Season 7, Episode 6 "Beyond the Wall" Discussion Thread

If that's possible the builders really ****ed up by not making it immune to fire. They cast all kinds of spells but anti-fire wasn't one of them... who knows.

When they built the wall the White Walkers didnt have a resurrected Dragon. [Blackout]Its fire is blue. Aside from the magical implications, blue fire is hotter than regular orange fire. Blue dragon fire may be a lot hotter than standard dragon fire.[/blackout] And the builders probably didn't think a boy marked by the NK would go past the Wall and screw up the protective magic.

Its not been confirmed that Bran going past the Wall broke its wards but him being marked by the NK destroyed the Blood Raven's protective wards around his cave. Bran's mark may have done the same to the Wall's protective wards.

Mjölnir;35634441 said:
I doubt that the undead dragon will breathe fire as fire is the doom of the cold.

Fire kills humans and yet humans still use dragons.

And fire doesnt harm the White Walkers. Fire shrinks away from them. Even dragon fire.

Orange fire can burn the Wights. We dont know whether a wight dragon's [blackout]blue fire[/blackout] can harm them. But even if it can harm wights that would be a poor reason not to use a wight dragon. The NK will be controlling it.

Last edited:
When they built the wall the White Walkers didnt have a resurrected Dragon. (Its fire is blue. Aside from the magical implications, blue fire is hotter than regular orange fire. Blue dragon fire may be a lot hotter than standard dragon fire.) And the builders probably didn't think a boy marked by the NK would go past the Wall and screw up the protective magic.

Its not been confirmed that Bran going past the Wall broke its wards but him being marked by the NK destroyed the Blood Raven's protective wards around his cave. Bran's mark may have done the same to the Wall's protective wards.

True, but they did know that heat melts ice. Maybe dragon fire has special properties to it (dragons being magical beings and all) but they should have been prepared. It all goes back to Brandon the Builder, man... that guy was too busy getting laid and overlooked tons of things.

At the beginning of the season I was positive the Wall was coming down by the season finale. Now I'm not so sure.

True, but they did know that heat melts ice. Maybe dragon fire has special properties to it (dragons being magical beings and all) but they should have been prepared. It all goes back to Brandon the Builder, man... that guy was too busy getting laid and overlooked tons of things.

They prepared as best they could. They supposedly warded the ever loving **** out of the Wall. But how were they supposed to prepare for something they couldnt conceive of. The Wall was built before the Targs and their dragons came to Westeros. Even if the builders knew about the dragons that lived in Essos, why would they think the White Walkers far in the North of Westeros would somehow get there hands on dragons that live in Essos? That those White Walkers would be able to kill a dragon and resurrect it? Why would they even think that a White Walker could resurrect and control a dragon? Maybe they made the same false assumption Mjolnir just made in this thread. That fire is the enemy of the dead and ice. That the White Walkers would never use any dragon. Even if they did consider it a possibility, they would have warded the Wall against a living dragon's fire. Not a wight dragon's fire. Theyd never seen a resurrected dragon or its flames so they wouldnt know that wight dragon flame is different from a living dragon's flame.

The wight dragon is like Bran's mark. It is a loophole that the NK is going to no doubt exploit.

Last edited:
No, there is no defending this. They ****ed up. Trump is a better wall builder and his ain't even up.

Fire kills humans and yet humans still use dragons.

And fire doesnt harm the White Walkers. Fire shrinks away from them. Even dragon fire.

Orange fire can burn the Wights. We dont know whether a wight dragon's [blackout]blue fire[/blackout] can harm them. But even if it can harm wights that would be a poor reason not to use a wight dragon. The NK will be controlling it.

Humans weren't the ones to give normal dragons life, and the only human that currently "uses" dragons is indeed immune to fire.

My point is that it's the magic of the white walkers that brought it to life, and that magic is clearly rooted in the cold. Humans don't burn like the wights do, even though the latter used to be human. They also die from things that are strongly associated with fire, like dragonglass (volcanic glass) and Valyrian steel (forged in dragon fire), which even goes for the White Walkers. As for dragon fire, we haven't seen any of them take a blast of that yet. The fire will be extremely hot out of a dragon's mouth, but when it's set something on fire then it will only burn according to the fuel it has. You could light a candle with an extremely hot flame, but if you then remove it the candle will burn like normal.

And if nothing else, we know that the White Walkers absolutely hate warmth. They don't even abide the Sun shining on them.

