The Defenders RATE then REVIEW the Defenders!

In my main review, I gave it an 8.5, so I'm going to round up to 9. This is my favorite Marvel Netflix series behind DD season 2 and Jessica Jones. My only real complaint was some things felt a bit rushed with only 8 episodes, but the story telling was a lot more efficient, unlike Iron Fist which seemed to jump all over the place.

Charlie Cox makes me forget that Ben Affleck ever tried to be Daredevil and Affleck's performance as DD looks like that cheesy low budget Captain America movie compared to Cox's performance.

why again doesn't this Matt Murdock have red hair? Even Affleck went redhead in his film.

6/10. It was rather disappointing.

-The Hand's master plan kind of sucked in the end. That's "strike three" as far as making them interesting/menacing in the MCU for me, I don't care about them anymore.
-Sigourney Weaver's character ended being really disappointing to.
-Danny still sucks.
-Wasn't a fan of what they did with Elektra.
-Certain other plot-threads/characters didn't pay off either.
-The team dynamic overall was underwhelming.
-Etc.

On the flip side, forget a Luke/Danny spinoff, I want a Matt/Jessica spinoff. Because their dynamic was actually fun.

Overall, not really worth all of the buildup imo.

7/10.

Matt is great, Jessica is great, Stick was great, and the action between Matt and Elektra was great. I also enjoyed seeing Jessica and Luke settle that dangling thread from her series, albeit it should not have been saved for their very last scene of the season.

With that said, the actual threat presented by the Hand was pretty lousy. The Hand other than the Hospital scene in DD Season 2 have always kind of sucked on these Netflix shows, and while they overall improved from DDS2 (because they weren't stealing time here away from the far more interesting Punisher vs. Daredevil storyline), their lameness hurt The Defenders.

Also the finale was pretty limp for me, because only Cox and the Elektra actress are really good at the martial arts stunts, and the bad blue screen work.

But hey, I loved how they set up Daredevil Season 3, wrapped up (hopefully for good) the Elektra/Hand stuff, wrapped up the Stick conflict for Mattie, and all the scenes of the group together just talking.

So 7/10. Not great, but enjoyable.

Finished all of Defenders and I really liked it. Solid 8.5/10 all day long.

The finale did have me stunned to be honest.

The Hand's final motivations after they had their main goal in hand (so to speak) was fuzzy to me and I expected more from Sigorney's villain but overall I loved the Hand.

Matt was superb as usual.

Jessica Jones was a one note bore as usual. I pray they write her with an actual personality in her season two. This moopy drunk is wearing thin no matter how cute she is or how many butt shots in jeans they give us.

Danny definitely grew a bit as Iron Fist. About time. Still the "thundering dumbass" Stick labeled him as at this point, however.

Luke Cage was steady and ever so cool.

So glad they gave Colleen Wing the most screen time of any of the supporting cast. She's awesome.

the Defenders team dynamic was really good, even the attempts to try to rope in all the other secondary characters was also highly appreciated. its just that the villains-- the Hand leaders-- werent really that impressive. in fact a lot of the characters and plot points didnt live up to the promise. wouldve given this a 7.5 but im feeling generous so rounding up instead of rounding down. 8/10

7/10

Great characters save for Misty who is just annoying as **** and a terrible overall plot. Jessica was by far the strongest character (in character/development) in the ensemble.

I'll give it a 5. I found it pretty underwhelming.

It did some good things for Danny. The Jessica/Matt rapport was a pleasant surprise, though I wasn't a fan of turning both DD's costume and JJ's functional alcoholism into gags.

Luke Cage was utterly wasted, though not as utterly as Sigourney Weaver/Alexandra. The Hand in general made zero sense. Really, we're going to defeat a global criminal empire stretching back centuries by punching things? Um, ok.

Elektra was also mostly a waste, though there were some signs of life (so to speak) from her and the villains in general in the last couple episodes. After having a couple days to think about it, this might have been a better story if they'd made her the BBEG from the start.

For a series with just eight episodes it seemed to take a long time to get going and then didn't go much of anywhere. Parts of it looked good, then parts of it looked like IF's cheap sets. I didn't care about any of the supporting characters, and was actively annoyed by a couple of them (looking at you, Foggy).

