RIP Celebrity Thread - Part 4

“The only thing I have to say is it’s just further reminder of Ron being gone all these years. It’s no great loss to the world. It’s a further reminder of Ron’s being gone,” Arkin quoted Goldman as saying.
I would be feeling exactly the same if it had been my son.

I can confidently say I won't be losing any sleep over this news.

There's is a clip on youtube, I'm guessing alot of you haven't seen, but it's of Ron in the early 90s on a tv dating show called Studs.
It was in an era where that type of show was popular.

I won't post it here, because some of the language is in it inappropriate for this forum.
But you at least get to hear his voice, see him move , and see the charm he had.

He was a young guy ,in a pre-tinder dating world.

You got keep in mind, that in the age before social media , cellphones with cameras, etc, you're voice would basically only be captured on a home VHS video recorder or on an answering machine.

Pictures would be mostly taken for special occasions, as opposed to doing everyday, mundane things , which is one of the reasons why we basically have mostly still images of him.

So the clip of him is nice to see and worth checking out.

1712858044669.png1712858124929.png

I believe O.J. was guilty of double murder....so I have nothing else to say about his dying.

Usually when someone dies, I feel bad about it. When some other people die, I never feel happy about it; I feel literally nothing. I can't stand flies in my house (and figured out a way to keep them out), but I always tried to catch and release them. TBH, I feel worse about every bug I've ever felt I had to kill (including ants) than I feel about this news. No joy here.....just nothing. I guess the opposite of love isn't hate....it's not caring.

Usually when someone dies, I feel bad about it. When some other people die, I never feel happy about it; I feel literally nothing. I can't stand flies in my house (and figured out a way to keep them out), but I always tried to catch and release them. TBH, I feel worse about every bug I've ever felt I had to kill (including ants) than I feel about this news. No joy here.....just nothing. I guess the opposite of love isn't hate....it's not caring.
Remember this apathy for when Cosby or Trump go next.

It's how I felt when Manson cacked, so I'm guessing that's how I'll feel when some other wasteful bag of plasma stops moving. I'm not a big revenge guy. It's never made me feel better when anyone suffers. It's just better if they don't exist.....and I'm against the death penalty......the whys are another conversation.

You want to talk about a moment that had everyone glued to their TVs in the same way that, say, the Challenger explosion or JFK assassination did, for example? It's that white Bronco.
Interestingly I have 4 culturally and nationally significant events in my life that I think I will never forget where I was and what I was doing when they happened:
1. The Challenger explosion,
2. The slow speed white Bronco chase,
3. The OJ not guilty verdict, and
4. The planes hitting the WTC on 9/11

Crazy that OJ occupies 2 of the 4 on my list.

In many ways, the OJ verdict did a lot to open my eyes and shape my worldviews. I think that it helped me grow immensely as a person.

I was in college, a young white middle class kid who was the son of a cop. I didn’t really remember OJ’s playing days as they were a little before my time. But I did a lot of athletics in high school and I had watched basically ever Steve Sabol NFL documentary available, so I’d watched a lot of footage of OJ and appreciated his abilities. I also knew him as the Hertz commercial guy and for his role in Naked Gun films. Like virtually everyone I thought highly of him before the crime, but that trial really did a lot to pull back the curtains. The prosecution definitely wasn’t likable, but it was pretty evident that he was guilty. Everyone was watching that trial that whole summer. It was always playing in the background where I worked.

I had finished a sociology class of all things and as I was cutting through the student union to the parking garage people were running to where the tv was located because the verdict was about to come down. I remember probably 100 students stopping everything and gathering there. A few minutes later the not guilty verdict was read. Almost all of the white students looked either shocked or angry. The African American students erupted in cheers. I remember one guy who I knew from my economics class jumped up with arms raised and yelled “guilty as sin but free as a bird! Hallelujah the Juice is on the loose!”
I recognized in that moment that there existed two very different experiences in America. I realized that I hadn’t experienced prejudice the way many of my classmates had. And I realized that as a result, I could not impose any moral judgment upon how people who have had different experiences react or process different experiences or events.
I wrestled with that for a long while afterwards. I realized that I only looked at the world through a single lens, my own. And I realized that others had their own lens that had been shaped and molded by their experiences. I spent a good amount of time in prayer asking and hoping for empathy that I would learn to not approach my world with an egocentric view. And that I be always self aware that my worldview is not the end-all-be-all definitive view.

In many ways, those couple of minutes changed me as a person.

what baffles me is that they let oj out of prison on early release after 9 years, when he was sentenced to 33yrs. Why did they let him out, it would have been far better if he had died in prison, he was asking for it, everyone knew he did it, why the parole?! bizarre decision by the parole board.
33 years was a bit excessive for that particular crime. Many agree the judge gave him the max because he got away with killing Ron and Nicole.

I've read it. It was pretty good -- OJ had a ghost writer -- and well worth the 1.99 I paid for it, lol
The Ghost Writer was interviewed on CNN lastnight, he lived next door to the Simpsons when the murder happened. When the Goldman's leaked the book to the Enquirer, Simpson was furious and started rumors that it was the Ghost Writer who killed his wife. So weird....

So, WRT OJ, I was able to watch much of the trial on a daily basis and it occurred to me that the best color in America is green. It was crystal clear to me that the scales of justice are decidedly unbalanced if you could put a lot of money on one side. I'm probably more familiar than most with the evidence presented and it was pretty clear to me that OJ killed those people. That being said, he had a ninja array of attorneys who gave him a chance for an acquittal. Most people couldn't get those guys and most people would have been convicted in a slam dunk. Even with that group, I think he would have been convicted except for the doubt brought into the case by some clearly corrupt (at least one) officers of the LAPD. I believe they planted evidence to strengthen their case, basically got caught, and caused the case to crash. The prosecution was outmatched, but if they had investigators who did their job, they might still very well have won that case.

If people don't think that money is a factor in court, I don't know what to tell you. Please, please, please don't give me this "justice is blind" stuff because it's not. I'm not denigrating the entirety of the legal system because I think lawyers get a bad rap (except for the ones I went to school with LOL). There are a LOT of really great people in the legal profession......and, like any other time you get a large group of people together, there are people on the opposite end of the bell curve.

Anyway, OJ is gone and I've been celebrating my daughter's new job with Eggs Benedict (made the Hollandaise sauce myself), home fried potatoes, bacon, shrimp cocktail, and a bottle of Veuve Clicquot (not my jam, but my daughter likes it). I didn't have to kill a single bug today.....it was a good day.

Interestingly I have 4 culturally and nationally significant events in my life that I think I will never forget where I was and what I was doing when they happened:
1. The Challenger explosion,
2. The slow speed white Bronco chase,
3. The OJ not guilty verdict, and
4. The planes hitting the WTC on 9/11

Crazy that OJ occupies 2 of the 4 on my list.
I have those same four though I'd add the Oklahoma City bombing of the Federal building.

I have those same four though I'd add the Oklahoma City bombing of the Federal building.
For me, most devastating cultural moments I feel tied to pre-2002 lets say //

1 - Kurt Cobain
2 - 9/11
3 - OJ Trial
4 - Columbine
5 - Bill Clinton BJ

...adding a little humor - Cheers Finale

// since it's been endless ever since.

cough Iraq cough Wall Street cough Global Warming cough College Debt cough Katrina cough BLM cough Covid cough cough (literally)

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back
    monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"