Ms. Marvel Season 1, Episode 1: Generation Why (Spoiler Thread)

DarthSkywalker

Your Most Aggro Pal (he/him)
Reaction score
A superhero girl in a superhero world...

jKM8NTS.gif

Does Kamala have ADHD in the comics? I don't remember this. Either way, if she doesn't here, I have no idea what else they'd be going for.

I'm glad this show has decided to make clear what else I can watch on Disney+. :o

Kamala's power is poorly rendered CGI!

So is the idea that no one has ever put that bracelet on, or that someone decided to put something that powerful in a box and never mention it to anyone...

That was okay. Honestly, while I usually root for the put upon teen, I just found Kamala herself okay. I had way more sympathy for her parents. Strict yes, but far from unloving. And considering she gave off the vibe of a child that walked into every corner of the house growing up, I do not blame them. :funny:

Well I was pleasantly surprised by this. For the record, I still don't approve of the changes to her origin/power-set. That was the worst part for me. It just...sucks.

That said, I found this whole episode rather endearing, from Kamala herself, to the style, to the supporting cast. I love her family already.

My only other complaint so far is that it has what I like to call Teens-Written-By-Adults Syndrome - typified by one Dawn Summers in Buffy S5. Kamala's a character in her mid-teens who is written like a pre-teen because the adults writing her can't tell the difference. Based on the trailers I'd seen, I legit thought they'd aged Kamala down from the comics and that she was supposed to be like 12 or 13 tops here. So I was shocked to learn she was going for her driver's license in the first ep, as all her behavior here supported my initial impression, lol.

Random note - I hope their use of Captain Marvel's theme is an indicator that it's not being ditched completely in The Marvels despite the change in composers. Pinar Toprak's score is really underrated, imo. I do really look forward to Kamala meeting Carol now.

...some solid Homecoming/Spider-Man (2002) vibes. Don't like the powers that much, but whatever.

Just starting this but won't be able to watch in one go.

Love that the trailer music is integrated into the show and that montage of the Avengers narrated by her was great. Also cool that she has her own youtube type channel, probably quite relevant to that younger generation who all seem to have presence on every app like that.

Couldn't be happier with the first episode, it's already better than most of the MCU shows so far.
It's pretty much Spider-Verse meets Turning Red with a little bit of Shazam thrown in.

And I dig the style, it's a bit like Lizzie Mcguire meets Clarissa Explains it All

6b08f9056c7d1969ef7f60fd1065e3c01e638b8d.gifv

81cfacd1cd57f8a6d2e10e13958de9f7913615eb.gifv
39ad2a4e75c7b41b60f31cb43f4468063e48c316.gifv

I'm actually liking this more than I thought I would so far so that's definitely a positive. It's obviously aimed at a younger audience, but the family stuff is great, and Kamala is a really likable lead.

The CGI on her powers isn't the best, but I was surprised at how stylish the direction was at times in this. Those visuals definitely give it a more cinematic feel which was nice.

Also, I'd definitely be the first in line at that Avengers Con.

Finally, a Hollywood project that says "Muslims are good, Islam is good" which is a welcome change for once. The portrayal of the religion and the people who worship that religion as "evil" bores me to death. Whenever there's a TV show who's weekly plot is "Police/Federal Agents investigate killings with ties to groups in the Middle East" for an episode or two, I roll my eyes and change the channel, even if it's a show I like. It's a refreshing change. Also, the relationship Kamala has with Aamir is not the "I am older, so I am better than you at everything" teenage trope that is common in teen movies and TV shows if the protagonist has an older sibling. Those two things to me are very positive.

Holy smokes, Marvel Studios has to step up their game in how they're writing for Carol Danvers in the MCU, because Teyonah Parris and Iman Vellani are going to run laps around an Oscar winning woman in Brie.

I have so many thoughts that I want to share in another post, but what a big first step that was in the premiere, and I'm not only relieved but I'm very happy guys.

I don't expect the relationship between Kamala and Aamir to be hostile as the show goes on, at least I hope that isn't going to be the case. I hope he's more like the parents in that he loves Kamala and will support her as a superhero, but has some concerns about her as a superhero.

