House of the Dragon Season 1 Episode 4 "King of the Narrow Sea"

I thought the parallels and difference between Rhaenyra and Alicent were interesting: one enjoys sexual independence and autonomy while the other… does not. So when Rhaenyra was exposed and confronted, I kinda expected her to be more assured and defiant. Instead, she was contrite. But maybe this serves a future purpose in the plot... :shrug:

Also: I’m not sure where we stand in terms of “time jumps.” But if Rhaenyra is past eighteen, then she’s reached the “age of consent” by even modern standards. So her almost sex with Daemon is not quite as scandalous as it might have been.

I thought the parallels and difference between Rhaenyra and Alicent were interesting: one enjoys sexual independence and autonomy while the other… does not. So when Rhaenyra was exposed and confronted, I kinda expected her to be more assured and defiant. Instead, she was contrite. But maybe this serves a future purpose in the plot... :shrug:

Also: I’m not sure where we stand in terms of “time jumps.” But if Rhaenyra is past eighteen, then she’s reached the “age of consent” by even modern standards. So her almost sex with Daemon is not quite as scandalous as it might have been.
Allicent is a tragic figure already, not looking forward to seeing how things end for the Hightowers. It was easy to hate Otto in the first 2 episodes but Alt Shift X pointed out in episode 3 that even in his case, he's bound by duty also to his older brother. Allicent is trapped but so is Otto to an extent.

Thought the Princess was 16 at best, if not younger.

Just the small matter of it being… her uncle then. :csad:

There's theories that Otto's strings are being pulled by his brother. I wonder will they prove that and or explore that in the future?

Thought the Princess was 16 at best, if not younger.

One article I read figured that by episode 4, Rhaenyra would have been 19 or 20. But I don't know. As mentioned, I've been a tad confused/surprised by the "time jumps."

Just the small matter of it being… her uncle then. :csad:

Well, there is that. :eek: But “consenting adult incest” — though undeniably controversial — occupies a different moral space. Whereas, “sex with a minor” (whether family or not) is universally condemned. So if Rhaenyra is over eighteen, this avoids (at the very least) the latter objection.

...this episode;

WindingAthleticFulmar-max-1mb.gif

One article I read figured that by episode 4, Rhaenyra would have been 19 or 20. But I don't know. As mentioned, I've been a tad confused/surprised by the "time jumps."

Well, there is that. :eek: But “consenting adult incest” — though undeniably controversial — occupies a different moral space. Whereas, “sex with a minor” (whether family or not) is universally condemned. So if Rhaenyra is over eighteen, this avoids (at the very least) the latter objection.
Haha :dry: I think I need a shower after that. GoT morality is a choice between the absolutely horrendous and much worse. No wonder Craster felt at home there.

There's theories that Otto's strings are being pulled by his brother. I wonder will they prove that and or explore that in the future?
Feels like a fair chance. Can't see him just whimpering out of the show from here.

I’m a little confused by what they’re doing with Rhaenyra. Like, is she really that dumb that she didn’t think word would get around that she was hooking up with her uncle in a brothel? They’re pretty distinctive looking. Even if Otto wasn’t spying on her, someone would have said something. She just came from a performance where she found out how much the people DON’T want her to be the Queen; she should have known that people would have talked if they recognized her. Maybe she thought no one would say anything because they also don’t want people to know they were in the brothel, I don’t know. But common sense would tell you that maybe you should at least find a private room. Anyway. Yuck.

She just came from a performance where she found out how much the people DON’T want her to be the Queen;
I think that's exactly why she threw caution into the wind. That's why Daemon took her to see that performance. He purposefully, at least for a moment, destroyed the very image of the life she thought she would have. If she wasn't going to be queen and if nobody would accept her, then what would it matter?

And why shouldn't she? She just saw how differently she was treated when people thought she was a boy. If everybody in that room can, as Daemon points out, why not her? Plus, Rhaenyra is intrigued and obviously has feelings for Daemon. Whereas Daemon wanted them to be seen and even pulls off the hat. He knew the consequences, even if he ultimately couldn't really go through with it. It was a series of very calculated moves to try and turn her into a pawn.

Rather than becoming a pawn though, Rhaenyra then re-asserts herself. She plays the Game of Thrones much stronger than ever before. She outplays Otto, Alicent, and even Daemon to a degree.

That's my read of it anyway. ;)

Rhaenyra and Alicent are of similar age and the latter is a mother of two at this point so age certainly has nothing to do with it. It's all about being a maiden, as losing that makes you tarnished goods in terms of marriage with the nobility. Even the fact that it's her uncle that's involved doesn't mean all that much for a Targaryen as no one would be surprised if they got married, although it of course offers a lot of insult from Daemon towards his brother.

Another thing that I really, really loved in this episode was what they did with the streets of King's Landing. The previous episodes often showed us a familiar location but twisted slightly. These streets however feel much more dangerous and alien. I thought that was incredibly well done!

Shouldn't this go in the Fantasy TV, HotD episodes thread? I had to poke around to find this.

While I'm still engaged with the show, I'm starting to find it repetitive. Every episode is basically the king trying (and failing) to get his daughter to marry, with the odd fight scene/political intrigue thrown in. The time jumps also don't help. Everything feels like it's happening within a matter of days, and yet years are passing by on the show.

Wonder what happens to him now.
I feel like the next few episodes will try hard to garner sympathy for him as he's forced to return home and get treated like **** by his older brother. This was his one shot at building a legacy for himself beyond just being a second son, and for now it looks like he's blown it.

I’m a little confused by what they’re doing with Rhaenyra. Like, is she really that dumb that she didn’t think word would get around that she was hooking up with her uncle in a brothel? They’re pretty distinctive looking. Even if Otto wasn’t spying on her, someone would have said something. She just came from a performance where she found out how much the people DON’T want her to be the Queen; she should have known that people would have talked if they recognized her. Maybe she thought no one would say anything because they also don’t want people to know they were in the brothel, I don’t know. But common sense would tell you that maybe you should at least find a private room. Anyway. Yuck.

I saw it as she was with Daemon a made man in those circles so she assumed nobody will cross him mind you she got outed by the gold cloaks but since Daemon was walking behind her they let it slide

But yeah someone would try to gain favor by snitching.

Quick question and curious how you all feel about it. I think Daemon and Rhaenyra could make a strong couple eventually, but I found Daemon's actions here to be quite manipulative. He didn't consider her an equal and wanted to spite Viserys. Even if ultimately he regrets it, and can't fully go through with it, the damage was already done. Then he doubles down with the marriage proposal.

Similarly, Rhaenyra took advantage of her power imbalance with Criston. He swore an oath, told her to stop, wanted to leave, clearly looked uncomfortable, and really had to take a breath there before giving her what she wanted. Because, after all, he is in no position to refuse.

Yet, online I'm just seeing a lot of people just shipping Rhaenyra with one of the two. People being unhappy that Daemon didn't go through with it or cheering on Rhaenyra for getting with Criston. Am I being a stickler here? I was genuinely surprised by these responses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"