Eternals Rotten Tomatoes watch thread

I honestly can't fathom critics being harsher on this than they were on WW84.

I honestly can't fathom critics being harsher on this than they were on WW84.

I can understand why some people might not like this movie. But believing that it's worse than Iron Man 2, Thor 2, Amazing Spiderman 2, or Superman Returns, that's incomprehensible.

I can understand why some people might not like this movie. But believing that it's worse than Iron Man 2, Thor 2, Amazing Spiderman 2, or Superman Returns, that's incomprehensible.

In my opinion it's not completely incomprehensible for all of those films just because people will have their own views and reactions. At least in Iron Man 2 you still have the likes of Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark. Thor 2 you still have Chris Hemsworth, Tom Hiddleston, et al. For me Iron Man 2 has aged better than say Iron Man 3.

One of my big problems with Eternals is the character I seemed most invested again was a minor background character who was just there to set up future stories and shows. There's no one who really anchored me to the story and kept me interested and rooting for these guys.

It is also worse than the likes of Mortal Kombat in both critics and audience counts. Food for thought.

46% now and only 35% from top critics. I had problems with the writing in the movie and gave it a 6/10 (the more I think about it I'd maybe bump the movie up to 7/10 because I actually do want to see it again) but the current score is way too low.

I can understand why some people might not like this movie. But believing that it's worse than Iron Man 2, Thor 2, Amazing Spider-Man 2, or Superman Returns, that's incomprehensible.
Despite its faults this movie never fails to give me a fun time, and -as a defender of that series- it's the one movie in this bunch that made me enter long debates over its worth.
I even like the parents sub-plot, it puts the rest of the more fun stuff to a halt, but I dig it.

It is also worse than the likes of Mortal Kombat in both critics and audience counts. Food for thought.
That the 1995 MK movie still pleases its fans and it has lower rating than both this and its dull counterpart of this year.

46% now and only 35% from top critics. I had problems with the writing in the movie and gave it a 6/10 (the more I think about it I'd maybe bump the movie up to 7/10 because I actually do want to see it again) but the current score is way too low.
Eh, at this point most of the “reviews” coming in are from sites like SomeDudeWithAnInternetConnectionDotCom. Everyone is just piling on because it’s finally OK to hate a Marvel movie and some people who have been constipated for years now at last get to take their big dump on the franchise.

Eh, at this point most of the “reviews” coming in are from sites like SomeDudeWithAnInternetConnectionDotCom. Everyone is just piling on because it’s finally OK to hate a Marvel movie and some people who have been constipated for years now at last get to take their big dump on the franchise.

Lol, funny. Yeah, it was only a matter of time. At some point, you'd think the franchise should come to an end. I imagine, the longer it goes on, the more negativity it may continue to receive.

Last edited:
Lol, funny. Yeah, it was only a matter of time. At some point, you'd think the franchise should come to an end. I imagine, the longer it goes on, the more negativity it may continue to receive.
The franchise is still struggling to answer the post-Endgame question of, why are we still here? Didn’t the Avengers save the universe? Done and dusted, story over, on to the Next Big Thing, right? Well, of course not, and Endgame’s ludicrous box office tells you why. But you need a better hook for audiences than, hey come see our new superhero movie because we want your money so give it to us! And three movies in phase 4 has yet to provide that hook. Until they do, I doubt they get much love outside us die hard fans.

This was posted in another forum below .
THREAD: ETERNALS MCU APPRECIATION 2021

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime
Is the general consensus that the movie is ok, but not great? I keep seeing reports of viewers grading it lower than many of Marvel's other movies.

mace quote-
Well looking at the cinemascore it has B,but looking at RT audience score most folks like it.
It could be interpreted this way.
Most of the audience like it,more then critics.
RT rating- 80% for the audience BUT has the lowest cineamascore for the canon mcu.
That mean most people like it the least on average then the other mcu movies but still say it is a great film looking at another score alot folks are not mentioning.
4.1 out of 5 average rating
That's 4 stars out 5.
Great.

In other words most folks enjoy the first thor movie more(B+) but there were more folks that like eternals more then thor.
A larger number of folks like Eternals more then thor
Eternals
80%

Thor
76%

Eternals a stronger made movie then thor
Eternals
4.1 out of 5 average rating

Thor
3.8 out of 5 average rating

Eternals not as enjoyable as thor(could be varied reasons in the movie but still rated higher above in average rating.)
Eternals
B

Thor
B+

Most critics did not like eternals,so it's lower then 50%.
That RT SCORE is only saying only like.
It's not the rating.
The real rating is 5.60 out of 10 average rating.
That is 3 stars out 5 stars.
So most critics thought eternals was not great or not very good,but just good, but most did not like the film.
It's like saying most critics do not like a certain boxer or fighter (47%) but like the other fighter and enjoy him more for whatever reason(90%),but the fighter they did not like is voted to be a better fighter, 4.1 out of 5 average rating vs 3.8 out of 5 average rating.

