Season 1, Episode 8: "Holding the Wrench" (SPOILERS)

flickchick85

Admin of Might
Staff member
Reaction score
Formerly titled "Truth & Consequences." Official Description:

REALITY – Clark (Tyler Hoechlin) encourages Lois (Elizabeth Tulloch) to reach out for help after noticing her reaching a breaking point. Meanwhile, Jonathan (Jordan Elsass) finds himself in a dangerous situation. Lastly, Kyle (Erik Valdez) encourages Sarah (Inde Navarette) to audition for the musical revue at school. Alex Garfin, Emmanuelle Chriqui, Dylan Walsh and Wole Parks also star. (#108). The episode was directed by Norma Bailey and written by Kristi Korzec. Original airdate 6/1/2021.

Bitsie and Wolé were hyping this one up in that recent EW interview. Both found it really emotional.

I'm assuming that this is when Jonathan has his near death experience, which results in Lois having her emotional breakdown.

I think this is the one where Lois and Jonathan do something together, according to Bitsie.

E2WbXZ2WYAkfscG

SUPERMAN: Here, try the new Kansas chocolate bacon syrup.

SOLDIER: (Resisting) I'm a vegan bro!

I predict that Superman assaults the former Captain Luthor, John Henry Irons, during interrogation Dark Knight-style causing General Sam Lane and the military to intervene.

Well now would be a great time for Jon to manifest some powers, lol.

I really like this scene. Last week we got to see Clark in "terrified Dad" mode in the fortress. It's nice to see Lois' "terrified mom" side come out.

Natalie, not Natasha? Boo.

Kinda awkward having Supes standing there alone in that room with those two guys while they listened to Irons explain how he'll turn on them.

Guess we know why Bitsie was such a fan of this episode. Definitely the meatiest for her thus far.

Was this episode......... weird, to anyone else?? The music was, different?? The dialogue was clunkier. The acting from everyone was kinda off, just a little. Lois in therapy talking about the miscarriage. Jon and Jordan at the rehearsal, especially Jordans response to Jonathan's plea. His line delivery felt off. Maybe it's just me. I don't usually catch the show live. I'm probably just a little tired. But this episode just seemed off compared to the first 7.

Was this episode......... weird, to anyone else?? The music was, different?? The dialogue was clunkier. The acting from everyone was kinda off, just a little. Lois in therapy talking about the miscarriage. Jon and Jordan at the rehearsal, especially Jordans response to Jonathan's plea. His line delivery felt off. Maybe it's just me. I don't usually catch the show live. I'm probably just a little tired. But this episode just seemed off compared to the first 7.
Yeah, maybe a little. Definitely a bit of a weaker episode for me. The highlights were the scenes between Lois and Jonathan.

Yeah your definitely not the only one who felt something was a little off about it, but I thought the scenes with Lois were all pretty fantastic and I really liked the fact that they tried to give her more depth and actual character development in this episode which made me enjoy more than I probably would have honestly.

Bitsie Tulloch is just great in this show and works perfectly balancing Lois as a headstrong, investigative reporter aswell as her also being a mom with her own tragic, personal problems.

Glad to see some trust being built between Superman and John Henry Irons in the end while trust issues came up with General Lane.

Lois is paying the price for involving Jonathan in her world. Now she’s in a similar mindset like her dad, who wanted a son but got Lois instead.

Solid episode, but not as good as the last two. Some weak spots in the writing I didn't care for.

One - suddenly it's that easy to change the A.I. from "Captain Luthor"? They literally made it a plot point that they couldn't get it to change just last episode.

Another- I ALWAYS hate Kryptonite gas as a plot device. Superman is a guy who can hold his breath for a freakishly long time. Why would he ever even breathe it in????

giphy.gif

In fact that whole scene seemed to be one giant BvS homage, which...
7AlQ.gif

In the future, Show, don't homage some of the worst live-action Superman content ever, please.

And finally, the DoD just agreed to let Irons go after the havoc he wreaked in earlier episodes??? I would've LOVED to see that conversation, but we didn't, because it would've been an awfully hard sell. That whole quick turn around with Irons I just didn't really buy. I even feel like Lois talking him down was also too easy.

