House of the Dragon Season 1 Episode 2 "The Rogue Prince"

The re-used theme, the lack of tension, the pedo-ass ****… let alone that terrible vocal dub.

I’m out. Nathan Fielder presents more tension and dread on The Rehearsal.

The pilot wasn’t great, but I had hope and all of that went out the window before half way through this second episode.

I don’t know about giving up this early. We’re going to see some pretty cool stuff with dragons when the war starts. Hopefully worth the wait.

I don’t know about giving up this early. We’re going to see some pretty cool stuff with dragons when the war starts. Hopefully worth the wait.
I planned on giving it 5-6 episode before deciding. I expected the slower start since it is a different era in time. Each of the prior seasons always seemed to build up to a few big moments any ways.

I'm not of the GOT theme being reused. Seems like a dumb mandate when Ramin Djawadi could make another great theme.
I get that. I definitely wasn't expecting the same theme to be reused, I was expecting a more epic version of the Targaryen theme similar to the last scene of GOT season 6:

The way I see it, if Star Wars projects like Rogue One and the Disney+ shows started to shift away from using the main theme music then this could have too. Of course I'll never be able to truly complain about it since the main GOT theme is one of the best TV opening themes of all time. I guess they chose to go with it because of how recognizable it is and wanted there to be an obvious connective tissue to the previous series.

My big question is why did they omit the opening titles in the first episode when we're still in the middle of the "prologue" before the time jump, so to speak?

I get that. I definitely wasn't expecting the same theme to be reused, I was expecting a more epic version of the Targaryen theme similar to the last scene of GOT season 6:

The way I see it, if Star Wars projects like Rogue One and the Disney+ shows started to shift away from using the main theme music then this could have too. Of course I'll never be able to truly complain about it since the main GOT theme is one of the best TV opening themes of all time. I guess they chose to go with it because of how recognizable it is and wanted there to be an obvious connective tissue to the previous series.

My big question is why did they omit the opening titles in the first episode when we're still in the middle of the "prologue" before the time jump, so to speak?

It was a longer episode. Time constraints?

Another great ep!

The Rhaenrya/Rhaenys and Rhaenrya/Daemon interactions were such highlights! And of course, Rhaenrya showing up with Styrax like a true boss, getting the job done and then giving a condescending look to Otto and just leaving them all was such a TV moment. The cinematography, particularly the shot of the standoff at Dragonstone was so beautiful. The time skips is kinda jarring but I get it. I see that we will get another one next ep.

I don't understand the Alicent hate (not here, just on social media)? She's clearly a pawn by her father. I've seen people say that she will be the Cersei of this show. I've seen others say too that both her and Rhaenrya are Cerseis but to me she's always felt like a Margaery or even a Sansa. I haven't read the books but I have a general idea of the characters journeys.

Viserys is the type of person you'd shake your head and say "bless his heart". The poor man. He's kind but as Daemon said, being a king is not his strong suit.

I hate how palpable the
sexual tension
is between
Rhaenrya and Daemon
. Or maybe it's because I know what'll happen so that's why I'm noticing it more.

Frankly, Rogue One was more deserving of the main Star Wars theme music than any of the 6 Star Wars movies of the last 25 years. House of the Dragon is still dealing with the Iron Throne. I have no problem with them using the same theme music.

Another great episode. Really liked the cinematography in this one. Rhaenyra, Rhaenys, and Daemon continue to be the most entertaining to watch for me. Rhaenyra dealing with Daemon was the highlight for me. There’s definitely a lot of chemistry there. Viserys’ whole dilemma this episode was super icky. Otto Hightower continues to be an ass. Poor Alicent. I’m also not loving Corlys yet. I feel like the Sea Snake could’ve been more of a commanding presence. Maybe it’s just me but it feels like no one is taking him seriously, not even Daemon. And I do wish Viserys had given some explanation for his decision to the characters at least. The audience knows what’s going inside his head but it seemed like there was a scene missing there.
Rhaenyra’s reaction to his announcement was also a little weird in execution because… Alicent is standing right in front of her. As far as I understand, she’s not supposed to be there. So wouldn’t her being there tip Rhaenyra off that something weird is happening?

It’s a minor nitpick though. I wouldn’t be bothered about it at all if I knew we were going to be dealing with the immediate aftermath next episode but it seems like we’ll be making a fairly big jump. Oh and Caraxes continues to look stunning :wowe:. I’m really loving his chirpy sound design. It’s just so cool.

While I haven't spoken on her before I really do think it's worth mentioning just how great Milly Alcock has been in this show so far and its especially surprising considering she's pretty much a newcomer yet she's able to hold her own with a lot of heavy hitters in particular Paddy Considine and Matt Smith.

