Sam Raimi goes pulp!

tecnowraith

Sidekick
Reaction score
From Dark Horizons comes word Sam Raimi is going into realm of pulp heores. Not just of one them, but all them, like his version of LXG. It's an interesting idea that The Shadow, The Spider, Doc Savage, Fu Manchu and the rest of the pulp hero genre will be in one big movie franchise.

verrry cool. :up:
to see The Shadow trying to get along w/ Doc Savage will be worth the price of admission alone...that is if Raimi stays true to the characters

bring it on mr raimi asap by all means

BIGGUN said:
to see The Shadow trying to get along w/ Doc Savage will be worth the price of admission alone...that is if Raimi stays true to the characters
Hell yeah

BIGGUN said:
don't forget doc's aides monk and ham:ninja:

Fu Manchu needs to be the villain.

It's just The Shadow. :D

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/30942

Sam Raimi is bringing back THE SHADOW, whose rights were recently acquired by Columbia.
Siavash Farahani is already locked to write the script.

While Raimi will produce the film, there's no news about whether he'll direct THE SHADOW -- his continuance with the SPIDER-MAN franchise is unclear post SPIDER-MAN 3 & this would certainly seem like a logical possibility. Then again, he may opt for a different genre for his next film...a change of pace...considering how damn long he's been with Spidey.

http://www.moviehole.net/news/20061211_the_shadow_strikes_back.html

Though it mightn't be Alec Baldwin donning the nose and charcoal hat - as was the case with the 1994 film - "The Shadow" is returning to cinemas.

Sam Raimi and Columbia Pictures will team up to produce a new film version on the cult comic character. The "Spider-Man" helmer is expected to only produce the film at this stage.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, the film is the first of several Street & Smith properties that Raimi plans to bring to the screen. He's also eyeing ventures for, among others, "Doc Savage" and "The Avenger".

Columbia has set Siavash Farahani to write the screenplay.

"The Shadow" debuted in 1931 on a CBS radio show which aimed to boost the magazine circulation of sponsor Street & Smith. The character was actually the moniker for the announcer, and listeners began demanding stories based on the name.

Walter B. Gibson created the character, writing the adventures of a crime-fighter who skulked in shadows wearing a hat and cape, and who had the power to cloud men's minds.

The Shadow became one of the greatest pulp heroes of the time, and the radio series, which featured a young Orson Welles, spawned the catchphrase "Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? The Shadow knows!"

The character proved a merchandising bonanza, was the subject of seminal comic books, and influenced an array of pop culture, from Batman to "V for Vendetta."

The character moved to the screen, becoming the hero of several movies in late '30s and '40s, a Columbia cliffhanger serial starring Victor Jory, and a couple of TV series in the early days of television.

The Shadow's most recent incarnation was a big-budget 1994 feature from Universal starring Alec Baldwin and directed by Russell Mulcahy. The movie didn't fare well at the boxoffice, quashing a hoped-for franchise.

A "Shadow" movie has long been a dream project for Raimi, and the crime-fighter's influence can be seen in Raimi's 1990 movie, "Darkman."

"I've been a passionate Shadow fan ever since I was a kid and have long dreamed of bringing this character to the screen," Raimi said. He is not attached to direct at this time.

After "Spider-Man 3" opens in May, the future of the Raimi-directed mega-successful franchise becomes an open question. Star Tobey Maguire has not committed to doing more. And Columbia is relishing having Raimi's cinematic fingers on another action hero.

"We're thrilled to be re-teaming with Sam as he brings another legendary comic book character to a new generation of fans," Columbia president of production Matt Tolmach said. "This property is in the perfect hands."

I CANNOT WAIT!!

The Question said:
Fu Manchu needs to be the villain.

But Fu Manchu's arch-nemesis was Nayland Smith. (No relation to Wayland Smithers of the Simpsons)

Not unless they cast Alec Baldwin again.

Mr. Raimi, it's too soon.

If you must remake a pulp character, try Green Hornet, Phantom, Phantom Lady, or Black Archer.

