The Defenders RATE then REVIEW the Defenders!

Reaction score
I'm giving a 7.5.

I like how short this show is and that a lot of episodes didn't feel like ten minutes too long. I also like how action packed this is and this is probably the one NeflixMarvel show that didn't bore me and that I didn't find dragging. If only the other Netflix Marvel shows would be shorten to eight episodes. I like they got rid of the yellow color grading which just looked cheap in the previous shows. I like the interaction from the characters from the four shows.

Though Alexandra was weak and an after thought. I thought Elektra was the only villain that was good. I wasn't really into with Bakuto, Dow and the other Hand guy. I wish their villains were as interesting as the Defenders. To me it was just like some random Hand members plus Elektra. I also wish Iron Fist had a new costume. Overall, it was good to okay. The cross over element is the.most memorable aspect of the show, but the villains and the over all story could have been more epic.

Last edited:
6, very bare bone plot which not much going on (which is to be expected with seasons that short) and underwritten villains with a ridiculous master plan.

but at least Danny/Luke had great chemistry together and the banter between the 4 made show watchable

I GREATLY enjoyed this series. A Solid B+. A couple of things I was disappointed with which could've given it an A, easily, which I'll get into in just a sec.

But, imo, what made this show work so well was that this truly felt like a merging of not only the four characters but the characters' worlds. One of the things that I was slightly disappointed with in Joss Whedon's THE AVENGERS is that I was wanting the movie to not only be about the characters coming together, I wanted their WORLDS to come together and intersect with each other. Now, for a 2 hour movie, its understandable, I suppose, due to obvious time constraints, but that is what I LOVED about THE DEFENDERS. We got to see everybody and their supporting casts interact with each other and form new alliances, bonds, friendships etc. And because of it, their worlds feel richer now.

But the main characters themselves, when they finally get together and team up, it is special. They feel like a dysfunctional family who, despite their bickering, have each others' backs at the end of the day. And by the end they definitely do feel like a family. And kudos to the actors for really selling that. Their banter and chemistry is so well written and well acted.

My quibbles: I was really let down that they didn't put Danny in the costume. Finn Jones kept saying in interviews that Danny completes his arc by the end of this show and comes to terms with his destiny....so why didn't it feel that way by the end? Why are the show runners so stubbornly adamant against this? Are they that afraid the costume is going to look silly in live action?

Also, regarding Iron Fist, while Finn Jones was much better written in this show, he is still a weak link. When he's interacting with Cox, Colter and Ritter, he works, when he's left of his own devices I'm sorry I just don't buy Jones as Iron Fist. Every time he says "I'm the immortal Iron Fist" I don't buy it, I just...don't. I almost wanna laugh at him like his teammates when he says those things. I think there's a better actor out there who really could have made Danny Rand the charismatic, fun-loving guy of the group that he is supposed to be but alas, I hope he improves in the future.

The fight scenes, while, for the most part excellently well done, there are times where I feel they get a little sloppy and I can't tell what's going on. I think some of the scenes could have used polish in editing

Overall. A strong effort from Marvel and a nice rebound from Iron Fist.

8.5/10

Last edited:
A solid show. I enjoyed the interactions between the characters, and some glimpses of the Iron Fist I know from the comics. A solid 8/10 for me.

Thought it was disappointing. Enjoyed it more then Cage and Iron Fist but nowhere near Daredevil Season 1 and 2 or Jessica Jones.

7/10

I was really into until about episode 6 when it sort of went off a cliff. And then when we found out The Hand's master plan.

I guess a 6 or 7/10. To me it's above Iron Fist, but below every other Marvel Netflix show.

B-

Good. But not as GREAT as I anticipated. But still something worthy of enjoyment, mostly due to the characters and their natural charisma with one another.

The finale was somewhat lackluster, but I did thoroughly enjoy it. The first 5 episodes alone are pretty great even though that's mostly because of the character interactions. It just needed more time to develop the supporting characters as well as the villains IMO.

I'd give it a B+ or an 8/10.

8/10.

Pros: Banter. Humor. Iron Fist was actually likable.

Cons: Plot holes. Hand were weak villains with weak motivations.

8.5/10

I hope from now on they can stop putting so much focus on the Hand.

I liked it, wish I loved it. It was good, but not great. I think things got predictable after about Ep5.

The Hand didn't feel imposing and I never really bought into their plan because it seemed like they didn't have one.

