, but they do have to announce the casting.

Obviously Fox changed the script. The question is at what point. No one knows when the final script was delivered, you just assume it was then. The fact that they changed it after Whedon's announcement is pure speculation. I find it very hard to believe that a studio would change the script halfway through filming a multimillion dollar movie like that. Hollywood doesn't work that way either.

For what it's worth I find it very likely that each studio already knew the plans the other had for the character since they made the deal to use them both, way before any announcement was made publicly.

There's no conspiracy theory, and I don't think either studio "stole the plans". It's likely that Marvel in the dealing days probably thought they could license both an Avengers film and a X-men film, so having crossover characters licensed to different studios probably made sense.

I would disagree with you and say that neither studio knew what the other ones plans were. Marvel and Fox hadn't co-produced a film in years, and studios generally don't share scripts with each other.

Whedon announced and when he did it probably threw Fox for a loop that they were including him. The point is they had not closed the deal with Evan Peters before Singer announced.

Neither. Though Peters' breakout DOFP scene clearly one-upped ATJ's boring version from AOU, the rest of Fox's Quicksilver appearances since then, in Apocalypse and Dark Phoenix, negates any goodwill Fox had with him.

Yeah I loved Quicksilver in Dofp but Apocalypse/Dark PhoeniX, not @ all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"