Yes, the usual teen tropes are in the first episode, that is quite obvious, but the positive portrayal of Islam and Muslims and the relationship Kamala has with her family, especially with Aamir, are the two major positives of the first episode.

Well I was pleasantly surprised by this. For the record, I still don't approve of the changes to her origin/power-set. That was the worst part for me. It just...sucks.

That said, I found this whole episode rather endearing, from Kamala herself, to the style, to the supporting cast. I love her family already.

My only other complaint so far is that it has what I like to call Teens-Written-By-Adults Syndrome - typified by one Dawn Summers in Buffy S5. Kamala's a character in her mid-teens who is written like a pre-teen because the adults writing her can't tell the difference. Based on the trailers I'd seen, I legit thought they'd aged Kamala down from the comics and that she was supposed to be like 12 or 13 tops here. So I was shocked to learn she was going for her driver's license in the first ep, as all her behavior here supported my initial impression, lol.

Random note - I hope their use of Captain Marvel's theme is an indicator that it's not being ditched completely in The Marvels despite the change in composers. Pinar Toprak's score is really underrated, imo. I do really look forward to Kamala meeting Carol now.
Thar would be awesome.

Holy smokes, Marvel Studios has to step up their game in how they're writing for Carol Danvers in the MCU, because Teyonah Parris and Iman Vellani are going to run laps around an Oscar winning woman in Brie.

I have so many thoughts that I want to share in another post, but what a big first step that was in the premiere, and I'm not only relieved but I'm very happy guys.
This makes zero sense as you know, they will all be written by the same person/people in the Marvels.

So quick thing about Iman. What I really like about her performance is, though she certainly gives Kamala the spunk we expect, she does so in this very understated manner, which I honestly didn't expect. I'm very curious about Iman's audition because I feel like Kamala on the page, and how a casting director would describe the character, that most actors especially around Iman's age would really feel like they need to project. This almost quiet sass that Kamala has here very much feels like a quality that Iman brought to it. I don't know. I quite frankly love it, and I'm not gonna lie, I had some cynical thoughts about her casting but I'm glad to say I was very wrong.

This makes zero sense as you know, they will all be written by the same person/people in the Marvels.

I'm not 100% sure I'm following your comment, but The Marvels is not being written by the same people as Captain Marvel from my understanding. However if they write Carol the way they did in Captain Marvel that essentially pushes Brie to play the character in a way that doesn't fit what she can really bring to the role then it doesn't do her any favors. Megan McDonnell wrote Wandavision so Teyonah has already shown she fits her work. I'm just saying Teyonah and Iman thus far felt like very natural fits to their characters and the feedback has been more universally positive about them. Whereas the verdict on Brie as Carol has been less glowing. I'm not counting the mysoginistic bad faith critics of Brie.

Last edited:

I think Ms. Marvel is written by the same team that wrote the movies for Tom Holland's Spider-Man, because the series gave me massive vibes of Tom Holland's Spider-Man with Ms. Marvel's personally, the art style of the credits, and the relationship that Ms. Marvel had with her friend

Well that was a ton of fun. Great debut for the character. I liked all the integration of the moving images stuff to make it even more playful. The cast in general all fits well and look forward to seeing where this goes next.

Listen, I totally get a lot of peoples’ and fans’ complaints about them changing Kamala’s power sets from the comics, and if that is some sort of barrier for fans not enjoying or wanting to get into the show, I completely understand. That’s totally in your right. Hell, I’ll admit, when watching the trailer for this series, I had reservations of my own.

Having finally watched the episode, however...

I loved it. Nay, I adored it.

The style. The creative visuals with the drawings. That opening with the song choice. The tone. The editing. The cinematography. This show is so totally my speed. There’s more style and energy within just those 5-10 minutes than most of the shows we’ve gotten so far combined.

Most importantly, though, was Iman’s performance as the main character. Admittedly, I’m not super familiar with the character from the comics, just only broad strokes about her origin and her powers set. But, from what little I know, she absolutely nails this role. She is so engaging to watch on the screen, and she feels so real. Her attitude. Her fangirling. Her daydreaming. I think the last time I felt an actor in the MCU really owned their role was Robert Downey Jr. as Iron Man. I can’t see anybody else playing this role like she does. As far as I’m concerned, she is Kamala Khan. She was quite literally born to play this.