Overall, it wasn't bad but it wasn't very good either. It was better than IF, but I'd put it below all the other shows.

So, I haven't watched every show before this one outside of Daredevil. I have never really cared for the character of Jessica Jones, and had heard negative things about Luke Cage and Iron Fist, so I steered clear of all those shows. But I was curious as to how The Defenders would go down, and luckily it was five episodes shorter than its predecessors. I'm glad I did because it is a really enjoyable show, I had a lot of fun watching it.

The overall plot isn't great, but the character interactions make up for it. Charlie Cox and Krysten Ritter are a great duo to watch. Their growing respect for one another works really well, and it was something I wanted to see more of. The two of them are clearly the best actors of the four leads and it shows. That's not to say Mike Colter and Finn Jones are bad, but they don't stand out. Those two do have good chemistry, much like their comic counterparts, but it feels as if the writers used that as an excuse to quickly make the characters best friends.

The first three episodes are very slow and not much interesting happens until the end of episode three, but the following three are great. The show picks up from there, bringing a lot of cool action and great character moments. The last two episodes could've easily been condensed to one, so they do drag, but seeing the 4 heroes team up brings joy because of how cool it is.

Sigourney Weaver's Alexandra and Elodie Yung's Elektra are formidable villains, and great in their respective roles. Unfortunately, the Hand's big bad master plan is kind of lame and contrived. I was okay with that though, as the stupidity of it felt very comic book like, which added to the fun. All in all I thought the show was really fun. It makes me want to watch all the past shows, and I'm excited for what is in store for the future.

Enjoyment: 9/10 Show: 7/10 Average: 8/10 Best Episode: Royal Dragon (E4)

Sidenote: I appreciate what they were trying to go for with the different color filters for the different characters, but it was so horribly done, especially in the first two episodes. It's so heavy handed that it made the show hard to watch. The glorified yellow for Luke Cage was so ugly and predominate I almost considered skipping all those scenes. The only character it wasn't over done with is Jessica, but I only think it worked because blue is a far more common filter used in movies and shows.

I like the idea, but it should've kept to something more subtle, like when Matt and Jessica first meet and the door he opens is red. That's a subtle way to do it. Not transition to a completely red lit room. God it was so bad.

Given on how most people can agree that the character interactions was one of the best things (if not THE BEST THING) about this show, which pair of characters did you guys enjoy seeing interact the most?

Matt and Jessica?

Luke and Danny?

Danny and Matt?

Jessica and Luke?

Matt and Luke?

Thought it was disappointing. Enjoyed it more then Cage and Iron Fist but nowhere near Daredevil Season 1 and 2 or Jessica Jones.

7/10

IA with this. I also felt it was almost too long. Should have been 5 or 6 episodes

Yup, pretty much, Def. Better then Cage and IF, but a tier below DD and JJ.

Given on how most people can agree that the character interactions was one of the best things (if not THE BEST THING) about this show, which pair of characters did you guys enjoy seeing interact the most?

Matt and Jessica?

Luke and Danny?

Danny and Matt?

Jessica and Luke?

Matt and Luke?
Matt and Jessica by far. I'd watch a whole show of just them.

Matt and Jessica?

Luke and Danny?

Danny and Matt?

Jessica and Luke?

Matt and Luke?

Matt and Jessica? This was a surprise hit. I didn't know what to expect from them two, but they seemed to have great chemistry. My girlfriend even wanted them to hook up. I wouldn't have been opposed.

Luke and Danny? Good. Better than it could have been. Even left me hyped for more. But Danny is clearly the weak link among them even when he's not the primary focus.

Danny and Matt? Nothing too special.

Jessica and Luke? Can't wait to see where they go together.

Matt and Luke? Almost nonexistent.

Danny and Jessica? Almost nonexistent.

Matt and Jessica? This was a surprise hit. I didn't know what to expect from them two, but they seemed to have great chemistry. My girlfriend even wanted them to hook up. I wouldn't have been opposed.