I just got finished watching The Defenders. There was some great interactions between the group and some of the fight sequences were fun to watch, and while I enjoyed it, it still could have been a lot better. I gave it a 7

Surfer

I gave it an 8. It gave me everything I was hoping for except for a strong villain/threat. But the character dynamics and fight scenes were great, and those were the main things I was here for. I rate it just behind DD and JJ, and waaaaay above Luke Cage and Iron Fist.

what's what the Luke Cage hate?

For me it had the best half of any MCU series but the second half was so pitiful that IMO that's what kept it from being the best series around. JJ is probably the best from a critical perspective, though it definitely was a crunch to get all the way through.

I think Luke Cage had a really underwhelming set of characters (including Luke himself, who bored me in his own show, yet I enjoyed him here), and the one truly compelling character they had...well, you know. DD and JJ were FAR more compelling for me. JJ being harder to watch just made me appreciate it more, lol. There's was just more going on psychologically/thematically for me to chew on, I guess. And Kilgrave remains my favorite screen Marvel villain to date. I didn't think think they'd be able to top Kingpin in terms of menace, but they most certainly did, imo.

My rating's already up there. This seemed to have a similar issue as DDs2 and Iron Fist wherein the Hand story was just not that interesting or they kept spinning wheels with the plot.

I had the first 2 episodes in the background because I'd figure that would be a lot of set-up/recap, which didn't end until the first major fight in the 3rd. The cinematography and music choice (might just be LC) was the highlight of those episodes as it kept switching between the four vantage points.
Episode 4 was the peak even though it was light on action, but obviously made up for that with strong interaction. This was then proceeded by the worst of the season, mostly because that action set piece was shoddily edited. Then, the pace is back to really slow (gotta keep IF in place + gotta get out of this precinct) right before the big twist of ep 7 and then the "alright" finale. DeKnight, please come back and inject your choreographic sensibilities.

I'm thinking it's the actor at this point because I'm not noticing the improvement with Danny. They're sticking to that nitwit portrayal & I chuckled when he had that K'un-Lun fever dream because his acting felt melodramatic.
All the other major players were fine. Would have definitely preferred to get to know more about the villains than watch the heroes barely do much for 20-30 minutes. The restaurant setting was the only exception as that's how they're getting caught up on each other for the first time.

My nitpicks dropped from 10 to a 8.

Wish the Hand was more Asian and that the grunts wore Red outfits like DD s2.

No costume for Iron Fist at the end

No official team status at the end

Also wish it was 13 episodes instead of 8.

Action could've been a lot better

But I loved the show and can't wait for Season 2

Last edited:
Just finished it. It was alright, not great though. Gonna give it an 8/10. For a better perspective, here's my ranking of the Netflix shows:

1. Daredevil 1
2. Jessica Jones
3. Daredevil 2
4/5. Defenders and Luke Cage (They're interchangeable)
6. Iron Fist

I expected more though, so I'm a little disappointed.

8 outta 10. Have a lot to think about. Kinda wasted Siggie Weaves, and The Hand's plan was too vague, for too long. But everything else was pretty top notch. Loved the banter, the interactions, the action. Hell, they salvaged Danny. I liked him a lot here. A very good crossover and man, I can't wait to see more of that.

Just finished it. It was alright, not great though. Gonna give it an 8/10. For a better perspective, here's my ranking of the Netflix shows:

1. Daredevil 1
2. Jessica Jones
3. Daredevil 2
4/5. Defenders and Luke Cage (They're interchangeable)
6. Iron Fist

I expected more though, so I'm a little disappointed.

8/10 is an "alright"?

I gave it a 7. It had some great moments but no major things that made me super excited.

- Sigourney Weaver was wasted. You have this amazing actress and she doesn't even have a moment to really feel like a threat. I feel like they should have gone with making her the Beast and at least having some glowing eyes for a moment before being killed or something.
- Elektra was great and was still a joy to watch. Though I'm curious if she made it out alive.
- Finn Jones still can't act and I got so tired of hearing him say he was "the Iron Fist" and his "chi"

Overall, it was ok. Kind of mad that Iron Fist ruined the Hand a little. While their presence in DD S2 had it's issues, it at least felt like they were a threat. Iron Fist brought in Bakuto and muddied the waters with Gao.

7.5. I felt a little bit underwhelmed but I must say it serviced all the characters well, and that's no small feat.

I gave it an 8.
Not as good as DD or JJ but better than IF or LC.
I did enjoy the rather slow start of the show and how everyone got linked to the main plot. I think the motivation of the Hand was pretty good. We got a lot of backstory on all players and why they act the way they do.
Elektra vs Matt was the highlight of the show. What a bittersweet moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"