Season 7, Episode 5 "Eastwatch" Discussion Thread

^^
Exactly. If she enjoyed burning people alive she would have done it with the captured soldiers and not offered a choice at all.

She has no shortage of targets if it was for fun. I think of Daenerys as more of an Empress Matilda figure, ruthless in getting what she thinks needs doing, done. You kind of have to have an ego to think you should be ruling everything, everywhere.

I would think her Drogan's interaction with Jon caused a pretty big leap in faith in him. You could see it on her face. They've been getting to know each other in general but that was a big one.

That was huge. Almost game, set and match just in that moment.

Yeah, I don't buy into this "Dany is evil" stuff.

evil isn't the word... but shes pretty grey area'd.

locking two people in a safe to suffer sold me on that.

How long do you think it took for Xaro to eat Doreah? Half an hour? 45 minutes, tops.

And then they were locked in a vault together.

they probably played marco polo for days

evil isn't the word... but shes pretty grey area'd.

locking two people in a safe to suffer sold me on that.

Yeah but was that Dany's true persona or just the writers figuring out something cool to do with that hyped up safe?

I think he's referencing the book theory that Tormund "Husband of Bears" Giantsbane may have snuck across the wall and... known Maege "We live on Bear Island and have a Bear sigil" Mormont or one of her daughters, since the books make a point that at least two generations of Mormont women have raised a small sleuth of daughters without naming the father.

It's also just possible that Tormund doesn't call out Lyanna because he knows better.
b2bf47076279e682ba15f6d3018141c4--lyanna-mormont-hbo-game-of-thrones.jpg
Ohhhhhh.....I didn't even know about that theory!

Yeah but was that Dany's true persona or just the writers figuring out something cool to do with that hyped up safe?

she also burned the witch alive in season 1... killed one of her biggest fans (daario beheaded him) because he killed a master... which she has done ten fold... burned the unsullied masters because she simply didn't like them and their ways... no trial or anything...

she's a grey character doesnt mean she is evil, there are 50 shades of

oh god someone shoot me.

They then proceeded to show Dany's more humanizing moments (her genuine happiness at Sir Friendzone's return, and her clearly being upset at her future Boyfrie....I mean Jon's leaving to go beyond the wall). Also her obvious love for her dragons (her face when Jon didn't immediately agree with them being beautiful was such an "upset mom" face, it was hilarious).

Doesn't matter, but if the writers choose to write some sick and twisted stuff for characters that we are supposed to like and root for, they shouldn't have done it then.

Take Jaimi for instance. When we first meet him, he's a jerk. He pushes a young boy out the window. Later on, he seems to get better, but then he has this random rape/sex thing with Cersei next to his dead son. It was just such an extreme moment that had me like, WTH? A couple of episodes later, and he's giving Brienne a Valerian steel and tells her to find the Stark girls and make sure they are safe. Serious, what do these writers want from us as viewers, to view this character as?

Doesn't matter, but if the writers choose to write some sick and twisted stuff for characters that we are supposed to like and root for, they shouldn't have done it then.

Take Jaimi for instance. When we first meet him, he's a jerk. He pushes a young boy out the window. Later on, he seems to get better, but then he has this random rape/sex thing with Cersei next to his dead son. It was just such an extreme moment that had me like, WTH? A couple of episodes later, and he's giving Brienne a Valerian steel and tells her to find the Stark girls and make sure they are safe. Serious, what do these writers want from us as viewers, to view this character as?

Human. With great depths of negative aspects and great depths of positive aspects.

I don't think Dani's evil, I just don't think she's the best choice to rule Westeros. Honestly, the best person to rule would be Sam lol

Remember back when Ser Barristan told Dany that the Mad King lost his humanity slowly by tasting the power he had by punishing people?

I think Danny is heading down a dangerous path. She is doing what she thinks is right, but it's taking away her humanity. In the books you see even more of her struggle with the madness that took her father.

I don't think Dani's evil, I just don't think she's the best choice to rule Westeros. Honestly, the best person to rule would be Sam lol

Save Cersei, and Littlefinger, no one on the show is entirely good, nor entirely evil. We've seen characters like Jaime show great nobility, in helping Brienne, and great selfishness, in pushing Bran off the tower to please Cersei.

What we are seeing with Danny is a slow erosion of her humanity through her lust for power and conquest.

Even someone like Rhaegar, who we have not met, we hear from Ser Barrister that he was a noble gentleman who hated war and killing, yet by selfishly following his hart caused the death of countless innocents through his actions and secrecy.

Save Cersei, and Littlefinger, no one on the show is entirely good, nor entirely evil. We've seen characters like Jaime show great nobility, in helping Brienne, and great selfishness, in pushing Bran off the tower to please Cersei.

What we are seeing with Danny is a slow erosion of her humanity through her lust for power and conquest.

Even someone like Rhaegar, who we have not met, we hear from Ser Barrister that he was a noble gentleman who hated war and killing, yet by selfishly following his hart caused the death of countless innocents through his actions and secrecy.

Dany runs the risk of losing her humanity. It would have snapped by now if it could truly be erased. And of the living characters, yes Cersei and Littlefinger are the most corrupt. I would also say Jon Snow, Brienne, and Podrick can be described as wholly good. Not that that is entirely a great virtue for ruling as the first season showed us.

Even Cersei has some good in her. She is a more caring mum than many. But of course she is totally ruthless in every other way, especially against anyone who is a threat to her family's interests, as well as being very bloodthirsty when it comes to revenge.

I don't know. Being leader isn't just about being the nicest guy. :yay:

Even Cersei has some good in her. She is a more caring mum than many. But of course she is totally ruthless in every other way, especially against anyone who is a threat to her family's interests, as well as being very bloodthirsty when it comes to revenge.

That's true, she loved her children and even her hatred for Tyrion comes from the fact that she loved her mother so much and blames him for her death.

I don't know. Being leader isn't just about being the nicest guy. :yay:

Not so much because he's the nicest guy, but because he's morally centered.

I mean, Jon Snow shouldn't because he's TOO trusting and frankly hates the politics of it all. Jon strikes me as someone who'd be happy away from war and farming somewhere.

Sam has consistently shown that when he needs to, he not only stands up for what's right, but is intelligent enough to find away to determine a humane solution.

That's true, she loved her children and even her hatred for Tyrion comes from the fact that she loved her mother so much and blames him for her death.

I don't know if loving your children can be considered "good". Mrs. Voorhees loved her son too. lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"