So unless the dragon follows different rules in it's undead state it too will be more susceptible to fire than it used to be, and I think the fire inside will have turned into something else by the cold magic.

It's certainly possible that I'm wrong, and it creates some form of loophole for the white walkers, but I don't think that would be the smartest writing for it given what's been established and what the themes are.

Last edited:
So what exactly is the point of Bran? He doesn't provide useful information (I don't count "there are WW beyond the wall" as useful info at this point), he's still marked by the NK so he's probably inadvertently removing protective spells everywhere he goes and he keeps getting people killed.

tumblr_ov2a0ue0mI1v1xflfo1_1280.jpg

At the beginning of the season I was positive the Wall was coming down by the season finale. Now I'm not so sure.

I think it still might just to leave the situation looking dire for us all during the huge break till season 8 (is leaked).

Man, everytime I have a nitpick of the show or hear/read other people's nitpick (whether or not they are founded) i remember these videos and think about no matter the dumb writing, the jet packs, the plot holes or whatever complain you might have with the show, the reaction it brings from people makes you reconsider it all.
This is an amazing show and perhaps we won't be seeing the likes of it in tv for a long time.
We should be glad to be around and witness this thing.( im not talking about the eclipse lol)
[YT]https://youtu.be/MJsxh0MhXGE[/YT]

[YT]https://youtu.be/KxH4-4MU23c[/YT]

I envy those who will get started on GoT two years from now and be able to watch ALL seasons together.

Please forgive me for my awful english

Awesome artwork! Is that from those other GRRM books or somewhere else?

Awesome artwork! Is that from those other GRRM books or somewhere else?

That's for the show, although I don't know if it's fan art or something from the production.

Other than it being the likeness of the actors there's at least one thing in the painting that makes that scene impossible in the books.

Beric Dondarrion has met his final end quite some time ago in the books, giving his life to Lady Stoneheart.

Mjölnir;35634717 said:
That's for the show, although I don't know if it's fan art or something from the production.

Other than it being the likeness of the actors there's at least one thing in the painting that makes that scene impossible in the books.

Beric Dondarrion has met his final end quite some time ago in the books, giving his life to Lady Stoneheart.

Oh right, of course. If that's fan art it's amazing. Must be a fan who is doing that for a living. If not they soon will be!

I thought Clarke's reaction to Viserion's death was her best acting to date.

Arya is full on banana-pants. Sad to say but all the mistreatment Sansa suffered seems to have been preparing her for dealing with what little monsters her younger siblings have become.
I thought her scene seating on the bed with Jon was the best to date.

If this doesn't end with Sansa and Arya standing together over Littlefinger's bleeding lifeless corpse, then it'll have been a total waste.
It better :)

If this doesn't end with Sansa and Arya standing together over Littlefinger's bleeding lifeless corpse, then it'll have been a total waste.

*cue Ocean's 11 style flashback showing the Stark girls were in on it all along*

the only real nitpick I have is where the hell did they get the chains from and how many wights had to dive down like 100 ft to hook onto the dragon?

the only real nitpick I have is where the hell did they get the chains from and how many wights had to dive down like 100 ft to hook onto the dragon?
As per Emergency Awesome, the chains were taken from Hardhome and the many wights that fell down the bottom placed the chains on Viserion. Someone on these boards (forgot who) mentioned that the NightKing expected and waited for the dragons to come and rescue the group.

NK planning for something like that would require some fascinating explanation about why he would know enough stuff to set up a trap. Not a complaint. A hopeful idea that would make a fun story. According to the mythos, the Long Night was in fact a planetary event that the Westeros equivalent of China experienced just as much as Westeros. Presumably, if White Walkers reached the lands beyond Ashai, they would have encountered dragons then. And maybe there's some kind of sense of magic that the White Wlakers have, similar to the sorcerers of Qarth, to where they'd know dragons have returned to the realm of man.

I don't know, just fun specualtion.

Speaking of specualtion, they once again hammered home Sandor's fear of fire. I liked the touch to his character that even after getting better, he still loathes a necessary element for fighting the White Walkers. Though I also think they have to be emphasizing it again to set up something insane later. Maybe he eventually has to wield a fire sword like Dondarrion? Or maybe if he reaches CLEGANEBOWL (GET HYPE!), Gregor ends up on fire?

This episode was insane. Probably top 3 GoT for me. The things that happened...

Also, do you think they will show the NK or anything beyond the wall in the finale or they are done with the walkers for this season?

Judging from the promo for the finale, I think they focusing mostly on the south and King's Landing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"