I know it sounds like I’m being hyperbolic or hyping this up too much, but I really mean it. I know I’ve said some stuff about the other shows that make me sound like a total MCU fanboy, but it’s really true this time. I don’t think a pilot of a Disney+ show has won me over so quickly within just its opening minutes.

Anyway, can’t wait for the next episode! Iman is a star in the making. Eagerly looking forward to seeing what happens next for the show and for her.

Last edited:
So quick thing about Iman. What I really like about her performance is, though she certainly gives Kamala the spunk we expect, she does so in this very understated manner, which I honestly didn't expect. I'm very curious about Iman's audition because I feel like Kamala on the page, and how a casting director would describe the character, that most actors especially around Iman's age would really feel like they need to project. This almost quiet sass that Kamala has here very much feels like a quality that Iman brought to it. I don't know. I quite frankly love it, and I'm not gonna lie, I had some cynical thoughts about her casting but I'm glad to say I was very wrong.
Yeah, that's it. Although I did expect that after seeing how she has been about the whole production. This has turned out to be a great casting.

Listen, I totally get a lot of peoples’ and fans’ complaints about them changing Kamala’s power sets from the comics, and if that is some sort of barrier for fans not enjoying or wanting to get into the show, I completely understand. That’s totally in your right. Hell, I’ll admit, when watching the trailer for this series, I had reservations of my own.

Having finally watched the episode, however...

I loved it.

The style. The creative visuals with the drawings. That opening with the song choice. The tone. The editing. The cinematography.

Most importantly, though, was Iman’s performance as Kamala Khan. Admittedly, I’m not super familiar with the character from the comics, just only broad strokes about her origin and her powers set. But, from what I know, she absolutely nails this role. She is so engaging to watch on the screen, and she feels so real. Her attitude. Her fangirling. Her daydreaming. I think the last time I felt an actor in the MCU really owned their role was Robert Downey Jr. as Iron Man. As far as I’m concerned, she is Kamala Khan. I can’t see anybody else playing this role like she does.

Anyway, can’t wait for the next episode! Iman is a star in the making. Eagerly looking forward to seeing what happens next for the show and for her. She’s definitely a star in the making.
The power change thing is disappointing and I'm against that in the same way I was against what they chose to do with SW in MoM. Regardless though we can only judge what's put in front of us along with the unnecessary shackles they choose to put on their own product, and in both cases I liked what we got a lot in spite of the direction I didn't want.

I'm not 100% sure I'm following your comment, but The Marvels is not being written by the same people as Captain Marvel from my understanding. However if they write Carol the way they did in Captain Marvel that essentially pushes Brie to play the character in a way that doesn't fit what she can really bring to the role then it doesn't do her any favors. Megan McDonnell wrote Wandavision so Teyonah has already shown she fits her work. I'm just saying Teyonah and Iman thus far felt like very natural fits to their characters whereas the verdict on Brie as Carol has been less glowing. I'm not counting the mysoginistic bad faith critics of Brie.
In the bubble. She's very popular in the role. Her flick had 2.7x legs at the domestic box office, which is high end for the MCU. Overall it made 4m less then Far From Home (CM won the domestic battle by 35m). People liked it and her.

You say you aren't counting the bad faith, but outside of that, there isn't much to argue she isn't popular in the role. Individual opinions are one thing, but don't come close to making up the majority. Which like her as Carol and in general.

Now that we've finally seen what Ms Marvel is like the potential for The Marvels just went shooting up even higher. I really can't wait till this lot all meet for the first time.

I think Ms. Marvel is written by the same team that wrote the movies for Tom Holland's Spider-Man, because the series gave me massive vibes of Tom Holland's Spider-Man with Ms. Marvel's personally, the art style of the credits, and the relationship that Ms. Marvel had with her friend
The showrunner and writer for this episode is Bisha K. Ali. Their one Marvel credit before this was Lamentis.

I definitely get the MCU Spider-Man vibes with the art, but that seems to be a thing they love to do with all their young characters. Kate even had her "art".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"