House of the Dragon Season 1, Episode 8: "The Lord of the Tides"

Good episode. Maybe could have been a tad shorter.

Some of the kid casting has been weird but I guess that was always gonna be tough.

...not for shows like DARK - all they need to do is cast initially on noses/brows/chins, or at least build their pool from that.

That's why I can't take the new actress as an "older" Milly.

Some of the kid casting has been weird but I guess that was always gonna be tough.
What's been bugging me ever since seeing the preview for episode 8 last week is that older Aemond looks more like the actor who played younger Aegon and older Aegon looks more like the actor who played younger Aemon. Is it just me?

I'll allow it though because older Aemond is really rocking that eyepatch. Dude looks like an anime villain.

...not for shows like DARK - all they need to do is cast initially on noses/brows/chins, or at least build their pool from that.

That's why I can't take the new actress as an "older" Milly.

Then you have some characters aging quite a bit while others don't seem to age at all (Daemon, Ser Criston, Otto, Graham McTavish, the one old dude on the Council). But yeah, the casting for the age changes hasn't quite worked for me, but I guess I'd rather they go with who they felt was best for the part vs. looking the most like their predecessor.

I agree with you, though, some shows like DARK manage to pull off both really well.

What's been bugging me ever since seeing the preview for episode 8 last week is that older Aemond looks more like the actor who played younger Aegon and older Aegon looks more like the actor who played younger Aemon. Is it just me?

I'll allow it though because older Aemond is really rocking that eyepatch. Dude looks like an anime villain.

Facts.. I kept getting Metal Gear Solid vibes from him. Anyways, I’m ready to see him become a savage.

Very much so. It's such a stark contrast, I can only assume there was some intentionality in that where Aegon's laziness and vice has stunted him whereas Aemond's drive has been made physically manifest.

I am salivating at the thought at what's about to go down. Do we know how many seasons they expect this show to go?

Also have to give it up to Paddy. At first I agreed with some posters that a different actor should've been playing the king and not someone so "unintimidating", but seeing his performance as Viserys was decaying, it became very clear to me why Paddy was cast. Great job.

Last edited:
Poor serving girl :csad: Alicent's struggle with the **** her son gets up to and the horrible things she has to do to fix them.

Aemond's eye patch looks pretty good. He may be a nasty piece of work but he is more convincing now as a baddie.

The dinner tributes from Alicent and Rhaenyra were touching if true, the others a bit less so lol.

"Mostly he ignores you except sometimes when he’s drunk"

"To you as well" *begrudgingly

Rest in Peace my King.

That entrance into the throne room is up there for me as amongst the best in both shows. There's certain scenes from GoT burnt into my mind and this won't be any different.
I love the dude, and yes a pretty iconic entrance, as was his facemask. :D

I am salivating at the thought at what's about to go down. Do we know how many seasons they expect this show to go?

Also have to give it up to Paddy. At first I agreed with some posters that a different actor should've been playing the king and not someone so "unintimidating", but seeing his performance as Viserys was decaying, it became very clear to me why Paddy was cast. Great job.
Yeah, Paddy was great. He was perfect in this. :)

Wow. It's a good thing that happened because it really elevated that scene.

All jokes about decaying Viserys aside, Paddy Considine was outstanding in this, and I really hope there's an Emmy nomination in his future for this episode.

Paddy had a great run as Viserys and it was quite touching to see him have a moment with the family in the state he always wanted. Particularly the toasts between Rhaenyra and Alicent were nice as they felt like they were honest, which makes a nice tragedy that both had that inside them but things will inevitably play out very differently.

I can agree with people that the kid actors aren't looking extremely consistent in the age ups but Aemond now has a really good look that fits his character very well. Daemon seems to appreciate the style of his antics too.

Speaking of Daemon, it was nice to see him have another brotherly moment with Viserys in the throne room, before the latter's demise. Very Daemon to have that then lead to him delivering yet another great cut with Dark Sister.

Overall I loved this episode and I am finding the show highly compelling despite that this seems to be a set up season. At least until now and I'm eagerly awaiting to see what the fallout from this will be (I don't watch previews of coming episodes).

While I'm still somewhat enjoying the show, I can't make up my mind if I think it's a good show or not. My biggest issue is how every episode more or less feels like the same episode. Almost 20 years have passed on the show, and they're still having the same disputes, and still fighting over who is going to be the successor. While we see characters age, time doesn't feel like it's passing. But the biggest problem might be how the characters only seem concerned about succession, and rumors regarding the legitimacy of children. They don't really have anything else to do. Even the Roys of Succession have scandals, power plays to deal with, so things don't feel nearly as stagnate. House of the Dragon just feels much smaller by comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otewe2001
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"