I disagree.

It's not too soon for another Shadow movie (especially a reboot).

And as far as any Baldwin brother goes, they need not apply.

This is good news.

Alec Baldwin made a great Shadow, but he isn't any more right for the role than Val Kilmer would be for Batman at this point.

Red Mask said:
But Fu Manchu's arch-nemesis was Nayland Smith. (No relation to Wayland Smithers of the Simpsons)

Fu Manchu is also an international terrorist. He's capable of fighting someone other than Smith. Besides, Doc Savage VS. Fu Manchu = freakin' badass.

Ben Breeck said:
Not unless they cast Alec Baldwin again.

Mr. Raimi, it's too soon.

If you must remake a pulp character, try Green Hornet, Phantom, Phantom Lady, or Black Archer.
or better yet DOC SAVAGE:ninja:

shadowm1.jpg

The Question said:
Fu Manchu is also an international terrorist. He's capable of fighting someone other than Smith. Besides, Doc Savage VS. Fu Manchu = freakin' badass.

It would be cool if they mentioned Nayland Smith. Then it's revealed he became a hopeless opium addict from a poisoned vial of the Elixir of life. :woot:

But Raimi and partner don't have the rights to Fu Manchu. It appears the Rohmer estate still owns the rights to the name. They're represented by the Society of Authors, and the Authors League of America.

Although I don't want Raimi to get stuck in the "I only direct comicbook movies" thing that Singer is stuck in, if he directs I'll be their with bells on.

I hope Raimi doesn't direct. He has after all, already made Darkman.

Red Mask said:
It would be cool if they mentioned Nayland Smith. Then it's revealed he became a hopeless opium addict from a poisoned vial of the Elixir of life. :woot:

But Raimi and partner don't have the rights to Fu Manchu. It appears the Rohmer estate still owns the rights to the name. They're represented by the Society of Authors, and the Authors League of America.

Still, if he could aquire the rights, it would be bloody awesome. Just imagine it. Lamont Cranson, Dr. Charles Savage, and some other characters are all atending this big part in Washington DC. All sorts of poloticians and important people there. Then, a wall explodes and a bunch of guys with swords rush in. The last guy to walk in is Fu Manchu, saying "I am Professor Fu Manchu. I am here to make a new world."

The Question said:
Still, if he could aquire the rights, it would be bloody awesome. Just imagine it. Lamont Cranson, Dr. Charles Savage, and some other characters are all atending this big part in Washington DC. All sorts of poloticians and important people there. Then, a wall explodes and a bunch of guys with swords rush in. The last guy to walk in is Fu Manchu, saying "I am Professor Fu Manchu. I am here to make a new world."
dr CLARK SAVAGE JR is doc's real name

3dman27 said:
dr CLARK SAVAGE JR is doc's real name

Crap, for some reason I thought it was Charles for a moment. :huh:

*TV Narrator Voice*

...and with that stunning confession The Question had sealed his fate - by the episode's end he would be voted out of the Fortress of Solitude.

*end TV Narrator Voice*

I can't wait to see the new Shadow movie - the '94 film from Universal was 'okay' but it has several problems preventing it from being a truly great pulp/comic movie. With Sam Raimi and Michael Uslan both connected to the film I have high hopes we'll see something truly magnificent.

On the 6th AICN's Harry Knowles himself weighed in on the reports - {yeah I know, AICN can be frustrating but does have some good info from time to time} and said that as of 4 months ago The Shadow and Doc Savage were being developed as two seperate movies.

Read it here: http://www.aintitcool.com/node/30905

The idea of a 'team-up' type movie still has it's appeal though {and if Sony/Columbia-Tristar have the rights then why not?}. The movie could turn out pretty good, but I don't think it would really need more than The Shadow & his agents and Doc Savage & his team - that's easily 11-12 characters right there. But it would be pretty cool to see Nick Carter in the movie - in his original detective incarnation of course [first appeared 1886, one year before Sherlock Holmes].

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"