All that out of the way...there was a lot of good stuff here. The dramatic content was the best it's ever been, imo. Lois' scenes with both her therapist AND Jonathan were A+. Jonathan witnessing what happened to the other Earth's Lois was unexpected and great. And while the Cushing family stuff felt a little out-of-place considering the high stakes stuff going on in the rest of the ep, I'll admit I found the scene where Lana had to break Kyle's heart to protect him quite effective. You know it killed her to do that, as only someone who knew his insecurities as well as she did would've been able to make it believable. But I don't blame her at all for doing it anyway. I was hoping we'd get more flashbacks to the end of the other world this ep, but I guess they're saving that for later in the season. I get the feeling there are still some major revelations on that front to come.

Yeah, maybe a little. Definitely a bit of a weaker episode for me. The highlights were the scenes between Lois and Jonathan.
Yes! Jonathon was the only one up to par. So everyone else really stood out. The pacing was really weird too. Hmm.

I take it that watching last week's episode and tonight's felt like a movie?!

Really good episode. Some nice emotional stuff there with Lois and Jonathon.

Makes me wonder if Superman going eeevil in the other world was because he had another Kryptonian's essence take over his body.

Last edited:
I heard there was a pre-emption in NY.

Whew this was an EPISODE. I could've done without the school play, CW + Singing...I'm extremely over lol but other than that it was a grade A episode.

The Lois/Jonathan scene omg that was good! If this werent CW, Bitsie would win an award.

Natalie, not Natasha? Boo.

I will be annoyed if they dont introduce her as Natasha of E1 and her be E1 JHIs neice.

Another- I ALWAYS hate Kryptonite gas as a plot device. Superman is a guy who can hold his breath for a freakishly long time. Why would he ever even breathe it in????

In fact that whole scene seemed to be one giant BvS homage, which...

In the future, Show, don't homage some of the worst live-action Superman content ever, please.

First, I respectfully disagree with your last comment. :word:

Second...

Kryptonite, especially when it’s in its usual rock/ore formation, is a short-range weapon. And the same is true for certain other manifestations — like edged weapons or gas. Consequently, the villain has to lure and ambush an unaware Superman. But, needless to say, this has gotten to be a familiar (if not tired) trope. You’d think that an experienced Supes would know about the (apparent) ubiquity of kryptonite and, therefore, anticipate the possibility (or even likelihood) of the classic ambush.

At this point, however, I’m almost inclined to treat the ambush scenario as an accepted convention of the Superman mythos. So just as we “wink” about eyeglasses being a good disguise, perhaps we should (likewise) ignore Supes’ tendency to repeatedly fall for the same trap…? :shrug:

All that said, the kryptonite ambush is far more plausible in the case of a new iteration or reboot. In BvS (for example — since you brought it up :cwink:), kryptonite had its own origin story. Indeed, it did not exist until Luthor excavated the raw materials from the remnants of the Black Zero ship and then refined it into a purer form. Subsequently, Batman developed the gaseous and spear tip variations. Thus, it’s hard to blame Superman for failing to anticipate a weakness he didn’t even know he had.

With S&L, on the other hand, we’re dealing with a Superman whose career spans decades. So it’s less excusable that he didn’t “hold his breath” to thwart the kryptonite gas attack — especially since General Lane explicitly warned him that such a weapon was stored in the very place that the villains had infiltrated. :ebr:

And finally, the DoD just agreed to let Irons go after the havoc he wreaked in earlier episodes??? I would've LOVED to see that conversation, but we didn't, because it would've been an awfully hard sell. That whole quick turn around with Irons I just didn't really buy. I even feel like Lois talking him down was also too easy.

Yeah. An additional, explanatory scene was needed to rationalize the sudden shift in attitude towards Irons. (Perhaps one was written/shot but then deleted for time…?) Methinks this is the sort of narrative omission that we often just accept in the other CW/DC shows. But since S&L has raised the bar in so many respects, the flaw here is more conspicuous.

Still, overall, I quite liked the episode. And I didn't notice that it was tonally different or "off" compared to the previous one. Thumbs up from me. :up:

It would be cool if angora lapin turned up. This earth's John Henry Irons evil ex messing with John could be fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Philippe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"