Raimi goes for old school pulp fictiion

green

fear is the mind killer
Reaction score
http://movies.ign.com/articles/749/749557p1.html

Exclusive: Sam Raimi's Pulp Fiction
From Spidey to The Shadow and Doc Savage?!
by Stax
December 6, 2006 - IGN has learned that several pulp heroes of yesteryear will be brought to life on the big-screen courtesy of none other than Dark Man and Spider-Man filmmaker Sam Raimi.

The project would unite a number of famous pulp heroes from Street and Smith Publications, which had once been among the top pulp publishers.

Characters that we were informed would be included in the film are Doc Savage, The Shadow and The Avenger, and quite possibly other (or all) major Street and Smith characters.

Street and Smith's titles included The Wizard & Cash Gorman, Crime Busters, The Skipper, The Whisperer, Bill Barnes Air Trails, Nick Carter Magazine, Pete Rice Magazine and Unknown, as well as other crime and Western books.

Additional sources advised us that Raimi is directing the project, which IGN was told would be written by a screenwriter named Siavash Farahani (Ingenue). Farahani, we were also advised, wrote a screenplay for a big-screen version of the CrossGen comic Ruse for Disney.

The Shadow was previously brought to the screen in 1994 with Alec Baldwin as the title character. A Doc Savage movie had long been in-development, attracting the likes of Arnold Schwarzeneggar, James Cameron and Frank Darabont at various points.

Sounds cool. Hopefully it won't be crap like League of Gentlmen

Echoes of "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" or even the team of pulp heroes lookalike from Planetary.

Doc Savage, The Avenger, Shadow? LOL this sounds like comedy gold... though I know its based on old school comic heros...

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/30905
Hey folks, Harry here... Over at IGN - Stax is running a story about how Sam Raimi has allegedly committed to direct a project that would unite the classic Street & Smith Publications characters - like Doc Savage, The Avenger, The Shadow and possibly the rest of their heroes gallery and rogues gallery into the mother of all pulp projects. You can read their story at the link above.

Well. I'm not going to say the story is wrong, as I haven't spoken directly with Sam Raimi - though I do have a call into his office. But for the last year I've been tracking Raimi's development of Street and Smith Publications.

You see. Sam's biggest passion from their catalogue is THE SHADOW. Prior to Alec Baldwin getting a nose in on the gig, Raimi was attempting to get the property at Universal - with the Coen Brothers set to write it up for him to direct. That fell through - and he made DARKMAN as a reaction. It was around this same time that he lost out on BATMAN. However, Marty Bregman thought the HIGHLANDER guy was the better route to go. Eh... 20/20 is a *****.

In the last year or so - I've heard that Raimi has been taking meetings with various directors to discuss a possible DOC SAVAGE film. But closer to home, I've heard that Raimi had found a writer for his THE SHADOW movie, but that no commitments were in hand, as of yet.

As for the whole Street and Smith character library - It's possible that Raimi just optioned them all with that big SPIDER-MAN money and in reality was planning this project that IGN has a scoop on. HOWEVER - this is all rumor at this point.

Like I said. I know for a fact that THE SHADOW and DOC SAVAGE are separate projects that were being developed as separate projects at least 4 months ago. I'll continue to knock on Raimi's door to get to the truth, but at this point the only one that knows for sure, is his Shadow...

Nice...I love when reports contradict.

I have to admit it does sound odd to have all the characters in one movie. I prefer Harry's version.

I would rather see Darkman redone.:o

I'm glad Raimi got to make Darkman instead cause that movie rocks but if he wants to make The Shadow so badly then let him do it. I'm sure it'll kick butt.

Its to bad he lost out on Batman. I would have loved to have seen what he would have done with the character. I wish he would do The Spectre. A 1940's crime drama/ ghost story would kick alot of arse.

Ace 66 said:
I wish he would do The Spectre. A 1940's crime drama/ ghost story would kick alot of arse.

With Bruce Campbell nonetheless. :woot:

green said:
... The Shadow was previously brought to the screen in 1994 with Alec Baldwin as the title character....

:dry: We do not speak of things such as there... :dry:

Catman said:

league

yeah, I loved Baldwin as The Shadow. He looked cool and the movie is vastly underrated.

I mean, it break any new ground, but it was great for the early 90s.

Catman said:
i take it you mean league of EXTRAORDINARY gentlemen:ninja:

It means Spider-Man 4 without Raimi.

i wonder what raimi's take on a doc savage movie would be like?

A Sam Raimi film with The Shadow in it!? Awesome!!!! :up:

The Shadow was VERY cool.
Yeah they seriously messed up LXG.
I hope he does Doc Savage or something along those lines. I liked The Mummy because it had that pulp flavor.
The Shadow, Rocketeer, SkyCaptain. Love those types of movies. Maybe they should make Buck Rogers now that the Disco era is over. Do it properly and do it before they decide to remake Flash Gordon which was a rip off of Buck Rogers.

Raiders of the Lost Ark is still my all time favorite movie.

Sounds cool, I love Pulp Fiction:up:

As alot of posters know, if these two are in the same movie, I will have an extreme geekasm...

phantom-movie.jpg

42.jpg

..........10000x

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"