Season 7, Episode 6 "Beyond the Wall" Discussion Thread

They'll most probably show NK/BeyondWall in the dying minutes of the ep to stage season 8. I for one am glad that they didn't show everything in the final ep preview.

Mjölnir;35634433 said:
The White Walkers do bring the cold with them, so on that account it could have gotten colder while they were there. That small lake should have been frozen pretty deep given the current climate though.

overthinking it will ruin it for you. for all we know this is just a fever dream Bran is having and he's still in a coma in the bed after falling. The last scene will be him waking up like Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz :)

So what exactly is the point of Bran? He doesn't provide useful information (I don't count "there are WW beyond the wall" as useful info at this point), he's still marked by the NK so he's probably inadvertently removing protective spells everywhere he goes and he keeps getting people killed.

Sure he does but in his own time. Not before. I think he sees possible future events but they're all in flux. I also believe that the 3ER is Bran's consciousness from the future. In a timeline where he failed and he's sent his consciousness back to correct mistakes. First with Bran the Builder and then others in different time periods each time closer to the present and each time closer to the correct sequence of events. But there's so many variables and the future is always in flux because of the changes. It's why he warned himself not to change the past (previous to our current time) again because it would erase the steps he's already taken to get things as close to his goal as he is. This is his last chance. Two things have happened that have changed things as far as I can tell that might have affected the current timeline. One was him affecting Hodor and allowing the NK to mark him and the NK breaking the barrier and killing the previous 3ER host before Bran fully downloaded the Weir net data. Because it surprised the 3ER. And it seemed like when he got the dagger from LF it gave him pause like he was recalculating and getting an update from the Weir-net.

the NK also seems to be able to tap into the future and Bran's visions. I think he set a trap for the dragon. If I were a betting man I'd almost bet they were working together. While Jon Dany,the Red witch and the rest are on the other side.

Free thinking... that's what I want to see... not spoilers hidden as theories.... good job.

tumblr_ov4ks25yVb1rrkahjo1_540.gif

tumblr_ov4ks25yVb1rrkahjo2_540.gif

tumblr_ov4ks25yVb1rrkahjo3_540.gif

tumblr_ov4ks25yVb1rrkahjo4_540.gif

tumblr_ov4ks25yVb1rrkahjo5_540.gif

So what exactly is the point of Bran? He doesn't provide useful information (I don't count "there are WW beyond the wall" as useful info at this point), he's still marked by the NK so he's probably inadvertently removing protective spells everywhere he goes and he keeps getting people killed.

I don't recall if the show explained it or it was D&D in "after the episode" but Bran received knowledge of everything; past, present, and future. However, he was not ready to become the 3ER, so he's still processing this and learning how to piece everything together. That's partly why he's very emotionless and detached.

His most important role will be to tell Jon of his parentage and anything else of the coming danger.

For the mark, they haven't mentioned it at all this season so not sure if it's still in-play. The only magic we know of is the Wall. There's nothing protecting Winterfell (which, in the books, gets its heat from underground hot springs).

I don't buy the NK and Bran being connected yet. After Hardhome, the NK went after the 3ER's cave to kill him, the Children, and, presumably, Bran.

I don't recall if the show explained it or it was D&D in "after the episode" but Bran received knowledge of everything; past, present, and future. However, he was not ready to become the 3ER, so he's still processing this and learning how to piece everything together. That's partly why he's very emotionless and detached.

His most important role will be to tell Jon of his parentage and anything else of the coming danger.

For the mark, they haven't mentioned it at all this season so not sure if it's still in-play. The only magic we know of is the Wall. There's nothing protecting Winterfell (which, in the books, gets its heat from underground hot springs).

I don't buy the NK and Bran being connected yet. After Hardhome, the NK went after the 3ER's cave to kill him, the Children, and, presumably, Bran.

That's why I said almost. I think because the NK knows more than Bran at this point that he's actually using him without Bran's knowledge by anticipating his next move. It's like 9 dimensional chess. I didn't mean that he was intentionally helping him. Just using him to get what he needed to get past the wall. Had he not let Bran go with partial knowledge and abilities then Jon and Dany would have never brought the dragon across the wall. My bad for not making that clear that he was helping him unwittingly. Also we don't know what the real goal is of the children of the forest and the trees. Who's side are they really on? They might want to wipe man off the continent altogether.

Last edited:
Free thinking... that's what I want to see... not spoilers hidden as theories.... good job.

That shizz has been going on for beards...surely you don't think it's a new phenomenon.

Wow....the battle had me on edge. Poor dragon. :( oh now he's a wight. He wont be the same when he crosses paths with Dany and the other two dragons. Oh boi. Looking forward to this Sunday.

80 mins long :D

Wow....the battle had me on edge. Poor dragon. :( oh now he's a wight. He wont be the same when he crosses paths with Dany and the other two dragons. Oh boi. Looking forward to this Sunday.

80 mins long :D
There could be a scene where she gets to look directly at Viserion willing him back but there's nothing left behind his eyes. :csad:

As per Emergency Awesome, the chains were taken from Hardhome and the many wights that fell down the bottom placed the chains on Viserion. Someone on these boards (forgot who) mentioned that the NightKing expected and waited for the dragons to come and rescue the group.

I don't think they were waiting for the dragons to come and rescue them. Even if we accept that they know that the dragons exist, and that they are even in position to come there (which I don't think many people in the world would expect), the wight army started attacking again as soon as they saw that he ice was strong enough. They could easily have killed everyone well before Dany showed up.

he has the same hair he had in the episode lol

Mjölnir;35642193 said:
I don't think they were waiting for the dragons to come and rescue them. Even if we accept that they know that the dragons exist, and that they are even in position to come there (which I don't think many people in the world would expect), the wight army started attacking again as soon as they saw that he ice was strong enough. They could easily have killed everyone well before Dany showed up.
I also don't think this was a specifically prepared trap but the NK is completing to battle after all this time fully prepared and this would include knowledge that dragons have existed in this world and that his fire-vulnerable army might have to face them again.

It was actually Jorah's idea to go up there...

And do some of you genuinely hate the show this much but keep watching it? or just like to point out the flaws? Not being a jerk, seriously asking.. I think the writing sucks too, but damn i enjoy the show... seems like y'all despise it.

It was Tyrion's idea, this was clearly articulated at the map table on Dragonstone and he even (uniquely) called this wight one the Night King's "soldiers". Jorah and Jon volunteered to execute it. Tyrion is the the writers' fall guy uncharacteristically coming up with stupid plan after plan this season to help even the odds in favor of Cersei's side and that of the Army of the Dead.

As for the flaws, those seem to have really escalated in the last couple of episodes where the suspension of disbelief has really crossed the threshold of realism. The show is still enjoyable but that's diminished by so many ridiculous things piling up now and this and other fora are the places to vent such. I just wish GRRM had been hired to write the final seasons or surpervise that.

Just rewatching this episode. How do Arya's faces work? Surely it's only going to look convincing when she's impersonating someone who's the same size as her (which most people aren't). Having the right face isn't going to convince anyone she's The Mountain. Is there some kind of mysticism behind it too?

Just rewatching this episode. How do Arya's faces work? Surely it's only going to look convincing when she's impersonating someone who's the same size as her (which most people aren't). Having the right face isn't going to convince anyone she's The Mountain. Is there some kind of mysticism behind it too?
Yes, it's the mysticism of the Many-Faced God.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"