CinemaScore
What the score means
quote-
The company's founder, Ed Mintz, once said that "A's generally are good, B's generally are shaky, and C's are terrible. D's and F's, they shouldn’t have made the movie, or they promoted it funny and the absolute wrong crowd got into it." This is a good rule of thumb, but it's important to note that it also depends on genre. In summer 2019, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood was a box-office success while Men in Black: International disappointed. Both had received a B grade.

quote-
Horror movies, by contrast, score lower on average. The Conjuring, which scored an A- in 2013, was the very first horror movie to score better than a B+ average. B's are generally good for horror movies, while C's are generally shaky. A variety of reasons have been put forward as to why this is. The most common view is that horror fans have divided expectations: some will get disappointed if a horror film doesn't have enough gore or overt scares, while others prefer tropes like Nothing Is Scarier.

quote-
Other types of film that are prone to scoring badly are Le Film Artistique and others that are meant to be unsettling or highly experimental. A bad score can also be a sign of Misaimed Marketing or a film that did not live up to audience expectations in some way. The latter may explain why Punch-Drunk Love and Uncut Gems got relatively poor scores (D+ and C+ respectively). Both starred Adam Sandler, so they may have attracted viewers expecting comedies.

So you could say most folks enjoy thor 2 more then thor 1 looking at the cinema score but most folks liked thor 1 in raw numbers.
Thor 1 has lower enjoyment score then thor 2.
Most folks think thor 1 is better or stronger made movie then thor 2 looking at average rating but for what ever reason enjoyed less.
THREAD: ETERNALS MCU APPRECIATION 2021
Eternals MCU Appreciation 2021 - Page 17

Last edited:
I definitely didn't like Ragnarok, I also thought GOTG2 was cringe AF. Most of the jokes didn't even land, and Rocket was actually ****ing annoying. I also thought Captain Marvel, and Black Widow wasn't bad, just eye crossingly bland. And I'm just indifferent to the Spider-Man films. Some of the super high rated MCU movies don't deserve that high of a rating on RT. The ones I mentioned should have been in the mid 60s to mid 70s on RT. I felt they got a pass on too many above average movies imo. The only MCU movie that actually deserves it's critical acclaim is Winter Soldier, and Black Panther. I feel like the MCU took the tone that's better fit for a Fantastic Four film and welded it to all of their movies.

Last edited:
The franchise is still struggling to answer the post-Endgame question of, why are we still here? Didn’t the Avengers save the universe? Done and dusted, story over, on to the Next Big Thing, right? Well, of course not, and Endgame’s ludicrous box office tells you why. But you need a better hook for audiences than, hey come see our new superhero movie because we want your money so give it to us! And three movies in phase 4 has yet to provide that hook. Until they do, I doubt they get much love outside us die hard fans.

If anything, the MCU has a lack of focus at the moment. Previously, Thanos and the Infinity Stones were the connective tissue from Avengers on. Now, I think we have at least three threads playing out (Kang & the Multiverse, Dark Avengers / Thunderbolts, and Celestials shenanigans) and they're all kind of competing for attention and engagement with the audience instead of building on previous installments.

If anything, the MCU has a lack of focus at the moment. Previously, Thanos and the Infinity Stones were the connective tissue from Avengers on. Now, I think we have at least three threads playing out (Kang & the Multiverse, Dark Avengers / Thunderbolts, and Celestials shenanigans) and they're all kind of competing for attention and engagement with the audience instead of building on previous installments.
Supposedly they have things planned out in advance. The world is big enough to where I dont think it needs one singular focus. I actually hope they continue to distance themselves from that and let each microverse breath on it's own.

They seem to be focusing on cleaning up in the aftermath of that event, and introducing more players to attempt selling their comics.

Down again to 46%. This is 20% lower than Thor: The Dark World's 66%.

Disney's checks to the film critics didn't clear this time. The racist, sexist film critics were free to hate the new Marvel movie as much as they wanted.

/s

Oh damn. I didn't realise it was getting this low. Thought it was nearer to 60%.

I didn't realise it was getting this low. Thought it was nearer to 60%.
You can say it was that way last week, or a few days before. I'm also surprised it maintained the 5.6/10 average score and did not drop lower than that.

I dont understand why its so low....its certainly better than IM2 imo.
Even though technically not as well made as Eternals, I think critics gave Iron Man 2 and The Dark World a pass because both RDJ’s and Hiddleston’s charismatic performance still carries those movies, and they still have that conventional action-oriented Marvel tone. Eternals doesn’t quite have that luxury as there is no standout RDJ or a Hiddleston level charismatic performance carrying the movie and it’s pacing is a lot slower, and there is a lot of lore dump and characters; so much so that many have argued that Eternals should’ve been done as a television show to properly flesh those ideas out and give those ideas room to breathe. Also, while Eternals is a lot more ambitious and aims higher on a artistic level it doesn’t change the fact the central conflict can still be boiled down to a bunch of human looking aliens with generic powers fighting a bunch badly rendered CGI alien monsters for two hours as the ponder about the ethics of preventing a cosmically planned destruction of a planet they’ve been part of for centuries. So it’s actually pretty easy to see why someone would enjoy Iron Man 2 or even The Dark World over this.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"