Luke and Danny? Good. Better than it could have been. Even left me hyped for more. But Danny is clearly the weak link among them even when he's not the primary focus.

Danny and Matt? Nothing too special.

Jessica and Luke? Can't wait to see where they go together.

Matt and Luke? Almost nonexistent.

Danny and Jessica? Almost nonexistent.
I also kind of wanted to see them get paired up. Oh well.

I gave it an 8/10. I thought the series was quite enjoyable and felt that it moved quickly. The plot was adequate, nothing spectacular, but the action and team chemistry really lifted the entire thing.

I agree that Weaver seemed a little wasted here. She played Alexandra well, but the character just didn't have enough menace. The other members of the Hand did well enough, although Gao's depiction went from being weak in Iron Fist to quite powerful here. The only other thing that I have a problem with is the way they have JJ and Cage fight, neither one seems quite powerful enough in combat but that has been pretty true throughout all of their appearances.

The most important aspect of any superhero is the supervillain.

I don't think it's a coincidence that many would put DD1 and JJ1 at the tops of their list for favorite series, and Fisk and Killgrave at the tops of their list for favorite villain. I think it's also interesting to point out that Iron Fist was the least favorite of nearly everyone and the show had no(?) real super villain.

The best Batman's of all time are generally considered The Dark Knight and Batman (1989). Of course the Joker was masterfully played by Nicholson and Ledger in those films.

The bad guy in Defenders?

An old woman who used to be so feeble she couldn't break out of a school, but now suddenly gained the Force and can move stuff with her mind (I mean c'mon, she could push a car but couldn't open a door?).

A Japanese dude who almost dies by a small bear and can hardly hang in a fight with any one of the Defenders.

A weak school teacher who lost to one of his pupils (not even a Defender).

A dying leader who kept touting for the "Black Sky" when all 5 of them could have perceivably gone after Danny at ANY TIME they wanted. (I mean, they wanted him so bad, but they wait to attack him until he happens to walk in their office. These villains aren't just weak, they were beyond dumb)

The best of the bunch was the African(?) dude who showed some power, but then we're robbed of the ACTUAL battle between him and Luke.

ARRGGGHHH. It's not inconceivable to see ONE single Defender beat up all 5 of these guys, let alone 4 Defenders. Actually, I think Adam West and Burt Ward could've taken these guys.

This series was weak for many reasons, but the glaring defect was the Hand. These were some of the weakest villains in comic book movie history. But they weren't just weak because of their lack of power, their motivation was about as limp as conducting a midi-chlorian count. So exactly how does one stay immortal using a substance that needs repeated doses but runs out? Don't you mean "long living mortal", not immortal?

I'm thinking that Marvel should have resurrected the Super Soldiers that were utterly wasted in Civil War and put them behind the mysterious wall. At least then our heroes would have had the chance to ACTUALLY flex their muscles instead battling it out with construction workers fresh from Colleen's DoJo.

I give it a 6.

An old woman who used to be so feeble she couldn't break out of a school, but now suddenly gained the Force and can move stuff with her mind (I mean c'mon, she could push a car but couldn't open a door?).

You do realize there's a reason why she acts so old and feeble, right? It's an act for people to under estimate her power. Just like they did in The Prestige and that one magician who was frail and slow. He only did it so that he could do that one fishbowl trick without having people doubt him.

6 out of 10. For context, I would rate DD S1 a 9, DD S2 an 8, JJ and LC are both a 7.5

I gave up on Iron Fist during it's first episode. One thing that I have to give credit to The Defenders for is that it served as a fine introduction to the character of Iron Fist, similar to how Hulk was handled in The Avengers. I didn't feel confused by who he was, his motives, or his abilities. This cements IF S1 as completely skippable to me (yay!)

The biggest letdown was the action scenes. One moment of greatness was when Iron Fist took on like twenty guys in the board room but even that fell apart pretty quickly after Luke busted through the door. Everything else was a bit of a mess...although watching Colleen, Misty and Claire take down that one guy gave me a good laugh. But anyway I have no idea what scene they were teasing prior to the show when they said they had one that would put the hallway scene to shame. Nothing in the show was anywhere close to that level.