I thought Rhaenyra really came into her own during this episode and stood out more so than she did in the premiere although it helps when you give her so many great little moments like the scene with Daemon.

She is definitely becoming one of my favorite characters in this show and I also really appreciated the subtle, creepy, build up for The Crab Feeder which was pretty much just a bunch of disturbing visuals and no dialogue which made it even more perfect IMO than just some random bad guy monologuing.
I’m really impressed with her. Yes, she improved further in this second episode. They cast her very well.

I would love a game where you could fly around on the dragons. I don't know if Lego would make a game for this. I hope we get more games though in this world.
It would be even more amazing if it was Oculus Quest ready as well. :D

Great opening credits.

I love that Rhaenyra is still just the cupbearer. That was such efficient storytelling. The Sea Snake and The Queen Who Never Was continue to be big highlights. Redwyne's off-screen death was a bit odd. That just felt like they just couldn't get the actor back after the pilot. (I'll gladly watch a lot more scenes of Ser Criston Cole though.)

Mellos (seemingly) not siding with Hightower was unexpected at first, but rewatching it, they are just priming Viserys together to choose a new wife. Of course, also knowing that Alicent has been winning him over for half a year. They never literally suggest the alternative, making Viserys believe it was his own choice, but Mellos' looks at Hightower were very telling. Loved that.

Mysaria is the only big character I'm not really sold on. The accent there was very shaky. The pacing is also much quicker in the second half, but there are very clear choices and consequences here. Overall, another really good episode that sets the stakes for next week.

Caraxes sounds like an angry boy going through puberty. Or a car with a bad starter.

When Daemon was having his stand off with Otto on the bridge I would have loved for him to snake his head up the side of the bridge between them. Like he was hanging under the bridge and was curious about the ruckus.

So if these dragons are supposed to be bigger than the later ones to come wouldn't their eggs be bigger too?

So if these dragons are supposed to be bigger than the later ones to come wouldn't their eggs be bigger too?
I believe they all start the same size but continue to grow until the day they die. Since some of these dragons are a lot older than Dany’s dragons, they’re much bigger. And a dragon grows faster (better?) if it is kept free and not in chains or cages. So the dragons born before they built the dragon pit would grow to be gigantic. But those kept inside would have lesser growth.

Anyway, I keep watching the scene at the bridge and I can’t get over Caraxes trilly, chirpy, high pitch growl. So perfect.

I believe they all start the same size but continue to grow until the day they die. Since some of these dragons are a lot older than Dany’s dragons, they’re much bigger. And a dragon grows faster (better?) if it is kept free and not in chains or cages. So the dragons born before they built the dragon pit would grow to be gigantic. But those kept inside would have lesser growth.

Anyway, I keep watching the scene at the bridge and I can’t get over Caraxes trilly, chirpy, high pitch growl. So perfect.
ah gotcha. Yeah I was wondering if balerion was from a bigger egg since he came from Valyria and was not confined. One thing this show highlighted that I never thought of was when they mention the dragon smell. They can tell when someone was riding their dragon cause of the smell. I like that addition.

I'm sure it happened all the time in the Middle Ages gentry. :(
Yeah, Henry VIII's mom was only 13 when she had him.

I will, say, I'm also not a big fan of reusing the theme. But otherwise this was a really great second episode. They've been building up the tension well, and I'm glad they're not afraid to let an episode just be mostly politics and character work, which was always GOT's strongest suit. I do get a little concerned about how quickly they'll be rushing through things in the rest of the season. I understand wanting to get to the Dance ASAP, but I worry that a lot of stuff (especially Laena and Laenor's stories) will end up feeling truncated.

ah gotcha. Yeah I was wondering if balerion was from a bigger egg since he came from Valyria and was not confined. One thing this show highlighted that I never thought of was when they mention the dragon smell. They can tell when someone was riding their dragon cause of the smell. I like that addition.
As a fun fact, it's heavily believed that Dany's three eggs were laid by the same dragon (Dreamfyre) that Daemon stole the egg from in this episode. Dreamfyre had a prior brood of 3 eggs that were stolen by Elissa Farman early in Jaehaerys' reign that then disappeared somewhere in Essos.

Rhaenyra should have burned Otto, the Grand Maester who killed her mother, and the King's Guard to ash and went back and said Cole was enthusiastic to please his king and attacked Daemon and Caraxes killed them all.

ed4ac286-82f4-47fa-b3a0-8f0ba9fee9c7_text.gif

Rhaenyra should have burned Otto, the Grand Maester who killed her mother, and the King's Guard to ash and went back and said Cole was enthusiastic to please his king and attacked Daemon and Caraxes killed them all.

ed4ac286-82f4-47fa-b3a0-8f0ba9fee9c7_text.gif
Indeed. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"