• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

World Rian Johnson's trilogy

I'm hoping for something in the Jedi/Sith wars. Lots of opportunity for great lightsaber battles, and we know Johnson knows how to stage a good fight.

Doubt it's true, but wouldn't mind something of this scale set in the Unknown regions or to see all these EU elements coming back.

[YT]mtbmz_ASO9c[/YT]

Doubt it's true, but wouldn't mind something of this scale set in the Unknown regions or to see all these EU elements coming back.

[YT]mtbmz_ASO9c[/YT]
Sounds like pure speculation more than anything based off the press release saying the films would tackle a previously unexplored part of the Star Wars universe.

Why would Johnson want to reintroduce all those elements of the EU when he wasn't keen on doing anything like that for the Last Jedi and just wanted to introduce a lot of new story elements and nothing really resembling EU at all?

Based on TLJ, I’d guess that in broad strokes Johnson is interested in exploring the Star Wars universe from the bottom up, rather than the top down view we’ve gotten in prior films. By which I mean, for the average person it doesn’t seem like there’s much difference between the Republic and the Empire. For example, in both the prequels (Republic) and OT (Empire) Tattoine is still a planet run by gangsters where slavery is legal. Presumably Canto Bight hasn’t changed much under either regime, either. So what does the Resistance, the force, etc. mean to that kid in the stable, who isn’t a princess or senator or Jedi or sith? Especially when all of those types have failed to make a difference for them? I don’t know what shape that story takes, but at least it’s a new angle.

The only explanation I would give for the kids is the tales of the Rebel Alliance beating the Empire are like childhood fables to them and they are like their childhood superheroes.

I think some of the new supplementary books have stories about how Luke Skywalker's legend spread throughout the galaxy after the galactic civil war.

Rian Johnson: (32:05) "Oh my god, yeah, [I'd love to do any film with Joseph Gordon-Levitt]. Absolutely, we're gonna. [I'm] counting the days when we can be on a set together again." "No [I'm not straight back into the next Star Wars film]. We're figuring out the time line of it right now - have a little bit of a break, seeing if I can write a couple of other small things that I've had in my head, a couple of non-Star Wars things - but we gotta figure out what the time line is for the new trilogy and see when we dive into it." (Filmstruck podcast - March 29, 2018)

Rian Johnson's New Trilogy Working to Discover the Essence of Star Wars

Shortly before the release of STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI, Lucasfilm decided to give Johnson free rein to craft an entirely new STAR WARS trilogy which would be separate from the Skywalker saga and introduce "new characters from a corner of the galaxy that Star Wars lore has never before explored." It's an exciting concept, and Rian Johnson recently spoke with IGN to explain how he's approaching development on the new trilogy.

"We're just at the very beginning of figuring out what this new thing is going to be, but part of the excitement of it is really trying to hone in on 'what is Star Wars?' What was Star Wars for me the very first time I saw it when I was a little kid? What are the combination of elements that just made me want to jump into the screen, and made me want to go home and instantly start telling my own stories?"

There's nothing quite like being thrown into a franchise like STAR WARS for the very first time, but when you strip away all of the recognizable elements such as the Skywalker family, the Empire, and the Rebel Alliance, how do you make it feel like STAR WARS? "Once you get past the things that are the iconography of Star Wars - once you say, okay, if it doesn't have the Falcon; if it doesn't have someone with Skywalker as their last name; if we don't go to Tatooine, what is it?" Johnson questioned. "What is it at its essence? It's a really exciting question, and I think it's something that has to be answered at some point. So let's figure it out."

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/ria...king-to-discover-the-essence-of-star-wars-328

Rian Johnson's New Trilogy Working to Discover the Essence of Star Wars

He poses and interesting question though and what I find most interesting is how the answer isn't consistent even between fans. To some, what they like most is the whole Jedi v Sith thing... to others it's the spaceshippery and the look/feel of the universe the stories have taken place in.

I remember back when JJ's first Star Trek movie was about to come out (obviously pre Disney SW acquisition), there was a review of that movie and the author (might have been Harry himself) over on Ain't It Cool who said something to the effect that he believed someone one day would remake Star Wars (speaking of ANH specifically). That really got me thinking... how in the hell could you do that? Like how do you make the decision between what to keep what to cut? How would you treat the visuals? What about the music? Like... how much has to stay for it to still be SW but be a reboot. {let the TFA comments commence}... but yeah. Reboot thoughts/discussion, it's still an interesting question.

TLJ answered that perfectly. You can "take away" a lot, and add a lot too, and it's still Star Wars.

I wonder if the Johnson trilogy will still even happen.

:whatever:

So there have been two directors Lucasfilm has been entirely-happy with out of the 6 (5 if we count L&M as one entity) they've hired.

They're gonna cancel the movies of one of the guys they were happy with. Based on some online whiners over his movie and a poor box office from a movie he didn't direct or have anything to do with.

Logic.

:whatever:

So there have been two directors Lucasfilm has been entirely-happy with out of the 6 (5 if we count L&M as one entity) they've hired.

They're gonna cancel the movies of one of the guys they were happy with. Based on some online whiners over his movie and a poor box office from a movie he didn't direct or have anything to do with.

Logic.

Stranger things have happened in this business.

I have a feeling this trilogy will be cancelled, or majorly reworked under someone different. Heck, it's probably already happened behind-the-scenes.