Another problem was the pace and structure of the show. It started out so soooooo slow. When the earthquake happened at the end of episode 2 I remember thinking "We could have started right here." And it should have! And once the team was finally, finally assembled at the end of episode 4 (halfway through the season!) they were still, still in-fighting and making quips about their situation almost all the way until the very end.

I was struck by how much a liability Jessica Jones was during combat. Luke Cage seems to be similarly outmatched by the ninja stuff, but he is bulletproof. So I was left kinda wondering how Jessica wasn't killed during some of the fights with all the blades flying around.

Iron Fist was a similar liability, but in his case outside of combat. The dude was literally strapped to things as a hostage for almost half the season...that was an odd choice I thought. And then as soon as he is out he does the one thing he knows he should not do...punches the wall down. I mean...wtf is that?

But the real problem, underneath not just this but The Hand as a whole (especially in DD S2) is that I am just not sold on the character of Elektra at all. I think it mostly comes down to the actress who plays Elektra, which I would argue was miscast, but the writing is also to blame. Elektra should be a force of temptation to Daredevil, but she is not sexy or emotive really at all...on top of that I find her motives confusing and contrived. This chick has had like three hours of screentime and I still don't understand what she wants...to be with Matt forever, but only if they are both dead? And when she has a chance to kill him then herself, she passes it up repeatedly...because it is fun? Worse, Matt's reluctance to let anyone kill her is a bad case of General Zod Syndrome...I am Catholic and, believe me, her life was forfeit a long, long time ago.

The actress who plays Elektra is a vacuum of charisma and she and Matt have almost no chemistry. When she killed Alexandra I admit I was shocked, but I just sorta sighed afterwards as I realized that one of the more boring characters was now the villain...not as bad as The Mandarin Twist but still a disappointment.

Anyway, I am not sure how I feel about the whole Netflix Marvel continuity as we go on. It really seems to have peaked right out of the gate with DD S1 and has been on a slow and steady decline ever since. Worse, I don't see how anything is going to turn around at this point. The Punisher works best as a villain or side character, so I am not excited for his solo series. I don't feel Jessica, Iron Fist or Luke have earned a second season, I really don't. Those three should be condenscing into a Heroes for Hire annual show. That leaves just Daredevil, which itself suffered during it's second season. We'll see what happens I guess!

I gave it a 9 because the character dynamics among the four Defenders are great. Their interpersonal dynamics are by far the strongest elements of the series, and just having all of the Marvel Netflix heroes in one show is a real treat.

Luke and Danny worked very well together, as I had hoped they would, and I was very impressed with the strong interpersonal chemistry between Matt and Jessica. Some of the scenes where Matt and Jessica are working together are some of the best scenes in the show IMO.

It was very cool to see Elektra in action again, and some of the action scenes were extremely fun to watch, especially when all four Defenders were fighting as one.

Sigourney Weaver was impressively regal and dignified in how she played Alexandra, though I felt she was a bit underused. I liked how they seemed to add some elements of the villain Morgan le Fay from the comics to her character to emphasize how ancient and supernatural she was. I thought she could have been utilized more in the show than she was, but Weaver did a good job with what she had.

Another thing I enjoyed was how they incorporated so many of the side characters from all the Marvel Netflix shows. Seeing all of these side characters we've come to know and love in one place was definitely rewarding, just like seeing the heroes themselves come together.

Sometimes the pacing could have been better, and sometimes a few scenes could have utilized the characters better, but overall, I certainly enjoyed the show.

It is illogical. Jessica Jones is like the Black Widow of the Avengers, is the weakest. Earlier 1 Iron fist barely won against one boss, now his supporters fight as equal with equal: |
I voted for 5

Jessica Jones is like hell the weakest. She's the least combat-trained, yes, but comparing her to Black Widow is nonsensical. Black Widow can't pick up a car.

This is my favorite Marvel Netflix show. I admit the villains could have been more developed, but I am just a sucker for team-ups and think the 4 Defenders had great chemistry together. I can't wait to see more.

10/10

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blacktopolis24
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"