TLJ caused Solo to flop. Rian Johnson has become a joke in the Star Wars community. Lucasfilm and Kennedy are probably oblivious, but Disney isn't going to want someone with that stigma making three more movies. Say what you will about Disney's content, but they know what turns a profit. They're going to drop Johnson quicker than Paramount dropped Michael Bay.

If it does happen, it may be the first Star Wars movie/series I sit out on. Not necessarily a boycott, but...I just don't care about it. TLJ isn't a real Star Wars movie to me, and unless this series looks a lot better, I have no desire to see it.

I seriously doubt Lucasfilm is wringing their hands over this trilogy because of Rian Johnson or TLJ. Rian pitched an idea that they loved and my guess is they said..."Make TLJ and we will green light your project."

I didn’t even think the trilogy was a sure thing the moment it was announced and everything was fine and dandy. But the first movie will still happen, even now.

I don't know, it honestly feels like I've been living in the upside down here. Johnson really doesn't deserve the stigma or the hate. Even if I didn't like TLJ (I do), I've still been a fan of his for years and recognize his talent. I'd love to see more Star Wars movies from him, especially set in an unexplored corner of the galaxy where there's no legacy characters for people to get offended about. I thought even reasonable people who didn't like TLJ recognized that the new trilogy idea was an entirely different animal and one that could be a really exciting step for Star Wars.

It just sucks that some fans are so spiteful that they want to see this killed before we even know what it is, just for the "win". The fans relentlessly tweeting him and calling Ruin Johnson are the ones who deserve the stigma, not him.

Yeah, I hope he gets another go as the universe (galaxy.)

I have said this before but I For one am still excited for this trilogy. I loved Looper, and Johnson is still a good film maker for me. I have a serious dislike for a lot of what he did in TLJ, especially to Luke, but here he is creating his own characters from the ground up, and so won’t be able to do what he did to the likes of Luke in TLJ.

I am interested to see where this trilogy goes.

I don't know, it honestly feels like I've been living in the upside down here. Johnson really doesn't deserve the stigma or the hate. Even if I didn't like TLJ (I do), I've still been a fan of his for years and recognize his talent. I'd love to see more Star Wars movies from him, especially set in an unexplored corner of the galaxy where there's no legacy characters for people to get offended about. I thought even reasonable people who didn't like TLJ recognized that the new trilogy idea was an entirely different animal and one that could be a really exciting step for Star Wars.

It just sucks that some fans are so spiteful that they want to see this killed before we even know what it is, just for the "win". The fans relentlessly tweeting him and calling Ruin Johnson are the ones who deserve the stigma, not him.

I don't want to see it die out of spite or "for the win", I just have zero interest in it and feel like Lucasfilm should devote the same time and money to better filmmakers. I view Rian Johnson as a poor filmmaker, and just I just don't want to see him associated with this franchise any more. I don't want to see a Rian Johnson trilogy any more or less than I want to see a Michael Bay trilogy.

I don't want to see it die out of spite or "for the win", I just have zero interest in it and feel like Lucasfilm should devote the same time and money to better filmmakers. I view Rian Johnson as a poor filmmaker, and just I just don't want to see him associated with this franchise any more. I don't want to see a Rian Johnson trilogy any more or less than I want to see a Michael Bay trilogy.

If that's really what you think, that's fine, I can't argue with that. But it's undeniable that a lot of the fans now calling for Rian Johnson's head are the same people who were railing against "Jar Jar Abrams" after TFA and were championing Johnson coming in and doing something different. And just based on sheer probability, a lot of those same people loved Ozymandias when it aired too (because who didn't, it's one of the greatest episodes of television ever). The hatred for Johnson is based on TLJ more than anything. They've just used TLJ to retroactively reassess his career and push this narrative that he's this terrible person whose career should die.

My point is, for a lot of people they've turned against him entirely based on one movie, and I think it's potentially a slippery slope for Disney to set a trend of listening to the most toxic elements of the fanbase- because they're always going to be there, and there's always going to someone for them to vilify when they don't like a movie.

Last edited:
If that's really what you think, that's fine, I can't argue with that. But it's undeniable that a lot of the fans now calling for Rian Johnson's head are the same people who were railing against "Jar Jar Abrams" after TFA and were championing Johnson coming in and doing something different.

On the lead up to TLJ, I told people who had never heard of Rian Johnson to go and watch Looper...they came back raving about it, completely excited about where he could take the saga after JJ pretty much just did a "cut/paste" job from ANH. Now suddenly JJ is a golden boy who can do no wrong. It's the funniest thing I've ever seen. The back and forth waffling from many fans just tickles me to death sometimes.

But to the RJ trilogy, I believe it might be the best project Lucasfilm has on the docket, so there's no chance it gets shelved.

I have a feeling this trilogy will be cancelled, or majorly reworked under someone different. Heck, it's probably already happened behind-the-scenes.

TLJ caused Solo to flop. Rian Johnson has become a joke in the Star Wars community. Lucasfilm and Kennedy are probably oblivious, but Disney isn't going to want someone with that stigma making three more movies. Say what you will about Disney's content, but they know what turns a profit. They're going to drop Johnson quicker than Paramount dropped Michael Bay.

If it does happen, it may be the first Star Wars movie/series I sit out on. Not necessarily a boycott, but...I just don't care about it. TLJ isn't a real Star Wars movie to me, and unless this series looks a lot better, I have no desire to see it.

:bow:

Lol.

#NotMyStarWars

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheCat
Back